• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Men's Golf Advances to NCAA Championship

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2021/5/19/mens-golf-horned-frogs-advance-to-ncaa-championship.aspx

GoFrogs: Horned Frogs Advance to NCAA Championship

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – With its best round of the week, the TCU men's golf team finished in fifth place Wednesday at the NCAA Regional at Seminole Legacy Golf Club and advanced to its 22nd NCAA Championship.

TCU will be making its second consecutive and fourth NCAA Championship appearance in the last six seasons that it's been held when the event begins at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz., May 28 – June 2.

"I'm really proud of the guys," said head coach Bill Montigel. "It was a total team effort. I'm excited to see what can happen next week at nationals."

With the goal of making the top five, the Horned Frogs began the day in sixth place, four shots out of fifth. TCU shot 6-under 282, the third-best round of any team on Wednesday, and finished fifth at 9-under 855, two strokes over Ohio State (-7) and three strokes over Kansas (-6)

Jacob Skov Olesen once again led the Horned Frogs with a round of 3-under 69. It was the 12th time in his last 14 rounds that the Denmark native has gone under par. For the tournament, Olesen shot 6-under 210 and tied for eighth.

Filippo Celli shot 2-under 214 overall and finished tied for 18th. He shot at or under par in all three rounds and shot even-par 72 and made some clutch shots in the final round.

Mateo Fernández de Oliveira jumped up 12 spots to a tie for 23rd place. He had just one bogey on the way to shooting 2-under 70. The Argentine shot even-par 216 for the week.

Gustav Frimodt made three birdies and shot 1-under 71 for the day. He was 1-over 217 and finished tied for 28th overall.

TCU RESULTS
5. TCU: 290 – 283 = 573 (-9)
T8. Jacob Skov Olesen: 70 – 71 – 69 = 210 (-6)
T18. Filippo Celli: 70 – 72 – 72 = 214 (-2)
T23. Mateo Fernández de Oliveira: 75 – 71 – 70 = 216 (E)
T28. Gustav Frimodt: 77 – 69 – 71 = 217 (+1)
T64. Aymeric Laussot: 75 – 74 – 79 = 228 (+12)

TEAM RESULTS
1. #2 Florida State: 271 – 281 – 278 = 830 (-34)
2. #11 Georgia: 285 – 282 – 280 = 847 (-17)
3. #27 Georgia Tech: 277 – 286 – 285 = 848 (-16)
4. #16 Liberty: 283 – 277 - 289 = 849 (-15)
5. #40 TCU: 290 – 283 – 282 = 855 (-9)
6. Ohio State: 284 – 285 – 288 = 857 (-7)
7. Kansas: 288 – 286 – 284 = 858 (-6)
8. #34 Georgia Southern: 291 – 285 – 288 = 576 (E)
9. #45 Indiana: 290 – 290 – 289 = 869 (+5)
T10. #23 LSU: 291 – 289 – 294 = 874 (+10)
T10. Davidson: 288 – 297 – 289 = 874 (+10)
12. USC: 302 – 296 – 297 = 895 (+31)
13. Florida A&M: 301 – 307 – 294 = 902 (+38)
14. Long Island U: 307 – 316 – 312 = 923 (+47)

froginmn

I'm a little surprised by the championship venue. I've played at Grayhawk and it's nice but I guess I expected a more prestigious and challenging course.

flyfishingfrog

I'm a little surprised by the championship venue. I've played at Grayhawk and it's nice but I guess I expected a more prestigious and challenging course.
They are not playing the whites….

