• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth NCAA Regional Thread

Dogfrog

so mad he wanted a contract to keep him here until he retired....not buying that line at all about CDC leaving making him angry beyond the fact that not a single upgrade that was promised by CDC and by ADJD has even been started for fund raising, much less planned or completed.

The stadium is the sore point IMO. I get it that it is hard to justify based on avg attendance and revenue produced but you gotta play the game.

Eight

The stadium is the sore point. I get it that it is hard to justify based on avg attendance and revenue produced but you gotta play the game.

concerning a new stadium, would it have to be a completely new facility or could it possibly be something similar to amon carter?

any ideas on the cost of such a project be it new build or renovation?

BBG817

On a similar note, school has few levers to keep him now. They aren’t lowering tuition to help recruiting pool and I doubt we are moving to SEC. These are two main drivers that I think are pulling him to these other schools.

I think his locations for a new challenge are SEC or Texas and Texas isn’t open now. LSU seems to favor another candidate but their athletic department kind of messy now.

Excited for what the future holds with our new coach. His intentions became clearer after Miss St

Spike

Side note: Is our PA announcer about the lowest energy announcer out there?

DISCLAIMER: PA guy is a dear friend of mine.

The school thinks quite highly of him as he does not only baseball, multiple women's sports, and also commencement. He's also done UTA, The Brahma's, The Cleburne Railroaders, and the now defunct FC Cleburne. He can be very high energy but the powers that be prefer he bring it down a notch. This being the post season he has to bring it down moreso as to be neutral. Not sure if you are old enough to remember the 2001 Gallery Furniture Bowl but the stadium PA was an over the top Aggie homer in what should have been a neutral environment. Not only is that very poor form but the NCAA frowns on it.

He was low energy this weekend because he was told to be.

Spike

They aren’t lowering tuition to help recruiting pool

Pretty sure this is his main gripe.

In football we are unhappy because noone wants our coaches. In baseball we are unhappy because coach is willing to entertain others. Which to you prefer?

Purp

@QuilterFrawg the ESPN+ deal will have all Frogs sports on it that aren't football. Lots of them. We have the Disney+ bundle for the kids so it's easy for me to keep it, but I do watch an awful lot of other content on ESPN+. But if all you want to watch is baseball and football then you can cancel until February. If you want basketball too then I'd keep it.

Pharm Frog

The school thinks quite highly of him as he does not only baseball, multiple women's sports, and also commencement. He's also done UTA, The Brahma's, The Cleburne Railroaders, and the now defunct FC Cleburne. He can be very high energy but the powers that be prefer he bring it down a notch. This being the post season he has to bring it down moreso as to be neutral. Not sure if you are old enough to remember the 2001 Gallery Furniture Bowl but the stadium PA was an over the top Aggie homer in what should have been a neutral environment. Not only is that very poor form but the NCAA frowns on it.

Once upon a time I did a lot of NCAA and UIL PA. Hardest job (and not close): NCAA Track and Field National Championships. Most fun: Volleyball. Most boring: Soccer. Second most boring: Baseball. Most nerve wracking: commencement exercises.

And yes...the sponsoring organization can have a great deal of influence on the “energy” and “cheerleading” that goes on. I know I toned it down for UIL football playoffs when the game was held at the venue of one of the teams.

flyfishingfrog

On a similar note, school has few levers to keep him now. They aren’t lowering tuition to help recruiting pool and I doubt we are moving to SEC. These are two main drivers that I think are pulling him to these other schools.

I think his locations for a new challenge are SEC or Texas and Texas isn’t open now. LSU seems to favor another candidate but their athletic department kind of messy now.

Excited for what the future holds with our new coach. His intentions became clearer after Miss St
you realize the NCAA just authorized the stacking of merit and need based aid on top of athletic scholarships - something that was not allowed 3 years ago when he looked to leave for Miss St.

Many people would be shocked by some of the top players we have had on our team that were actually on academic scholarship only because it was more than we were able to give them athletically - because you had to choose one or the other. Not true anymore.

And while that pushed some schools like Vandy over the top to where basically their entire team is on a full-ride - it allowed TCU go close the gap on many State schools if we recruit the right players - guys that are smart enough to get some academic aid for example - which most of our players are coincidentally. Or guys that meet a need based requirement - which is less for TCU but is also less for all schools because youth baseball in expensive anymore.

So right now - Schloss and his staff's job in recruiting is easier that it has been since 2010 regarding that even with the tuition level - and you might notice how it has not come up lately as a problem either.....

Pharm Frog

you realize the NCAA just authorized the stacking of merit and need based aid on top of athletic scholarships - something that was not allowed 3 years ago when he looked to leave for Miss St.

And while that pushed some schools like Vandy over the top to where basically their entire team is on a full-ride - it allowed TCU go close the gap on many State schools if we recruit the right players - guys that are smart enough to get some academic aid for example - which most of our players are coincidentally. Or guys that meet a need based requirement - which is less for TCU but is also less for all schools because youth baseball in expensive anymore.

So right now - Schloss and his staff's job in recruiting is easier that it has been since 2010 regarding that even with the tuition level - and you might notice how it has not come up lately as a problem either.....

This is true.

Eight

character reference from a guy who claims steel as a friend........

BBG817

Many people would be shocked by some of the top players we have had on our team that were actually on academic scholarship only because it was more than we were able to give them athletically - because you had to choose one or the other. Not true anymore.

Did not know that, thanks

Purp

I've felt this program has missed the energy it once had ever since Micah died. I'm not saying that's the reason we've been bad recently and underperformed to our expectations this year, but I think the confluence of that and all of CJS' personal life issues going on in the background seems to have affected his work for several years. Add in the details about his relationship with ADJD and it looks like a perfect storm of events that ends even the best possible runs. Micah represented hope and inspired the program and fans to give max effort and never take the little things for granted. After Micah passed and all these other things came to light Schloss just seemed to have a different energy and didn't have the little guy to remind him how to embrace the suck and persevere.

I don't think we're ever again going to have the Schloss who took us to 4 straight CWS appearances even if we offer him a lifetime contract like Tadlock got. The only chance for Schloss to regain his mojo is to try to get it back somewhere else. And the only way we're going to get our mojo back is to try to get it back with someone else at the helm.

I'm like most others here who are grateful for what Schloss brought to the program and how he elevated it to one of the most fun things I look forward to every year in college sports. That said, if he decides to coach somewhere else I think it would be a mutually beneficial separation.