• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU to have a ‘major announcement’, will reportedly name Saarloos

frogs9497

Been interesting to observe the reactions from former players today that made NO comment whatsoever when Jim left. Also interesting that as best as I can tell Jim himself made no comment (though entirely possible if not probable he spoke to Kirk directly). Throw in the fact that it also appears at this point as if nobody from the current staff is joining Jim in College Station and the potential to infer some things certainly exists.

To your point-

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article252144548.html

Still, Saarloos wasn’t considered a lock. Somewhat surprisingly, sources said, Schlossnagle didn’t fully endorse Saarloos as his successor. That led some to believe that TCU and Donati could pursue an outside candidate.

Asked about not “endorsing” Saarloos, Schlossnagle replied in a text message: “I believe Kirk and Bill were both very worthy candidates, each bringing their own unique skill set. I’m happy for Kirk, the staff and most importantly the players that there will be great continuity within the program.

“I have no doubt that the program will continue to grow and wish them nothing but the best.”

During his introductory news conference, Saarloos talked about Schlossnagle giving him an opportunity to be the school’s pitching coach in the summer of 2012 and later said Schlossnagle laid the foundation for an elite program that didn’t need to be “turned upside down.”

Donati even mentioned he wasn’t overly concerned Saarloos didn’t have head coaching experience because he worked under a coach of Schlossnagle’s stature.

“He’s been able to watch and observe one of the greatest coaches in college baseball for almost 10 years,” Donati said. “Jim Schlossnagle is a Hall of Fame coach.”

Still, there were subtle signs of friction.

Saarloos did not mention Schlossnagle when listing off coaches who helped him along the way. The only TCU coach he mentioned was Mosiello, who is staying on TCU’s staff.

CountryFrog

To your point-

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article252144548.html

Still, Saarloos wasn’t considered a lock. Somewhat surprisingly, sources said, Schlossnagle didn’t fully endorse Saarloos as his successor. That led some to believe that TCU and Donati could pursue an outside candidate.

Asked about not “endorsing” Saarloos, Schlossnagle replied in a text message: “I believe Kirk and Bill were both very worthy candidates, each bringing their own unique skill set. I’m happy for Kirk, the staff and most importantly the players that there will be great continuity within the program.

“I have no doubt that the program will continue to grow and wish them nothing but the best.”

During his introductory news conference, Saarloos talked about Schlossnagle giving him an opportunity to be the school’s pitching coach in the summer of 2012 and later said Schlossnagle laid the foundation for an elite program that didn’t need to be “turned upside down.”

Donati even mentioned he wasn’t overly concerned Saarloos didn’t have head coaching experience because he worked under a coach of Schlossnagle’s stature.

“He’s been able to watch and observe one of the greatest coaches in college baseball for almost 10 years,” Donati said. “Jim Schlossnagle is a Hall of Fame coach.”

Still, there were subtle signs of friction.

Saarloos did not mention Schlossnagle when listing off coaches who helped him along the way. The only TCU coach he mentioned was Mosiello, who is staying on TCU’s staff.
So pretty much everyone in the program was done with Jim. Maybe he left the locker room so quickly on that last day because he knew that no-one wanted him in there anymore.

Ron Swanson

To your point-

Still, Saarloos wasn’t considered a lock. Somewhat surprisingly, sources said, Schlossnagle didn’t fully endorse Saarloos as his successor.

And ^this^ is the reason for the “national search”.

Donati was planning on immediately hiring Kirk (just like he was back in 2017 or whenever the MSU stuff happened) but Jim was a dick on his exit interview and tried to blame some things on Kirk, which gave Donati pause and made him reassess the situation.

Then (IMO) after they announced the national search, the entire baseball world came to Kirk’s defense and Donati realized Jim may have skewed things to make himself look better than reality, and that Kirk is our guy. At that point, I think the search was just a formality.

#TeamKirk
#hangloos

Paint It Purple

It’s possible.
It may be possible too, that those same assistants witnessed a HC give up on a team in the last month of the season. Too busy studying the roster in College Station. I will always wonder if words to that effect were exchanged after the last game and that precipitated JS's hasty side door exit. Wild speculation, I know.

Paint It Purple

That money that he put down actually allowed the realtor’s son to be able to afford to go to an elite baseball camp in Arizona for three weeks this summer. So, in the end, it was a really great thing that Jim was completely okay with.
Earnest goes to camp. Know what I mean, Vern?
And, the plot thickens.

And ^this^ is the reason for the “national search”.

Donati was planning on immediately hiring Kirk (just like he was back in 2017 or whenever the MSU stuff happened) but Jim was a dck on his exit interview and tried to blame some things on Kirk, which gave Donati pause and made him reassess the situation.

