• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2020-2021

JogginFrog

Hoge to the top of the leaderboard in Columbus with a 30 on the second-nine, including a second eagle. He appears to have played the easier of the two courses first, so still a challenge ahead...but he's in great shape at the halfway mark.

Paul in uhh

the longest day in golf is anytime we play on a certain daily play in nw houston that for some reason allows multiple fivesomes of average to bad golfers who act like they are trying to qualify
This could be nearly any course in Montgomery county. Even in July.

JogginFrog

Hoge has worked himself back to the cutline. With 4 holes to play, he's in an 11-way tie for 16th at -5. I think it'll end up being -6 to get into a playoff and -7 to get in clean.

Edit: Cole Hammer is tied with Hoge, so he has a shot. Collegians who successfully made it through other qualifiers include Pepperdine's Joe Highsmith and Georgia's Spencer Ralston.

Edit 2: Hammer is now in the U.S. Open field (as of 6/10) due to a withdrawal. Other collegians in the field (per Brentley Romine of Golf Channel) include SMU's Ollie Osborne (based on U.S. Am finish), Charlotte’s Matthew Sharpstene, Louisville’s Matthias Schmid and Auburn’s Andrew Kozan.

Last edited:
Hoge has worked himself back to the cutline. With 4 holes to play, he's in an 11-way tie for 16th at -5. I think it'll end up being -6 to get into a playoff and -7 to get in clean.

Edit: Cole Hammer is tied with Hoge, so he has a shot. Collegians who successfully made it through other qualifiers include Pepperdine's Joe Highsmith and Georgia's Spencer Ralston.
Nice run Highsmith is on. He was struggling to break the lineup a few weeks ago and became the hero at the NCAAs.

JogginFrog

Hoge gets a birdie coming in this morning and qualifies on the number (apparently) at -6. "Apparently" is because 17 players finished at -6 or better, and only 16 were supposed to qualify. I don't see anything about a playoff or alternates being assigned, but those who finished at -5 are listed as MC.

Also finishing at -6 were UT's Cole Hammer and Pierceson Coody, who also appear to have punched their ticket to Torrey Pines.

Edit: Results just updated to show Hammer as the first alternate. Maybe a playoff was in process among the group at -6, which included Hoge, Hammer, Coody, Jhonattan Vegas and Peter Malnati.

With Paul Barjon and Hayden Springer having qualified earlier, we'll have 3 Frogs to cheer for at Torrey.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Hoge gets a birdie coming in this morning and qualifies on the number (apparently) at -6. "Apparently" is because 17 players finished at -6 or better, and only 16 were supposed to qualify. I don't see anything about a playoff or alternates being assigned, but those who finished at -5 are listed as MC.

Also finishing at -6 were UT's Cole Hammer and Pierceson Coody, who also appear to have punched their ticket to Torrey Pines.

Edit: Results just updated to show Hammer as the first alternate. Maybe a playoff was in process among the group at -6, which included Hoge, Hammer, Coody, Jhonattan Vegas and Peter Malnati.

With Paul Barjon and Hayden Springer having qualified earlier, we'll have 3 Frogs to cheer for at Torrey.
so great for all of them...

JogginFrog

so great for all of them...

For all three to advance through sectionals is pretty amazing. There's a lot of low-grade ore in local qualifiers, but very little at sectionals. All things equal, each player had a roughly 1 in 12 shot at getting through. That would be 1-in-1,800 odds that all three TCU alums would qualify.

You can argue that Hoge and Barjon are both ranked in the top 200, so making a 156-player field should be expected, but anything can happen in a 36-hole event, and there are a bunch of tour winners who will be watching the U.S. Open from home: Fowler, Bradley, Dufner, Wise, Swafford, and Holmes among those from the Columbus sectional.

And for Springer to make the U.S. Open field via local qualifying is amazing in itself. Haven't seen the numbers for this year, but in 2019 only 17 local qualifiers made the field out of 9,000+ who teed it up.

JogginFrog

Anybody watching the tour event this week. Interesting course

They've had a couple of courses in the past year that have been first-time tour stops (Concession earlier this year), and I find it interesting to see how guys approach a course when virtually none of them have detailed personal notes from past setups. Right now the leaderboard has about 7 guys in the top 15 who either grew up or played college golf in the Carolinas or Georgia.

