• The KillerFrogs

Rest In Peace Dr. Ron Flowers

ShadowFrog

Moderators
We are sad to announce the death of Dr. Ron Flowers. Ron has been an active, devoted member of University Christian Church for over 50 years, and taught the Seekers Sunday School class as long as
anyone can remember. Dr. Flowers was not only a beloved member of UCC, but served on the TCU faculty in the Religion Department since 1966. In honor of
Dr. Flowers, the TCU flag on campus will be flown at half-mast on Friday, July 2.

A service celebrating Ron's life and mourning his death will be held at University Christian Church on Saturday, July 10 at 10:00am.

——-

He was my Professor of Church History and I also took his excellent in-depth class on Sects & Cults. He really knew his stuff, made history come alive & I wanted to learn. Tough grader too, kind but allowed no slackers in his class. I was blessed to learn from him as were many, many others.

JogginFrog

May he rest in peace with his Savior.

I also took his Sects and Cults class and enjoyed it. My recollection from 35 years ago is that the class proceeded progressively from groups nearest Christian orthodoxy (Pentecostals, Salvation Army) to increasing heterodoxy--and Dr. Flowers presented each one from the perspective of adherents with sufficient conviction to leave each of us wondering if he believed in it himself. The final group, defying categorization, was listed on the syllabus as, "A special case: Mormonism."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Dr. Flowers was the sharpest, most inquisitive, and most engaging Professor I had at TCU. For all of you who took one of his classes, and remember, it always floored me that he could walk in, quickly outline his lecture on the chalkboard, and begin said lecture without notes or any other memory cues. His method and manner of delivery, and deep knowledge of the subject matter had even the most shy of students speaking up and asking questions. He truly had mastered the art of kindling a fire in each student that would burn brighter with time.

The Celts had a word for a guy like him: Taliesin. "Bright Mind"

Go with God, good sir.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Dr. Flowers was a great professor that I learned so much from and that I emulate to this day. A truly professional educator who was also a very kind, caring, and conscientious man. He also wrote a recommendation letter on my behalf that I'm convinced got me into Harvard Law School. I could never thank him enough for that. May God rest his soul.

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

I knew Ron since I was a kid. Grew up with his son at UCC (we were in bell choir together). Was really excited to take a class of his while in college, still one of my favorite class experiences at TCU.

The world lost a great one.