• The KillerFrogs

Schlossnagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Frog

BINGO - though the problem could lie just as firmly with our board as the AD - what's your take?

My guess is these coaches feel they need a cheerleader rather than an administrator. ADJD's best move this AM would be to knock on the door of every single coach at TCU and ask what they need in terms of support from him! He can't just go about raising money. He needs to make sure the coaches know he has their backs. He also needs to show the fans that he cares. I remember seeing CDC at games and hearing on the radio all the time. I can't say the same about ADJD.

bp4tcu

The difference is Tadlock wanted to be there, that’s his dream job. Jimmy clashed a bit in recent times with the administration re facilities, tuition, etc. Plus the apparent personal stuff doesn’t help. He simply was ready for a change. We are gonna be fine.
I'm not arguing any of that. I'm making the point our program took a step back yesterday and people are acting like nothing happened. Will we be fine? I'm sure we will be we won't know for a while and until then, I'm calling this a negative.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
One cannot have two masters, and JS had made his decision some time ago in his mind. His distracted nature for the majority of the season was baffling, until it was revealed what was going on. He was just playing out the string. No one and nothing in Fort Worth really mattered after that decision was made in his mind. His actions after the final game are indicative of this: He washed off the dirt of Fort Worth and drove away, never to return.

For all of you who are feeling charitable at this point, just remember that the JS just mailed it in for the last six weeks or so. He didn't care, and it showed. This petulance was hardly a credit to an 18-year professional, or to someone who was a leader and mentor to a herd of young men who were depending on him to give his all on their behalf. He didn't, and didn't care to. He was leaving, and if the place collapsed in flames in his rear-view, so what...

Not giving a crap is the cardinal sin here. I can rationalize a lot, but just mentally abandoning your team when they have a shot at greatness is unforgivable.

Get thee hence, little man. I wish you all you deserve in College Station.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It is a tough loss for TCU, but far from devastating. There were some great years, and he will be missed. I guess A&M finally found a way to stop losing to Schlossnagle in the NCAA tournament. I don't think this a great move for either party. A&M is moving further in to obscurity while their tolerance for losing is decreasing. That is a bad combination. They can chant SEC all they want while others win titles and they are stuck at home watching.

I think a lot of people need to look at the TCU program over the past few years. Name the best series win this year. Two years ago TCU barely made it in to the tournament. In 2018 there was no NCAA tournament for the Frogs. I am not saying there weren't other factors. I probably have more tempered expectations than most on this board, but if you look at the recent history it might tell a story as why some at TCU weren't necessarily fighting to keep Schlossnagle like many fans wanted.

This is going to be a make or break hire for Donati. He can't afford to screw this up this move. All of the pieces are in place to make a great hire, and there are a ton of great candidates.

If you are going to look at recent history, you also have to look at our full history. Maybe Schloss just had something that just worked at a small private school. History has shown it has been difficult to win consistently in any sport at a small private school (especially in baseball when parents are expected to pony up $45k to make up for partial scholarships). That’s why we need KS or The DBU guy that know the challenges of private school recruiting. I’m not sure that just having baseball knowledge alone works here.

Brevity Frog

Internet says he left because of divorce, which if true makes more sense and makes me less upset at ADJD. Also makes sense to be close to kids, making Aggy choice more palatable. So is it true or not?

Westsider

The dude is going to be competing against TCU for recruits and likely with some regularity in the NCAA Tournament.

We absolutely do not have to give him an all-caps-thank-you. It’s not an “embarrassment” to be a college sports fan that values your school over one coach. Get off your silly high horse.

And it’s not an embarrassment for thanking a coach for building one of the top 10 programs in the nation and making your school relevant and highly respected.

Big Frog II

One cannot have two masters, and JS had made his decision some time ago in his mind. His distracted nature for the majority of the season was baffling, until it was revealed what was going on. He was just playing out the string. No one and nothing in Fort Worth really mattered after that decision was made in his mind. His actions after the final game are indicative of this: He washed off the dirt of Fort Worth and drove away, never to return.

For all of you who are feeling charitable at this point, just remember that the JS just mailed it in for the last six weeks or so. He didn't care, and it showed. This petulance was hardly a credit to an 18-year professional, or to someone who was a leader and mentor to a herd of young men who were depending on him to give his all on their behalf. He didn't, and didn't care to. He was leaving, and if the place collapsed in flames in his rear-view, so what...