Mean Purple

They've had a couple of courses in the past year that have been first-time tour stops (Concession earlier this year), and I find it interesting to see how guys approach a course when virtually none of them have detailed personal notes from past setups. Right now the leaderboard has about 7 guys in the top 15 who either grew up or played college golf in the Carolinas or Georgia.
Watching the replay. Looks great. Ball strikers' fun ground.

JogginFrog

Tyrell Hatton with a no-birdie, no-bogey 67 at Congaree today. His round included 3 eagles and a double. It's the second 3-eagle round on tour (Matthew Wolff had the first).

Since this is supposed to be about TCU golf, I'll mention that David Ravetto is getting a couple of starts on the Challenge Tour (second-tier in Europe) this month and is T15 after a third-round 67 at the Challenge de Cadiz. In four prior Challenge Tour starts, he hasn't finished better than T68, so could be a . He'll also play in the Challenge de España next week at the same resort. You could do worse than a couple of weeks of golf in southern Spain.

Ravetto is 9th on the Order of Merit for the third-tier Alps Tour--not sure if he gets points there when playing up a level. He's right behind fellow Frog Stefano Mazzoli, who is 8th in the points standings and T10 through 36 holes (of 54) at the Open de la Mirabelle d'Or in Metz, France. I think the top 4 on the Order of Merit at the end of season get a promotion.

JogginFrog

A good Sunday for Frog alumni, with three top-11 finishes in Europe:

David Ravetto closes with a bogey-free 68 to finish T6 in Cadiz and earn a shade over $7,000 USD. That may be his largest pro payday and doubles his career earnings on the Challenge Tour.

Julien Brun shoots a final-round 66 to finish a shot back of Ravetto (T11). Brun is now 9th on the Challenge Tour points list--top 20 at end of season earn promotion to the European Tour.

Stefano Mazzoli shoots a final-round 65 to finish T4 in Metz. He is now fourth on Alps Tour's Order of Merit.

flyfishingfrog

A good Sunday for Frog alumni, with three top-11 finishes in Europe:

David Ravetto closes with a bogey-free 68 to finish T6 in Cadiz and earn a shade over $7,000 USD. That may be his largest pro payday and doubles his career earnings on the Challenge Tour.

Julien Brun shoots a final-round 66 to finish a shot back of Ravetto (T11). Brun is now 9th on the Challenge Tour points list--top 20 at end of season earn promotion to the European Tour.

Stefano Mazzoli shoots a final-round 65 to finish T4 in Metz. He is now fourth on Alps Tour's Order of Merit.
Hoping our US based alums have that level of success this week in the open

Paul in uhh

Tyrell Hatton with a no-birdie, no-bogey 67 at Congaree today. His round included 3 eagles and a double. It's the second 3-eagle round on tour (Matthew Wolff had the first).

Since this is supposed to be about TCU golf, I'll mention that David Ravetto is getting a couple of starts on the Challenge Tour (second-tier in Europe) this month and is T15 after a third-round 67 at the Challenge de Cadiz. In four prior Challenge Tour starts, he hasn't finished better than T68, so could be a . He'll also play in the Challenge de España next week at the same resort. You could do worse than a couple of weeks of golf in southern Spain.

Ravetto is 9th on the Order of Merit for the third-tier Alps Tour--not sure if he gets points there when playing up a level. He's right behind fellow Frog Stefano Mazzoli, who is 8th in the points standings and T10 through 36 holes (of 54) at the Open de la Mirabelle d'Or in Metz, France. I think the top 4 on the Order of Merit at the end of season get a promotion.
What Garrick Higgo has done lately is incredible. Something like 2 euro wins and a pga win in his last six starts? His second pga tourney today ever and he wins it.

JogginFrog

Thanks to @TopFrog for posting Drew Davison's S-T article on the three Frogs in the U.S. Open. Some nice quotes from the players themselves about qualifying and Torrey, as well as some quotes from Montigel. Well-reported piece.

Montigel's take on the three players:
  • Hoge: Not afraid to go low
  • Barjon: Best pure ball striker in program history
  • Springer: Makes more long putts than anybody
Will be interesting to see how they fare. I really like Hoge's simple (single-plane?) swing for consistency, but it might be a little flat to move the ball out of U.S. Open hay.

flyfishingfrog

Interesting which TCU golfer shot 68 to make the field at the Tx Am qualifier I tried this year….

Oh what might have been had we not given a traitor the spot instead