• The KillerFrogs

TCU Baseball- The Saarloos Era

tcudoc

Back in the day, Yogi was the Astros bench coach. I believe his job was to sit in the dugout and dispense wisdom and humor, and if that was indeed his job, he was wildly underpaid. Those Astros teams were young, and kept pretty loose by a steady stream of laughs.

One of the guys who kept up with Yogi joke-wise was Casey Candaele, a guy who bounced around in the Minors for a long time, with occasional stops in the Bigs. As I was typing this, I did a quick search on him and found that he is managing the AAA affiliate for the Expos. I'll bet that is a loose dugout...
Is that an affiliate for the Washington Nationals now?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"During the long offseason between the 2019 and 2021 seasons (no minor league seasons in 2020), the Blue Jays assigned Candaele as manager for their AAA club, the Buffalo Bisons, for the 2021 season.[11]"

Well, it was one of the Canadian teams, eh...

In my defense, I have had no coffee, and keep staring angrily at the damned coffeemaker. It's bubbling and gurgling, but so far it's a lot of sound and fury signifying I'll have to wait longer...

flyfishingfrog

"During the long offseason between the 2019 and 2021 seasons (no minor league seasons in 2020), the Blue Jays assigned Candaele as manager for their AAA club, the Buffalo Bisons, for the 2021 season.[11]"

In my defense, I have had no coffee, and keep staring angrily at the damned coffeemaker. It's bubbling and gurgling, but so far it's a lot of sound and fury signifying I'll have to wait longer...
Name doesn’t check out….or maybe it does if you are in constant state of brewing something

OmniscienceFrog

One of the guys who kept up with Yogi joke-wise was Casey Candaele, a guy who bounced around in the Minors for a long time, with occasional stops in the Bigs. As I was typing this, I did a quick search on him and found that he is managing the AAA affiliate for the Expos. I'll bet that is a loose dugout...
The Expos??? I'll bet that dugout is full of cobwebs. :p

PurpleBlood87

I think it's great we have a former catcher on full-time staff...

Catchers make great coaches IMO...they know how to handle pitchers and obviously know how to hit. Guys like Joe Torre, Joe Girardi, Joe Maddon, Mike Scoscia (sp?), etc and now David Ross just seem to have an instant knack.

Mike Matheny, Bruce Bochy, Ned Yost, Brad Ausmus, Bob Melvin and John Gibbons.

PurpleBlood87

Must be tough sharing your stadium with the your Major League brothers.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I think it's great we have a former catcher on full-time staff...

Catchers make great coaches IMO...they know how to handle pitchers and obviously know how to hit. Guys like Joe Torre, Joe Girardi, Joe Maddon, Mike Scoscia (sp?), etc and now David Ross just seem to have an instant knack.
Yadier Molina, one of the great underappreciated athletes, much less catcher, in the last 20 years.

Baseball stats don't do catchers justice. You have to look elsewhere. Like for example, since Yadi took over catch duties for the Cards in 2005, the Cards have allowed 811 stolen bases, the fewest in the major leagues; the second place team, AZ, has allowed 337 more in that same span. Huge Gap!

Yadi should be a 1st ballot HOFer, even more so than a guy like Pujols, but he prolly won't be cause the stats heads are hyper focused on the stats they are fed.

flyfishingfrog

Hoping we use the unpaid assistant opening to get a coach that could help the team learn to adjust to hit for contact both bunting and full swing wise

Adding the dimension of being able to get the run across when it is needed would be a big add for our offense

flyfishingfrog

Soooooo....Baseball.
Non Mo baseball a little in that when down runs - being more open to taking the first pitch fastball to the outfield to advance the runner vs waiting for the first strike before getting the bat of your shoulder

goes against his overall metric that free bases generate runs that directly contribute to comebacks vs the get the run across by using situational hitting approach

NewFrogFan

Back in the day, Yogi was the Astros bench coach. I believe his job was to sit in the dugout and dispense wisdom and humor, and if that was indeed his job, he was wildly underpaid. Those Astros teams were young, and kept pretty loose by a steady stream of laughs.

We had a long time ground school guy at AA that started back in the 50’s. His medical sidelined him early in his career. When I started in 1987 he was the guy that would do the class on the ridiculous amount of rules then and even worse now. The ever increasing woke HR types finally led to his retirement. He would always start class with, “You guys listen up cuz your hearing always gets better at your hearing if you dont”!

BABYFACE

Hoping we use the unpaid assistant opening to get a coach that could help the team learn to adjust to hit for contact both bunting and full swing wise

Adding the dimension of being able to get the run across when it is needed would be a big add for our offense

Yep. Sometimes, you look to advance the runner for however the situation dictates it. It isn’t always swinging for the fences.

I am a swing the bat kind of guy, but there are times a bunt might be the better choice. I would actually like to see more hit and run approaches than a bunt in those situations. Just my opinion.

helcap

Our hitters would rather choke than choke up.

Regarding Kirk Saarloos’ leading tweet, “Bleed purple or bleed out.” Just a suggestion, but simply “Bleed Purple” may be more congruent with Coach Saarloos’ new position as head coach. Elevate. “Bleed out” is imagery many may not care to see, might even consider vulgar, and adds nothing positive. We have enough blood in the streets, and it is red. :)

Ron Swanson

Regarding Kirk Saarloos’ leading tweet, “Bleed purple or bleed out.” Just a suggestion, but simply “Bleed Purple” may be more congruent with Coach Saarloos’ new position as head coach. Elevate. “Bleed out” is imagery many may not care to see, might even consider vulgar, and adds nothing positive. We have enough blood in the streets, and it is red. :)

Beat it, dork