Then (IMO) after they announced the national search, the entire baseball world came to Kirk’s defense and Donati realized Jim may have skewed things to make himself look better than reality, and that Kirk is our guy. At that point, I think the search was just a formality.

#TeamKirk
#hangloos

Yea, that’s not what happened.

On salaries, I’ve got Loos at $800k year 1 and escalating, which would put him approx. third in the Big 12 behind Tadlock at $1.2+ and Pierce who is currently at $900k but he will get a new deal this summer, probably.

Mo likely in the $500k.

flyfishingfrog

I obviously know nothing about this specific transaction, but in general there could be other contingencies to allow cancelation. Or the seller may just opt to let it go...

With earnest money, if it’s not a substantial amount, the cost of keeping the property off of the market until the closing date (when the transaction won't go through) and then relisting at a time when the market may be cooler would be a good reason to let it go or negotiate a middle ground.

The other aspect is that the seller may need the transaction to go through to allow purchase of THEIR next property. Even if not, they would have to relist and make mortgage and utility payments on the property while they wait for it to close.

So Jim would have negotiating leverage. If he has none, I'm sure he could have written it into his Aggy contract ...
Seems like an odd way to spend time when you supposedly decided to leave town weeks before was more my point….but again whatever - he is persona non grata with all of us now anyway

Which part? Because I know the first part is true (at least the part about the exit interview)

I’m not going to get in an internet fight over this, but suffice it to say (as I’ve mentioned elsewhere) this is not something that has developed solely this season, ADJD is fully aware and has been, and in the Jim/Kirk conflict of late while you wouldn’t have liked Jim’s less than perfect approach, Kirk wasn’t a saint either. Jim didn’t tell ADJD anything he wasn’t aware of, and TCU was going to run a search and solicit interest regardless.

Nobody ever said Loos was or wasn’t the favorite, but this narrative that things paused because of some revelation isn’t correct. Everybody was “eyes wide open” the entire time.

The bet, if you will, is that Loos will grow up and into the big job… probably a good bet, but we will see. A .500 season in year 1 will make things tough, so he will be tested for sure.

RoyaltyWorePurple

Seriously?

there is not an AD in country that does not have a list ready for every major coaching position under them...and a person on their team that has at least talked to the agents to understand the chances.

Well except Texas evidently....

And yes - EVERY large organization in the world does succession planning - names, backups, temp replacement options, salary changes, success gates, etc. Most large organizations do it constantly actually because getting taken by surprise with no plan when the unexpected happens can damage your organization for a very long time....
Succession planning and what you are talking about (putting a contract in front of Saarloos without even LOOKING, or interviewing him/others) is wildly irresponsible. People I know have been the ______ in-waiting at companies. They still need to have either board approval, or go through a basic interview process to ensure their goals and strategies fit with the overall alignment of the business. This can take (gasp) up to a week to happen! If you're talking about OUTWARD succession planning, then TCU did correct by ensuring that a search committee was formed.

Ron Swanson

I’m not going to get in an internet fight over this, but suffice it to say (as I’ve mentioned elsewhere) this is not something that has developed solely this season, ADJD is fully aware and has been, and in the Jim/Kirk conflict of late while you wouldn’t have liked Jim’s less than perfect approach, Kirk wasn’t a saint either. Jim didn’t tell ADJD anything he wasn’t aware of, and TCU was going to run a search and solicit interest regardless.

Nobody ever said Loos was or wasn’t the favorite, but this narrative that things paused because of some revelation isn’t correct. Everybody was “eyes wide open” the entire time.

The bet, if you will, is that Loos will grow up and into the big job… probably a good bet, but we will see. A .500 season in year 1 will make things tough, so he will be tested for sure.
DM sent

flyfishingfrog

Succession planning and what you are talking about (putting a contract in front of Saarloos without even LOOKING, or interviewing him/others) is wildly irresponsible. People I know have been the ______ in-waiting at companies. They still need to have either board approval, or go through a basic interview process to ensure their goals and strategies fit with the overall alignment of the business. This can take (gasp) up to a week to happen! If you're talking about OUTWARD succession planning, then TCU did correct by ensuring that a search committee was formed.
what? nobody waits until after the previous person leaves to create or interview "the list" in the real world - sorry. Every quarter we do succession planning on both Boards I sit on which includes not only refreshing the list but having direct discussions with any additions - internal or external. And the list isn't some "wish list" of cool names - it is always people that we have talked to and vetted for fit and interest. Plus it is already prioritized - C levels roles don't directly compete against each other for open positions - if you told one you had others to interview and would get back to them - they would tell you to shove it.

Final interviews and board approvals are rubber stamps if your succession planning team did their job every day instead of waiting until the crap hits the fan to figure it out.