• The KillerFrogs

Texas Christian University to nix the word 'freshmen' in push for 'inclusive excellence'

YA

Please explain the money spent making this change and why it’s necessary. I would love to know and recognize you are far more plugged into these types of things.
What kind of money are you talking about? You act like changing things on websites thru WordPress is some sort of expensive process. A few written materials need changing, however those things are printed yearly anyway.

jake102

What kind of money are you talking about? You act like changing things on websites thru WordPress is some sort of expensive process. A few written materials need changing, however those things are printed yearly anyway.

Does TCU not use an outside web company? Is it all in-house? I never said the cost was millions, but in my view, an extra $10K of money/salary time is a total waste for this change. It doesn't make sense.

YA

Does TCU not use an outside web company? Is it all in-house? I never said the cost was millions, but in my view, an extra $10K of money/salary time is a total waste for this change. It doesn't make sense.
I would assume all in house.

Either way, the cash argument is so small an outlay to be almost silly.

Zubaz

$10k? 3 interns, 5 cases of beer. Done.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Please explain the money spent making this change and why it’s necessary. I would love to know and recognize you are far more plugged into these types of things.

If you're concerned about the cost of making editorial changes for this, consider this:

For several years after I relocated to OK, TCU asked me to be an Alumni representative at the College Night events at various high schools in the Tulsa area. Prior to each event, the Admissions Office would send me a box full of handouts and fact sheets to give to every prospective student (and their parents), some cheap giveaway items, and the official TCU tablecloth for the display.

Each time I received a box of materials, I would review every handout and fact sheet. The number of typos and inconsistent information was mind-boggling. For example, if there were three different documents that discussed faculty-student ratio, there would be up to three different numbers. Typos ranged from gross keyboard finger-fumbling to the good old autocorrect substitutions (the kf.c favorite excuse).

So, I would take out a red pen, and go through every piece of paper, line-by-line, word-by-word, number-by number and highlight all the errors. Then, I'd mail a copy of my corrections to the Dean of Admissions.

Some times the errors were fixed in the next batch of materials, most times not.

All this to say, TCU already spends a good amount of time and money making changes/corrections to everything it prints.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
In a vacuum, how we refer to a fist year college student isn't that important to me but I have long since stopped viewing any one component of the modern left in a vacuum because it has become obvious that there are pretty much no boundaries as to the American culture, history and experience that they are not willing to destroy if given the chance. In the last year, I think we've seen they are no longer willing to take the long view and accept victory and defeat in the ordinary political process but are willing to resort to attempts to game the electoral system, censorship, and even violence and destruction to get their way. So, spare me the outrage if some people choose to express their displeasure on a message board or stop giving their hard-earned money to the academic side of an institution that has become antithetical to their values.

*first

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I talked to a higher-up. She told me that this was done, as the article states, “to push for inclusive excellence”. More about persons starting classes late in life, not about gender. Most people had associated the word, “freshman” with 18-19 year olds. When a brave veteran on the GI bill shows up, “first year” made sense, and isnt always followed by a chuckle. How damn American TCU is!!! I couldn’t be more proud of my beloved, god fearing university!!!

I really wish maniac would show some respect for our heroes.

As a retired military officer, I'm really skeptical that this is the reason. Wasn't a big deal to be a freshman to all the grizzled Viet Nam vets I attended TCU with; doubt it chafes the ass of many current vets.

A more reasonable explanation is that many high schools around the country (including every high school ISD where I live) now offer programs that allow HS students to accumulate up to two year's worth of college credit while still in high school. (Not uncommon for a student to walk the stage and receive both their HS degree and an Associate's Degree.)

The last student I personally recruited to attend TCU was such a person. She graduated with 2 year's worth of college credit, and it really irritated her that while she essentially entered TCU as a "Junior" hours-wise, she was labeled a freshman.

steelfrog

Tier 1
As a retired military officer, I'm really skeptical that this is the reason. Wasn't a big deal to be a freshman to all the grizzled Viet Nam vets I attended TCU with; doubt it chafes the ass of many current vets.

A more reasonable explanation is that many high schools around the country (including every high school ISD where I live) now offer programs that allow HS students to accumulate up to two year's worth of college credit while still in high school. (Not uncommon for a student to walk the stage and receive both their HS degree and an Associate's Degree.)

The last student I personally recruited to attend TCU was such a person. She graduated with 2 year's worth of college credit, and it really irritated her that while she essentially entered TCU as a "Junior" hours-wise, she was labeled a freshman.
Steels oldest entered UT with 46 hours credit that she accepted. She never at any point in her career gave one dogcrap whether she was labeled a freshman or a geezer. Anyone who cares about that is a moron.

tcumaniac

I'm glad the girl you recruited will no longer be irritated by the condescending label she had to endure.

steelfrog

Tier 1
While I couldn't give two tiny little craps what TCU calls students with under 24 hours of credit, I find it completely laughable that such a change is needed for "inclusive excellence."

Even more laughable is your constant farting, which results when the excess prostaglandins enter your bloodstream and cause other smooth muscles in your body to contract — including those in your bowels. This can lead to flatulance and changes in your bowel habits, which is fancy talk for period farts and the dreaded period poops.

4 Oaks Frog

I want to know who complained about being called a freshman, and why our school didn’t tell the to shut the scheiss up!
Texas Christian University Berkeley…

I’ve gotten to the point that I could give two [ Finebaum ]s about anything at my university except
AWHCGMFP’s team beating the dog [ Finebaum ] out of everyone they play.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERY scheissING BODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!