• The KillerFrogs

TexAgs pays 2 A&M players $10k each for a 30 minute interview

Punter1

Yeah, it won’t be long until locker room chemistry across the country starts imploding when the guys who aren’t getting paid get sick of the guys who are.

This was always my argument 20 years ago when people were shouting for colleges to pay players...there is no equitable way to do it where the starting skill guys who are getting paid the same as a 3rd team OL won't get pissed.

I think I'd rather risk that fight then what we are having now. This NIL is a scheissing disaster 1 month in...which everyone predicted.

Showtime Joe 2.0

If anyone thinks that this NIL system is going to make bagmen and the like obsolete, they're just wrong. There are underground markets for virtually every legal product and service. For example, you can still buy illegal pot from street dealers in states where it's totally legal. And bootlegging cigarettes from low-tax states into high tax states is a major criminal enterprise.

So, star players who will now have to go through the hassle of paying taxes on their NIL income will be delighted to discover that they'll still be getting the traditional $100-$1,000 post-game handshakes from alums and perhaps bigger "under the table" and "tax-free" cash payments from unscrupulous boosters as well. Will there be less of that kind of monkey business than before because of the NIL? Probably. But I can assure you that the bagman is not going to go the way of the dinosaur.

Last edited:

helcap

players have been getting benefits for about as long as people have kept score and and paid attention to wins and losses

the difference now from what i can tell is business is being handled above the table instead of under it, but it is nothing new. heck, we know that don't we
The only difference now is that it is tax deductible for the alumni as a marketing expense. Conversely some players may be surprised when they get a 1099 for the payment and have to declare it on their income tax return

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The only difference now is that it is tax deductible for the alumni as a marketing expense. Conversely some players may be surprised when they get a 1099 for the payment and have to declare it on their income tax return
I imagine that will come as a nasty surprise to those few who get some of that income. Those two Aggies will be shocked about Jan 31, 2022 when they get that sinister envelope in the mail.

LSU Game Attendee

I imagine that will come as a nasty surprise to those few who get some of that income. Those two Aggies will be shocked about Jan 31, 2022 when they get that sinister envelope in the mail.
Any such envelope will be intercepted and taxes will be meticulously filed and covered by the Fighting Texas Aggie Tax Office, sponsored by Mattress Mac.
There is a 0% chance any of these athletic departments will let any of their student athletes anywhere near their own tax obligations.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Would still be illegal by the TX law (and I assume many others). No gambling, alcohol, tobacco, weapons endorsements.
So, Tilman Fertitta has some UH kids star in ads for his ghastly restaurants in Houston. Tilman also owns the Golden Nugget and other Las Vegas properties.

Legal?

froghair

I got a feeling that if some of them them end up owing taxes, someone else will pay for them. I can see things regressing back to the days of unlimited scholarships for those who can afford it.

cheese83

I listened to an interview with Billy Liucci on Houston sports radio about this arrangement. This is just a one time deal for the SEC media days and he’s going to strike another deal w 4 players during the season (2 offense, 2 defense) for weekly 30 min interviews where he will interview 1 offensive and 1 defensive player for TexAgs. They’re going to rotate each week. They also hired away David Nuno from ABC Houston just to be their lead sports guy now.
He was saying it’s going to get crazy when players start getting exclusive interview deals for big radio stations or news outlets.

Eight

I listened to an interview with Billy Liucci on Houston sports radio about this arrangement. This is just a one time deal for the SEC media days and he’s going to strike another deal w 4 players during the season (2 offense, 2 defense) for weekly 30 min interviews where he will interview 1 offensive and 1 defensive player for TexAgs. They’re going to rotate each week. They also hired away David Nuno from ABC Houston just to be their lead sports guy now.
He was saying it’s going to get crazy when players start getting exclusive interview deals for big radio stations or news outlets.

not sure hiring nuno was any type of coup

also lucci is a scheissing parasite similar to ketchum for the horns supporters

cheese83

not sure hiring nuno was any type of coup

also lucci is a scheissing parasite similar to ketchum for the horns supporters

Wasn’t saying it was a coup just that they’re bringing in an on air guy to help expand their content. He was saying how the athletic departments have exclusives with the big broadcast companies but those don’t apply to the players themselves so you should see similar type deals start to take place with other teams.