• The KillerFrogs

U.S. Open Predictions

JogginFrog

OK, @Putt4Purple and others, who ya got at Torrey Pines?

Let's hear your
(a) favorite
(b) darkhorse (outside top 12 +2500)
(c) TCU alum (Hoge, Barjon, Springer)

Betting favorites, per Sporting News
Jon Rahm +950
Dustin Johnson +1500
Bryson DeChambeau +1600
Brooks Koepka +1800
Rory McIlroy +1800
Xander Schauffele +1800
Collin Morikawa +1900
Jordan Spieth +2100
Justin Thomas +2300
Patrick Cantlay +2400
Tony Finau +2400
Viktor Hovland +2400

As for me, I'll go with:
(a) Koepka
(b) Leishman (bad record at the Open, good record at Torrey)
(c) Barjon

Eight

OK, @Putt4Purple and others, who ya got at Torrey Pines?

Let's hear your
(a) favorite
(b) darkhorse (outside top 12 +2500)
(c) TCU alum (Hoge, Barjon, Springer)

Betting favorites, per Sporting News
Jon Rahm +950
Dustin Johnson +1500
Bryson DeChambeau +1600
Brooks Koepka +1800
Rory McIlroy +1800
Xander Schauffele +1800
Collin Morikawa +1900
Jordan Spieth +2100
Justin Thomas +2300
Patrick Cantlay +2400
Tony Finau +2400
Viktor Hovland +2400

As for me, I'll go with:
(a) Koepka
(b) Leishman (bad record at the Open, good record at Torrey)
(c) Barjon

wouldn't it be helpful to know which golfers are and are not vaccinated prior to making a selection?

JogginFrog

If you sum the odds of that list of favorites (not accounting for house take), looks like Field would be about +300, which is pretty good when you consider some of the guys there (Matsuyama, Woodland, Rose, Reed just to start). Rose has won an Open and also won at Torrey. He finally got out of his horrendous equipment deal, so he's back to playing the clubs he wants to. He may not have the length anymore for an Open setup, but he knows what it takes to grind out pars for four days. Woodland too, and he has length. Both those guys are at +6000 - 7000.

Putt4Purple

Thanks for the shout out JogginFrog. Trying to predict a golf tournament winner is more difficult than going to Lone Star Park and predict a Horse race winner. More entries. As a golfer we all know we can play great and feel in control of this great game one day and the next day you will play horrible and be humbled, crying beyond grief!
Having said all that the cream seems to always rise to the top in Major Tournaments. Especially the U.S. Open. The field is more susceptible to new golfers entering the contention arena than The Masters. Younger and more talented from top to bottom.
Occasionally you will have a sleeper creep in and surprise everyone. Can that happen again? It sure can but I will be surprised as anyone if it happens this year.
I'm going to break down my picks according to your criteria. I will choose one for each.

Favorites: I am looking at previous winners or individuals who have played well at the Farmers Insurance Open usually played in January and/or persons who play well in Majors: John Rahm, Bryson DeChambeau, Brooks Koepka, Rory Mcllroy,
My Pick: John Rahm,

Darkhorse: Patrick Reed, Viktor Hovland, Tony Finau.

My Pick: Viktor Hovland.

TCU Alum: To be honest I have not seen any of the three in competition to make an educated knowledgeable pick. I will guess. Sorry to those who know these guys.

My Pick: Hoge.

JogginFrog

@Putt4Purple, by listing the top-12 favorites, I thought I might cajole you into picking a true darkhorse this time. Alas, you listed two of the top-12 favorites (plus Reed, who has similar odds per some books). Anyone further down the rankings that you think might surprise? A couple that I could see contending are Joaquin Niemann and Taylor Pendrith.

Putt4Purple

@Putt4Purple, by listing the top-12 favorites, I thought I might cajole you into picking a true darkhorse this time. Alas, you listed two of the top-12 favorites (plus Reed, who has similar odds per some books). Anyone further down the rankings that you think might surprise? A couple that I could see contending are Joaquin Niemann and Taylor Pendrith.

I remember the grief I received when Killerfrogs posters tried to define my DARKHORSE pick during the Masters Golf Tournament. I cannot remember exactly who he was but now we have come to this again. (Morikawa)? No problem. Its all in good fun. OK . If you really want me to go out on a limb and pick a DARKHORSE I thought about it and its Abraham Ancer. Young guy from Mexico/Oklahoma. Consistently in the money but has not broken through with a PGA win. This would be a good time for him. Its truly hard to gauge since he has not even won a PGA tour event. That is the true defining test. Can you hold up under the pressure during the final round to win. He has not proven that so he is truly a DARKHORSE.