• The KillerFrogs

POLL: After the loss of Schloss, who's next?

Poll: TCU's Next Baseball Coach

• Kirk Saarloos

Votes: 125 73.1%
  • Bill Mosiello

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Todd Whitting

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dan Heefner

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Cliff Godwin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters

Pharm Frog

I would imagine it's been in the locker room to varying extents ever since the Miss St flirtation. Whether factual or just rumors and gossip. There's no way players haven't been talking about it amongst themselves.

There was way more specificity than just rumor and gossip AND sometimes we forget that kids from one team actually speak to (and often play with as teammates) kids from other programs.

TCURiggs

“Everyone”? If true then he DEFINITELY would not be my choice for head coach of a program that aspires to be sustainably elite.

Obviously "everyone" is a bit of hyperbole, but from my limited experience in being around Kirk, being friends with some who know him well (and hearing from former players), he's pretty universally liked. That obviously doesn't mean he'd be a great HC here, but I also don't understand why that seems to be such a negative for you? Based on what we know (his personality, character, coaching abilities in the role he's had, recruiting prowess, etc...), I'm all for giving him a shot at HC. I get why you'd want to make a run at Heefner, but Kirk is a pretty damn good candidate, IMO.

Endless Purple

Don't know who is the next head coach, but I hope the person is set to be a head coach and knows to hire good assistants by skills.

That said, The idea of a national search may have more to do with appearances than issues with either of the two already here. Baseball may not get the same attention as football does when hiring coaches, but the school needs to show a history of open job searches. Otherwise, it will be used against the school with negative publicity when GP retires down the road and they want to promote from within or have a specific replacement in mind. Even if the publicity does have little impact, it is setting up to save face so to speak.

NewFrogFan

Granted it's a step back but could we bring Todd Whiting back as a hitting coach? back in those days we hit for average, power, and got our bunts down.

Just think what one run could have done against Kansas last game, Texas first game, win EITHER game and Texas is 2nd place and maybe TCU would have gotten the marshmellow regional they apparently had. I cant believe a coach actually hangs his hat on a philosophy that does not include, “whatever it takes to win”.

Frozen Frog

I think people forget Saarloos has interviewed for other head coaching jobs. His name came up repeatedly as major head coaching positions opened. Everyone thought he was headed to Rice in 2018. He stayed loyal to TCU and Schlossnagle. Who is to say he wasn't promised the TCU job is Schlossnagle left being a reason for staying? Maybe Schlossnagle takes him to A&M with him. I am not saying he is the guy, but a promotion for him would be highly respected.

First Tee Frog

There was way more specificity than just rumor and gossip AND sometimes we forget that kids from one team actually speak to (and often play with as teammates) kids from other programs.
I heard back beginning of may/late April from someone well plugged in both at a&m and in Fort Worth baseball circles that he was a serious candidate but he was hoping they would go another direction. Just wanted someone younger and potentially hungrier. The. Week before regional was told he was probably gone. “Done with Fort Worth” was the quote. Friday of the regional “he gone”. That’s one reason I got so livid with how he managed the 7th inning on Saturday. Felt like he didn’t care to make the right move because if we lost he could go ahead and move on quicker.

YA

Obviously "everyone" is a bit of hyperbole, but from my limited experience in being around Kirk, being friends with some who know him well (and hearing from former players), he's pretty universally liked. That obviously doesn't mean he'd be a great HC here, but I also don't understand why that seems to be such a negative for you? Based on what we know (his personality, character, coaching abilities in the role he's had, recruiting prowess, etc...), I'm all for giving him a shot at HC. I get why you'd want to make a run at Heefner, but Kirk is a pretty damn good candidate, IMO.
I tell you "why" it is a problem for him--he is freaking expert on all things so don't go judging him as he has lots of experience from governmental lobbying to being a division III administrator, lol.

jake102

That’s one reason I got so livid with how he managed the 7th inning on Saturday. Felt like he didn’t care to make the right move because if we lost he could go ahead and move on quicker.

Definitely worth noting that TCU making Omaha certainly wouldn't help him next season and on down the road. Also - the fact that literally dozens of people knew he was gone prior to the postseason even starting is a terrible sign for him and his ability to keep sensitive things to himself. The 7th inning certainly makes more "sense"

hometown frog

I heard back beginning of may/late April from someone well plugged in both at a&m and in Fort Worth baseball circles that he was a serious candidate but he was hoping they would go another direction. Just wanted someone younger and potentially hungrier. The. Week before regional was told he was probably gone. “Done with Fort Worth” was the quote. Friday of the regional “he gone”. That’s one reason I got so livid with how he managed the 7th inning on Saturday. Felt like he didn’t care to make the right move because if we lost he could go ahead and move on quicker.

unfortunately this. All of this. And really a negative end to a great run as skipper. And in my mind right now that almost completely outweighs the positives.

PurpleBlood87

If he’s the best candidate available then there should be no reluctance. But lots of people work hard and do a fine job in their role. Does this mean they’ll do great in the promoted role?

And then there’s the issue of where you want to take the program. That’s a vision thing and if you think you need to change something with strategy and/or structure to get you there, maybe the candidate who’s most likely to get you there is internal and maybe not. But anointing someone without competition is not generally something I would do.

Not saying this is CKS but there are also some people who don't want to be head coaches. I see this all the time in high school sports. Plenty of coaches just want to be an assistant or the OC or DC in football.

Pharm Frog

I’d like to be upset by that 7th inning in terms of the job issue but I still see it as more of a rigid adherence to a philosophy than a lack of caring about winning or losing. Y’all may be right but I’m not convinced based on prior pitching decisions (or no decision)