• The KillerFrogs

U.S. Open Predictions

JogginFrog

I remember the grief I received when Killerfrogs posters tried to define my DARKHORSE pick during the Masters Golf Tournament. I cannot remember exactly who he was but now we have come to this again. (Morikawa)? No problem. Its all in good fun. OK . If you really want me to go out on a limb and pick a DARKHORSE I thought about it and its Abraham Ancer. Young guy from Mexico/Oklahoma. Consistently in the money but has not broken through with a PGA win. This would be a good time for him. Its truly hard to gauge since he has not even won a PGA tour event. That is the true defining test. Can you hold up under the pressure during the final round to win. He has not proven that so he is truly a DARKHORSE.

Like this true darkhorse pick. (And Kokrak too.) Abe caught a bit of controversy at the Masters when he picked up a two-shot penalty on a video review for grounding his club in a bunker. Golf Magazine did a nice feature on him a few months ago; apparently he was only offered by one junior college out of high school. (OU picked him up from Odessa College.) Hope he has a good week.

AroundWorldFrog

Don't care but it would be funny to see these two paired in the final group on Sunday! Won't pair 'em together on Thursday and Friday, but can't stop that on Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...lfers-brooks-koepka-bryson-dechambeau-us-open

200w.gif

SnoSki

Video feature on USOpen.com about @SnoSki 's BIL, Johannes Veerman. Nice interview and some good footage of his swing.
https://www.usopen.com/watch/featur...y-veerman-doctor-ambitions-6259492031001.html
Hadn’t seen this, thanks for sharing!

J missed the cut with +6 but I imagine the experience gained and the lessons learned are worth it all. Think I mentioned he played the final practice round with DJ. I haven’t spoken to my BIL today but I bet I hear from him soon.

one question for any golf expert here: will finishing T86 (cut) at the us open hurt or help his OWGR? I imagine just competing in it helps but then again being cut isnt great.

I was able to be out there at the start of his first round (+2) so that was a lot of fun. Pretty surreal to see someone close to you warming up on the US open range between Dechambeau and Woodland.

While waiting all day for his late first round to begin I followed Paul Barjon for a a few shots on 18. Got a few pics from behind the 18 tee but can’t upload from mobile.

I suspect I was rubbing elbows with other frogs in the gallery. Anyone else out there?

It was also fun to see Koepka, JT, Wolff, Morikawa, fleetwood, Kuchar and Phil and others up close at 11 tee. Kuchar looks goofy with his sticks given his height. He looks like he needs to add 3 inches to his clubs.

We posted up there when gates opened Thursday and watched about 6 very strong groups roll through before meandering around. Saw Rory and DJ and Rose tee off. Rory is shorter than I imagined but built like a mini-Koepka.

After walking most of the course there I agree with one criticism I read that said that the course design doesn’t do a stellar job of taking advantage of the terrain there. The ocean, beach and canyons/cliffs hardly come into play whatsoever on most holes. Some of the holes at Torrey are very very good, like 3 and 16, yet many are forgettable. I do love the usga’ s push to include public courses and I hope they do that more often.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Hadn’t seen this, thanks for sharing!

J missed the cut with +6 but I imagine the experience gained and the lessons learned are worth it all. Think I mentioned he played the final practice round with DJ. I haven’t spoken to my BIL today but I bet I hear from him soon.

one question for any golf expert here: will finishing T86 (cut) at the us open hurt or help his OWGR? I imagine just competing in it helps but then again being cut isnt great.

Short answer is that he won't earn any OWGR points for a missed cut. According to OWGR's detailed description, in most PGA Tour and European Tour events, points are awarded to those finishing in the top 25, with amount based on finish and strength of field. For majors, all players who complete four rounds earn points. So making the field in itself doesn't get you anything. Veerman will probably drop a couple of spots from his current ranking of 330 based on the way that points he's earned are slowly amortized over two years. JV has been ranked as high as 211 following a series of top-five finishes in Southeast Asia in 2019.

JogginFrog

Almost worse in real life. Great ocean views but they are totally unrelated to the course. Played north and south probably 15 times apiece and they are both ho-hum. Best part of the course is the weather imo.

Haven't played it, but this idea for re-routing the South course makes sense. Closing with holes 2-6 would make for better TV and probably better scoreboard drama. Move the tees up on 2 to make it driveable as #14, then the infinity green at the 3rd becomes #15, and the cliffside 4th with the parasailers becomes #16. Close with a reachable par-5 (playing this week as a 4), and you keep the last-hole-eagle possibilities.

As to the North course, I wasn't familiar with the plans for Phil Mickelson to redesign it until I read Shipnuck's piece this week for The Firepit Collective. A weird legal ruling prevented him from getting the job, and the Weiskopf redesign ended up being much less bold.

PO Frog

Haven't played it, but this idea for re-routing the South course makes sense. Closing with holes 2-6 would make for better TV and probably better scoreboard drama. Move the tees up on 2 to make it driveable as #14, then the infinity green at the 3rd becomes #15, and the cliffside 4th with the parasailers becomes #16. Close with a reachable par-5 (playing this week as a 4), and you keep the last-hole-eagle possibilities.

As to the North course, I wasn't familiar with the plans for Phil Mickelson to redesign it until I read Shipnuck's piece this week for The Firepit Collective. A weird legal ruling prevented him from getting the job, and the Weiskopf redesign ended up being much less bold.
3 is a little bit Mickey Mouse because it’s so downhill. Not sure if like it that late in the round. You can’t really appreciate the elevation on tv but it’s almost gimmicky.