Not giving a crap is the cardinal sin here. I can rationalize a lot, but just mentally abandoning your team when they have a shot at greatness is unforgivable.

Get thee hence, little man. I wish you all you deserve in College Station.
I will always believe that these rumors affected our team mentally the last month, month and a half of the season. That is criminal. Lost a lot of respect for him because of this.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Internet says he left because of divorce, which if true makes more sense and makes me less upset at ADJD. Also makes sense to be close to kids, making Aggy choice more palatable. So is it true or not?
I imagine the truth will come trickling out now that the Big Reveal has been dropped. So far, the JS camp has done all they can to paint Donati as the villain. Since JS lied to us concerning his contacts with A&M and the timeline thereof, I am very interested in the truth of what transpired in the AD's office...

TCUdirtbag

And it’s not an embarrassment for thanking a coach for building one of the top 10 programs in the nation and making your school relevant and highly respected.

Imagine not creating a false choice. It’s not an either or proposition. He was a great coach. Built a great program. Was paid extraordinary money to do so. Appreciate the success, the work, and the memories. Now he’s on the other team — and so long as he is, scheiss him.

CountryFrog

This is so asinine I can barely wrap my head around it. So A&M doesn't offer him, you fire him? People on here would lose their sh!t if that happend. Give ma break.

And I WISH he would have left for a more prestigious job. I don't want to get into the whole discussion of if A&M is a better program than us, but it'd certainly soften the blow if he went to a 'better' school.

Yall are burring your heads in the sand about this. I get that that makes accepting it easier, but I'm struggling to find the positive in this.

Meanwhile, our in state, in conference rival plays on having just signed their HOF coach to a lifetime deal.

Sucks.
You're right. We should all commit mass suicide. I think you're the perfect person to lead us on that journey. So you jump off the cliff first and we'll all be right behind you.

Frozen Frog

If you are going to look at recent history, you also have to look at our full history. Maybe Schloss just had something that just worked at a small private school. History has shown it has been difficult to win consistently in any sport at a small private school (especially in baseball when parents are expected to pony up $45k to make up for partial scholarships). That’s why we need KS or The DBU guy that know the challenges of private school recruiting. I’m not sure that just having baseball knowledge alone works here.

The finances are tough for families especially with the limited scholarships. You can't argue with the total history of TCU baseball. Private schools are doing better with baseball. Especially ones with stronger academics and endowments. There is other financial aid available to baseball players other than athletic. It has to match the policies of the school, but it is possible. Baseball to a large degree is becoming more of an elitist sport. With the select ball and other programs it isn't cheap to play. If money is a major issue, and you are a great player my guess is the minors out of HS is your route. Baseball at a school like TCU succeeds due to families understanding the commitment to college and athletics. College baseball players and their families are rarely focused on only one of those. Not saying the finances aren't an issue, but I don't think the barrier is as high as most think.

TCUdirtbag

I imagine the truth will come trickling out now that the Big Reveal has been dropped. So far, the JS camp has done all they can to paint Donati as the villain. Since JS lied to us concerning his contacts with A&M and the timeline thereof, I am very interested in the truth of what transpired in the AD's office...

I would agree with the observation that he has not appeared to conduct his exit with the character or class he talks so much about.

bp4tcu

You're right. We should all commit mass suicide. I think you're the perfect person to lead us on that journey. So you jump off the cliff first and we'll all be right behind you.
Yeah, committing suicide and being upset about arguably the best coach on campus leaving are the same thing. Idiot.

MadFrog

Thanks Jim for what you did. Too bad your exit was so classless. When you got divorced your decline began.

I hope you take your best shortstop in history with you. You can also take your hitting coach and his useless bat staring.

However, I hope our pitching coach is given the opportunity to lead TCU in the future.

Good luck at A&M. You deserve each other.

First Tee Frog

Well that would be the ultimate in easy button thinking. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see it happen. That said....if it did....ADJD needs to be fired retroactively to the date of his hire.
Just because it’s the east hire doesn’t mean it’s the wrong hire. Not sure what you’ve got against KS but the guy has done a tremendous job here, been highly sought after, provides program continuity in regards to alumni connections and overall culture, knows the ins and outs of the challenges of this job. It’s a home run hire. Just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.