• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Nobody more deserving.’ Past and present TCU baseball players rave about Kirk Saarloos

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘Nobody more deserving.’ Past and present TCU baseball players rave about Kirk Saarloos

BY DREW DAVISON

Once he heard former and current players were welcome to attend Kirk Saarloos’ introductory news conference as the next baseball coach at TCU, Josh Watson didn’t hesitate taking a break from his day job at Land Advisors Organization and heading to campus on Tuesday afternoon.

Watson called Saarloos one of the best coaches he had during his playing days and a significant reason why he landed at TCU. Saarloos started recruiting Watson when he was a sophomore at Arlington Martin in 2013.

That’s the year Saarloos added “recruiting coordinator” to his title along with pitching coach.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article252162833.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The best kind of endorsements. Reminds me of the GP promotion. The players wanted him elevated to head coach while there was a search and consideration of external candidates.

Frog79

Exactly. Things not said speak rather loudly.

I was talking to a former player who was recruited by Brown and was inherited by Schloss when he was hired. This former player said that he was treated like trash by Schloss and reminded pretty much daily that he would much rather have one of his own recruits in his spot.

It's okay to think those things as a coach but you don't tell a player that, especially as nice of a guy as this former player is. I can see why there are not a whole lot of farewell tweets for Schloss from former frog players.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Schloss a great baseball mind, organizer, proven winner ... but he never came across as long on personality or being a "player's coach."