• The KillerFrogs

FWBP: Dr. Stan Block, legendary TCU finance professor, dies

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWBP: Dr. Stan Block, legendary TCU finance professor, dies
Stan-Block-e1626289429492.jpg

Stanley “Stan” Byron Block, Ph.D., CFA, 81, who taught finance at Texas Christian University for 45 years and was Emeritus Professor of Finance, died July 11.

He was a renowned finance professor whose influence was felt throughout the world of finance and education.

Former students donated substantial funds to create the Dr. Stan Block Endowed Chair in Finance – the only chair ever created by students to honor a professor in TCU’s history. Mr. Block was the first holder of that chair, the family said in his obituary.

Read more at https://fortworthbusiness.com/business/dr-stan-block-legendary-tcu-finance-professor-dies/

Virginia Frog

Dr Block was my advisor in '76 thru '77 and I remember having to sit with him before registration (it was required in those days) in that micro office of his (or was it a closet?) on the 2nd floor of Dan Rogers.

He never had much "advice" for me and seemed to be a little shy and an only-a-few-words kind of guy. He did tell me that I was the most prepared and knowledgeable of the BBA program requirements and offerings of any student he advised. So our advisory interactions got shorter each successive time.

My last semester I didn't arrive back on campus until the first day of classes and I was unregistered. So before an could enroll I had to get his signature. Most the classes I needed (there were a few classes that I HAD to have to complete my degree) were open but a couple were not. He told me, to tell the Neeley Dean (actually the Assistant Dean handled this) that Dr Block said to let me in to those respective classes. Man, it was like God had told the Dean and boom, I was in!

I addition, the next day I heard that there were two openings on the million $ EIF (these 15 spaces were largely intended for MBA students.) Apparently two of the students who'd gone through the extensive EIF admissions process of course & grade analysis, interviews and other scrutiny did not enroll. So I stopped by to see Dr Block and told him of my interest and asked if I could apply. He looked at me and said "you're in", it was like being anointed. It was my lucky day. I had to drop a class to make room for the EIF. I likely would never "gotten in" the EIF with the usual competitive process without my "relationship" with Dr Block.

(While I never went into finance, the portfolio management and security analysis lessons in the EIF have had a dramatic effect on my financial well-being.)

Right then I knew the truth about the old saying: It's WHO you know, not WHAT you know that counts!

With respect, RIP Dr Block

(I had another Dr Block in Economics at a different college who's warm-up joke on the first day of class was that he and Sonny Jurgenson/NFL QB, HOF were Freshmen together at Duke......And that when he was a Senior, Sonny was STILL a FRESHMAN! - I thought it was funny.)

Last edited: