• The KillerFrogs

NIL Starts Tomorrow - Be Aggressive TCU

Wexahu

I agree. I quit pro sports long ago.

Cowboys ~ when Jerah fired Jimmy and hired switzer. I knew it was over.
Rangers ~ when jon boy fired Nolan.
Mavericks ~ I can't stand Mark Cuban.
Hockey ~ Never interested
Soccer ~ The diving is a deal breaker.

I like college sports because no one is bigger than the game or school they play for but this is a deal breaker. The uneven distribution of cash will be the end of it.

Unless they put in some hard and fast rules, it's basically a pro league with no draft, 1-year contracts, free agency, and no salary cap. Totally unworkable.

flyfishingfrog

Unless they put in some hard and fast rules, it's basically a pro league with no draft, 1-year contracts, free agency, and no salary cap. Totally unworkable.
It’s really workable if your goal is to expand the divide between the haves and have nots in college athletics by concentrating the talent in a even smaller set of schools that can find boosters who can afford to fund the pay for play….

be really interesting to see how the schools react when their “donations” drop by an amount close to the level of NIL dollars the teams get….because it’s going to be the same pool given the Wild West approach so far

Longhorn from Aledo

If Nike is going to buy Oregon athletes, which they already are, other schools should drop Nike as their equipment partner in protest

Absolutely but this will not be a have vs have nots. It will be those who care nothing for collegiate sports and only about winning that kill it. There is a right way to do this with the athletes and their lives after sports in mind and one of the moment. Oregan and PK are only about winning right now.

Endless Purple

Absolutely but this will not be a have vs have nots. It will be those who care nothing for collegiate sports and only about winning that kill it. There is a right way to do this with the athletes and their lives after sports in mind and one of the moment. Oregan and PK are only about winning right now.
I agree somewhat. I just think most of the same schools fall on the same side of the line whichever way you call it. Haves such as Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, LSU also do more to win off the field (ie. bagmen) than many of the have nots.

disclaimer: I do not think cheating is nearly as rampant as it was during the SWC days across the sport for most schools. The SEC is just the SWC of today.

Endless Purple

I agree with most here. I think this will end college sports for me as a fan sometime in the near future if it is not controlled. I thought boosters were not allowed to pay players even through the NIL, but that does not seem to be stopping it.

Unfortunately, the NCAA is showing what it truly is. It is not an oversight or guiding organization for collegiate fairness in competition as they want the masses to believe. It is just the mouthpiece of the schools it "represents". It would be nice one day if the 100+ FBS schools not benefitting from it would vote down those top few. No leadership what-so-ever but that is not a surprise.

HFrog12

I agree with most here. I think this will end college sports for me as a fan sometime in the near future if it is not controlled. I thought boosters were not allowed to pay players even through the NIL, but that does not seem to be stopping it.

Unfortunately, the NCAA is showing what it truly is. It is not an oversight or guiding organization for collegiate fairness in competition as they want the masses to believe. It is just the mouthpiece of the schools it "represents". It would be nice one day if the 100+ FBS schools not benefitting from it would vote down those top few. No leadership what-so-ever but that is not a surprise.

It seems like big time college football has gotten too big to fail. So much money at stake and now the players have wedged themselves into stakeholders, over and above the benefits they were already receiving (i.e. scholarships, training, exposure, etc.). I am all for players getting their share. There is a lot of money in CFB and they are the product so I am happy they are getting a shot. What I fear is a detriment to the student athlete. All of those cameos and money making endeavors will last for 4 years max for most of these athletes. I hope the majority stay wise and choose a school that gets them an education and on the right path for the future instead of a short-term buck. I hope the schools are educating these athletes in that way.

I am not a BMD but spend a decent amount on TCU athletics because I love the traditional product of college football. Invested in Legends Club so my young kids can enjoy the game experience and grow to love TCU football. I really hope I look back on that investment and am proud of the state of TCU football in 20 yrs.

Wexahu

I agree somewhat. I just think most of the same schools fall on the same side of the line whichever way you call it. Haves such as Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, LSU also do more to win off the field (ie. bagmen) than many of the have nots.

disclaimer: I do not think cheating is nearly as rampant as it was during the SWC days across the sport for most schools. The SEC is just the SWC of today.

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. I expect every program to do whatever they can to win.

As I've said before, the main problem is not so much the money but the ease of player movement and kids not having to skip a year of eligibility when/if they transfer. Power schools will just pluck whatever players they need from the smaller schools to fill the holes in their rosters. Small schools will effectively be farm teams for the power schools, developing players only to have the good ones leave for greener (literally) pastures. How does a coach possibly build a program like that? It's gonna be impossible. It's gonna suck for fans, and it's gonna suck for the sport. Again, this will hit home with Frog fans once one of better, more indispensable players is plucked by another team.

Keep everything the same but require sitting out a year (absolutely no exceptions) if a kid switches schools, and it would be a workable system.

Eight

you raise the very question i raised above in that i was under the impression in reading and believe others on this thread said that boosters were not supposed to be able to directly "hire" athletes per ncaa guidelines and yet lambert has made no attempt to hide what his motives are in this matter.

consider these comments from an si article on lambert and his plans:

"He has started the corporation Bring Back The U in an effort to continue to help pay Miami football players. His attorney, Darren Heitner, was hired to make sure Lambert is not violating any laws as he continues his efforts to support the team financially.

Heitner told ESPN that Lambert's previous donations and personal love for the team do not keep him from starting a company that assists Miami athletes in getting paid.

"There's no prohibition on an entity who may have a booster as a member," Heitner said. "The only restriction is if the entity itself supports the institution or the athletic department."

"I'm not looking to profit from this," Lambert told ESPN. "I want to try to bring people together and make our team better. I've got too many Gator and Seminole friends that have been s------- on me for the last 20 years. I want to reverse it." "

understand that each state has its own guidelines, but there are a number of businesses that are regulated on the state level, but have a national body that provides some guidance.

am i wrong in thinking that the ncaa did explicitly say boosters could not hire athletes or is this confirmation that the ncaa has no real power over its membership?

HFrog12

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. I expect every program to do whatever they can to win.

As I've said before, the main problem is not so much the money but the ease of player movement and kids not having to skip a year of eligibility when/if they transfer. Power schools will just pluck whatever players they need from the smaller schools to fill the holes in their rosters. Small schools will effectively be farm teams for the power schools, developing players only to have the good ones leave for greener (literally) pastures. How does a coach possibly build a program like that? It's gonna be impossible. It's gonna suck for fans, and it's gonna suck for the sport. Again, this will hit home with Frog fans once one of better, more indispensable players is plucked by another team.

Keep everything the same but require sitting out a year (absolutely no exceptions) if a kid switches schools, and it would be a workable system.

I agree with this take; however, I think TCU is in a unique position here, at least until realignment happens. TCU has done very well in the transfer portal lately and hasn't really been hit by guys leaving that have produced. We are in a P5 league with a lot of resources. The non-P5 guys with lesser resources are going to get hammered. Think a school like Memphis, where we recently got two transfer starters from, is going to take a blow.

Yes, the new transfer rule combined with NIL is going to suck for the sport and the traditional way know college football. However, I do not think TCU is in a horrible position.

LVH

How does a coach, coach?

Players will transfer out the moment a hard nosed coach gets tough on a player and hurts their fee fees.

You will see more coaches that exist to be players friends than their coach.

Wexahu

you raise the very question i raised above in that i was under the impression in reading and believe others on this thread said that boosters were not supposed to be able to directly "hire" athletes per ncaa guidelines and yet lambert has made no attempt to hide what his motives are in this matter.

consider these comments from an si article on lambert and his plans:

"He has started the corporation Bring Back The U in an effort to continue to help pay Miami football players. His attorney, Darren Heitner, was hired to make sure Lambert is not violating any laws as he continues his efforts to support the team financially.

Heitner told ESPN that Lambert's previous donations and personal love for the team do not keep him from starting a company that assists Miami athletes in getting paid.

"There's no prohibition on an entity who may have a booster as a member," Heitner said. "The only restriction is if the entity itself supports the institution or the athletic department."

"I'm not looking to profit from this," Lambert told ESPN. "I want to try to bring people together and make our team better. I've got too many Gator and Seminole friends that have been s------- on me for the last 20 years. I want to reverse it." "

understand that each state has its own guidelines, but there are a number of businesses that are regulated on the state level, but have a national body that provides some guidance.

am i wrong in thinking that the ncaa did explicitly say boosters could not hire athletes or is this confirmation that the ncaa has no real power over its membership?

It doesn't matter. Once you allow kids to accept payments and remain eligible, it's the wild west. Literally impossible to manage.

Eight

It doesn't matter. Once you allow kids to accept payments and remain eligible, it's the wild west. Literally impossible to manage.

does matter in that the organization either continues or it comes apart and the big issues there would seem to be the anti-trust rules and the stance athletes are not employees

suspect that the ncaa has only had the power allowed it by its members and we have seen multiple cases of where schools that stared down the ncaa on cheating for example and won.

seems the nli ruling is allowing certain activities to operate in the light of day versus the shadows. does anyone truly believe miami is NOW paying athletes?

anyone truly believe uo is now paying athletes? anyone truly believe that uo hasn't operated under the protection of the nike and all that money that flows into college sports?

at some point and time there will be an organization that will provided some oversight and guidance for a group of college football programs that band together be that the ncaa in a new shape or form or a new organization formed to operate outside the old ncaa rules

change is going to happen, i suspect we will eventually see a change in the conference structures and would seem like an opportunity for someone(s) who can sell a vision of the future instead of a figurehead organization that can't provide vision, leadership, or direction

hiphopfroggy

Who would you put in instead? I am taking a long view and considering more than just wins and losses. Obviously A&M has been below average on the field for ever, but you can’t deny they are a blue blood program.