Raptor is sloped at 140 from the backs - which is about on “par” for a regular PGA tour level venue

personally don’t think seeing a bunch of college kids struggling like it’s the US Open is what they need during stroke play and Raptor will be great for the match play given the risk reward aspects of many of the holes

not a huge Fazio fan but always thought Raptor was one of his better layouts and it will kick you butt from the backs given how divided up the greens are

tried to Senior US Open local qualifier out there once and decided cactus are not my thing when you have to play out of the desert

doubt many of the private clubs out there would give up a week for the NCAA but really outside of Desert Mountain - not sure where they would have even gone. Desert Highlands is a joke for a design, Troon country club isn’t challenging enough. Whisper Rock and Golf Club of Scottsdale would not have passed the gender test

They pretty much had to go public and Grayhawk along with Troon North are really the two that could close a course this time of year and not suffer too bad since they have other tracks

Pharm Frog

Raptor is sloped at 140 from the backs - which is about on “par” for a regular PGA tour level venue

personally don’t think seeing a bunch of college kids struggling like it’s the US Open is what they need during stroke play and Raptor will be great for the match play given the risk reward aspects of many of the holes

not a huge Fazio fan but always thought Raptor was one of his better layouts and it will kick you butt from the backs given how divided up the greens are

tried to Senior US Open local qualifier out there once and decided cactus are not my thing when you have to play out of the desert

doubt many of the private clubs out there would give up a week for the NCAA but really outside of Desert Mountain - not sure where they would have even gone. Desert Highlands is a joke for a design, Troon country club isn’t challenging enough. Whisper Rock and Golf Club of Scottsdale would not have passed the gender test

They pretty much had to go public and Grayhawk along with Troon North are really the two that could close a course this time of year and not suffer too bad since they have other tracks

I was looking for this post. One of my former bosses (retired for several years now) reminded me that I “played” Whisper Rock. Humiliating experience as I recall. More than usual humiliation on a golf course for me.

flyfishingfrog

I was looking for this post. One of my former bosses (retired for several years now) reminded me that I “played” Whisper Rock. Humiliating experience as I recall. More than usual humiliation on a golf course for me.
WhisperRock is an great course snd a better club - but you definitely need your A game or it will tear you up.

but what a club - course is always tour ready condition and speed wise, great caddy program, everyone walks, you never touch your clubs except on the course, the food is great and the drinks are strong

all things every private club you strive for if you ask me

There is a reason so many of the tour pros that live in Scottsdale play out of there- and it’s not just so they can all be together

TCUdirtbag

I'm proud of them, too, and aways will be. But can't help but ask, are there ANY Americans on our Frog team?

^After I read this, I was startled at this:

200.gif

But then my mind got back to golf and all good #notracist

PO Frog

WhisperRock is an great course snd a better club - but you definitely need your A game or it will tear you up.

but what a club - course is always tour ready condition and speed wise, great caddy program, everyone walks, you never touch your clubs except on the course, the food is great and the drinks are strong

There is a reason so many of the tour pros that live in Scottsdale play out of there- and it’s not just so they can all be together
My brother was the super of the lower course there for a decade. Just fantastic

Pharm Frog

I think I had my A-game and was still humiliated. But what did you mean by gender issues?

flyfishingfrog

I think I had my A-game and was still humiliated. But what did you mean by gender issues?
things might have changed - but a fellow Frog was a member there for several years (that is how I got to play it) and at the time I think the only female member they had was the founder Gregg Tryhus' wife - who plays golf but not really that much.

They don't ban females from playing by any means - and like a lot of private clubs they say they have invited women to be members but mysteriously none have said yes......

Maybe that is because the men's locker room was rated in the top 10 in the country and I think the women's was behind the broom closet....

but there are almost as many LPGA tour members in Scottsdale as PGA tour members - so I would think if they really were trying, they could find a group to join.

Not sure how having the Women's NCAA Championship at a club with basically no female members would go over in today's PC world - and they are hosting both at Grayhawk.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

My brother was the super of the lower course there for a decade. Just fantastic
nice - lower is fantastic - really feel like Phil would have a good career as a designer if he wanted to pursue that - but guessing he enjoys it since he has done a half dozen but not yet something he really wants to devote time to yet.

I actually like it better than the Upper - but then the Upper is all Fazio - lots of bend in holes, bigger fairways and green complexes that would take a lifetime to know all the breaks on and around the greens.

Felt like the Lower is harder off the box but rewards good shots with a true chance to score a lot more often.