• The KillerFrogs

Texas Christian University to nix the word 'freshmen' in push for 'inclusive excellence'

Zubaz

This reminds me of some manufactured controversy in the early 2000's when I was in school, where some institutions decided to change the terminology for hard drives to something other than "master" / "slave" designations, and people were all upset about "PC run amok" or whatever the term was.

I can't imagine a person giving this literally a second thought. Who friggin' cares. The term 1st Year has been around forever, people are still going to call people Freshmen anyway. Culture war distraction nonsense.

FrogSweep

The word Texas must go, too, considering its racist origins. Then the word, University, derived from the Latin universitas magistrorum et scholarium, which roughly means "community of teachers and scholars" all-male for centuries. Very sexist. (Amon Carter is rolling in his grave at this nonsense.

First Tee Frog

This reminds me of some manufactured controversy in the early 2000's when I was in school, where some institutions decided to change the terminology for hard drives to something other than "master" / "slave" designations, and people were all upset about "PC run amok" or whatever the term was.

I can't imagine a person giving this literally a second thought. Who friggin' cares. The term 1st Year has been around forever, people are still going to call people Freshmen anyway. Culture war distraction nonsense.

It’s so stupid on both sides. It’s dumb to change it and it’s dumb to be upset over the change. It literally doesn’t matter. That said…I realize today that maniac=rand McPherson. Iykyk

TCUdirtbag

What a freaking joke of an institution our alma mater has become.

Yes, a trend started ….. checks notes ….. in 1998 by the “bastion of liberalism” University of South Carolina*

Regardless of there being a gender term within the word “freshmen”, schools have moved toward the term “first year” over 2+ decades in a push to better include transfer and non-traditional students in the university community. TCU may be making this announcement about a formal change, but they’ve effectively done this for years — i.e. the office of “First Year Experience.” Expanding programs historically reserved for “freshmen” to all “first year students” is proven to increase not only a sense of community and inclusion for all students, but also retention and persistence/graduation rates (thereby reducing debt without degree and positively impacting university recruitment and rankings).

Your incessant whining lacks context, reflects total ignorance, and is a desperate attempt to make literally everything all about your political persuasion and an outlet to express political rage.

Shut the scheiss up and go read something. Ignorance is a choice you have made, but it’s not one you have to keep making.

* See https://journals.psu.edu/mentor/article/view/61495/61147

Last edited:

Armadillo

Yes, a trend started ….. checks notes ….. in 1998 by the “bastion of liberalism” University of South Carolina*

Regardless of there being a gender term within the word “freshmen”, schools have moved toward the term “first year” over 2+ decades in a push to better include transfer and non-traditional students in the university community. TCU may be making this announcement about a formal change, but they’ve effectively done this for years — i.e. the office of “First Year Experience.” Expanding programs historically reserved for “freshmen” to all “first year students” is proven to increase not only a sense of community and inclusion for all students, but also retention and persistence/graduation rates (thereby reducing debt without degree and positively impacting university recruitment and rankings).

Your incessant whining lacks context, reflects total ignorance, and is a desperate attempt to make literally everything all about your political persuasion and an outlet to express political rage.

Shut the scheiss up and go read something. Ignorance is a choice you have made, but it’s not one you have to keep making.

* See https://journals.psu.edu/mentor/article/view/61495/61147

honestly, take a lap.

FinanceFrog

At what point does it make sense to email TCU / the chancellor to express the frustration with all this stupidity?

I feel like I used up all my good will with VBo bitching about baseball attendance (only for the team to completely blow it).

you really are a boomer in a 30 year olds body. there’s nothing more white boomer than writing someone a sharply worded letter.

In a vacuum, how we refer to a fist year college student isn't that important to me but I have long since stopped viewing any one component of the modern left in a vacuum because it has become obvious that there are pretty much no boundaries as to the American culture, history and experience that they are not willing to destroy if given the chance. In the last year, I think we've seen they are no longer willing to take the long view and accept victory and defeat in the ordinary political process but are willing to resort to attempts to game the electoral system, censorship, and even violence and destruction to get their way. So, spare me the outrage if some people choose to express their displeasure on a message board or stop giving their hard-earned money to the academic side of an institution that has become antithetical to their values.