Not sure how you can leave Florida off the list. They have nine 10 win seasons since 2000. They have a massive following and have 2 titles in the last 15 years or so. I would say they are probably a top 10 program.

make the case for another team...It’s the off season. There isn’t anything else to do!

I can't deny aTm is a blue blood? I've never heard anyone call aTm a blue blood. How in the world could they be considered a blue blood?

I've tried to put Florida in the blue blood category before when talking to SEC fans and they disagreed pointing out that they didn't have much if any history before Spurrier got their. I'm good with including Florida though.

I guess I'm not sure what the goalposts are here or why the # is 18 or 24. If we are just talking about blue bloods then the ones I removed truly don't stack up to the real blue bloods other than Florida. But even they didn't come up till the 90's.

But yea there will be no super league.

Endless Purple

While I agree with some of your positions and comments, I absolutely disagree with this statement. It is al about trying to cheat to win which is completely the opposite of the intent of sports. Sports are/were supposed to be about sportsmanship, respecting opponents and teaching kids to compete with their teammates and within the same fair intent, not doing whatever thing to twist the rules, find loopholes, etc to win by breaking down the opponent off the field so they do not have a chance to win fairly on the field.

Your statement makes me think of the end of Gladiator where the emperor stabbed Maximus before the fight to weaken him. That is not the type of sports I want to support.

Wexahu

While I agree with some of your positions and comments, I absolutely disagree with this statement. It is al about trying to cheat to win which is completely the opposite of the intent of sports. Sports are/were supposed to be about sportsmanship, respecting opponents and teaching kids to compete with their teammates and within the same fair intent, not doing whatever thing to twist the rules, find loopholes, etc to win by breaking down the opponent off the field so they do not have a chance to win fairly on the field.

Your statement makes me think of the end of Gladiator where the emperor stabbed Maximus before the fight to weaken him. That is not the type of sports I want to support.

Finding loopholes is not cheating IMO. If you're not looking to take advantage of loopholes you have no chance because rest assured, everyone else is doing it. And I think you're being pretty naive if you think TCU hasn't tried to take advantage of loopholes in the past.

This stuff that is going on right now isn't cheating. That's the problem.

flyfishingfrog

Finding loopholes is not cheating IMO. If you're not looking to take advantage of loopholes you have no chance because rest assured, everyone else is doing it. And I think you're being pretty naive if you think TCU hasn't tried to take advantage of loopholes in the past.

This stuff that is going on right now isn't cheating. That's the problem.
sorry - writing a $2 million check to a kid to get him to come to your school or use him to get to his parents - or building a $5-6 million "fund" to pay players that sign with your school under the guise that they are promoting your business in a manner that has a positive ROI is not going to make college athletics better.

There is no focus on the money allowing a kid to eat out or live in a safe place while attending college in these efforts - even though that was the kind of "thinking" that was used to justify athletes needing access to money.

The contracts that have been signed to date are focused on attracting or keeping the highest level of talent by paying them to play ball at your school. Most have been focused on the "star" athlete so far and the one real example of the "team" was created by a guy who flat out said his goal is the get his University back to being a destination for the best athletes by paying them.

Notice how the BringBackTheU discussion didn't mention any of the other hundreds of athletes at Miami that don't play football....because he doesn't care if athletes are struggling, he only cares about winning championships in football again - not matter what it takes.

Wexahu

sorry - writing a $2 million check to a kid to get him to come to your school or use him to get to his parents - or building a $5-6 million "fund" to pay players that sign with your school under the guise that they are promoting your business in a manner that has a positive ROI is not going to make college athletics better.

There is no focus on the money allowing a kid to eat out or live in a safe place while attending college in these efforts - even though that was the kind of "thinking" that was used to justify athletes needing access to money.

The contracts that have been signed to date are focused on attracting or keeping the highest level of talent by paying them to play ball at your school. Most have been focused on the "star" athlete so far and the one real example of the "team" was created by a guy who flat out said his goal is the get his University back to being a destination for the best athletes by paying them.

Notice how the BringBackTheU discussion didn't mention any of the other hundreds of athletes at Miami that don't play football....because he doesn't care if athletes are struggling, he only cares about winning championships in football again - not matter what it takes.

You must have misunderstood me. I know it's not going to make college athletics better. It's gonna make it far worse, so much so that I doubt I even pay much attention in a few years.