• The KillerFrogs

News Conference

steelfrog

Tier 1
I love KS. He is a humble and appreciative man, who has earned this job for sure. Very happy for him. I hope he exceeds all expectations.
TBH this is the first time Steel has seen him speak. You can tell a lot about a man pretty quick. Or at least, Steel can. Very very articulate, likeable , genuine guy. Steel is of a sudden very excited about this hire! Seriously. Looks like a great one.

JogginFrog

I believe that the "national search," while mostly serving to give ADJD cover, does reflect favorably on HCKS. And I appreciate that ADJD didn't go overboard in talking about it. He could have said something like, "We looked far and wide for the best candidate and after interviewing dozens of accomplished coaches, we were amazed to find the best guy already on our own bench!"

Instead, he said, simply: "We have an elite baseball program at TCU. We set out to find a coach in the search process that had a vision and a plan to elevate this program even higher. In Coach Saarloos not only did we find a great coach with a tremendous plan, we found someone who is a perfect fit for this baseball program and university."

That's the right tone to frame an obvious hire of a coach who passed on other opportunities to be at TCU. ADJD did well both in not overthinking the hire and in not overselling the "national search."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I believe that the "national search," while mostly serving to give ADJD cover, does reflect favorably on HCKS. And I appreciate that ADJD didn't go overboard in talking about it. He could have said something like, "We looked far and wide for the best candidate and after interviewing dozens of accomplished coaches, we were amazed to find the best guy already on our own bench!"

Instead, he said, simply: "We have an elite baseball program at TCU. We set out to find a coach in the search process that had a vision and a plan to elevate this program even higher. In Coach Saarloos not only did we find a great coach with a tremendous plan, we found someone who is a perfect fit for this baseball program and university."

That's the right tone to frame an obvious hire of a coach who passed on other opportunities to be at TCU. ADJD did well both in not overthinking the hire and in not overselling the "national search."
IIRC, there was talk of hiring a "search firm" at some astronomical cost. Yet, at the presser, ADJD merely thanked the "search committee" which consisted of people already on the payroll. Did they retain a "search firm" or not? I'm thinking that, with the apparent avalanche of support for KS, there was no need. Additionally, it seems that the only name left on their list was Heefner, and he either turned the job down or was only sounded out for his feelings on the matter.

Methinks he was merely doing the least amount of due diligence he needed to in order to hire KS without future backlash of making a rash decision.