• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

What Up Toad

Perkins is my favorite player in TX and yes we have a punchers chance. It would definitely be a Zach Evans like shocker but we are in it.

One of the Texas reporters thinks we might be in the driver's seat.

Not holding my breath for any 5 star recruit, but wonder if somebody like Marcel (who supposedly liked TCU the most but initially got swayed by LSU) could convince him to go with his gut.

Froggish

Not HS recruiting related but Chris Thompson Jr of Auburn / Duncanville HS just put his name in the Portal. Would have to believe TCU would have interest. Kid was an incredible HS player and still have 3 years to play

CryptoMiner

Not HS recruiting related but Chris Thompson Jr of Auburn / Duncanville HS just put his name in the Portal. Would have to believe TCU would have interest. Kid was an incredible HS player and still have 3 years to play

Need the depth at S for sure but wouldn't he have 4 years left because of COVID rules?

Wexahu

Need the depth at S for sure but wouldn't he have 4 years left because of COVID rules?

I think the way to look at it as a fan is just assume every really good player is gone after 3 years. If you get 4 that's a bonus. 5 is a pipe dream. If the kid stays around for a 5th year chances are he'll be very replaceable.

So in a case like Thompson, it's almost irrelevant how many years he has left.

Froggish

I think the way to look at it as a fan is just assume every really good player is gone after 3 years. If you get 4 that's a bonus. 5 is a pipe dream. If the kid stays around for a 5th year chances are he'll be very replaceable.

So in a case like Thompson, it's almost irrelevant how many years he has left.

At this point if you are recruiting 4 star + types you should just assume they will leave as quickly as eligible to declare. Cant sit around thinking your going to have a guy for 4-5 years. That’s a recipe for disaster

Palliative Care

It is also the reason you must focus on obtaining 4 star players. Many more freshman must be ready to play a role sooner than before and provide depth. Four stars are more often able to do this than your 3 star ones. It is also the reason we now focus on the swinging gate that is the portal. It is where you hope to find high quality, play now individuals at positions of need. You just do not have the luxury of three years to develop talent like you once had. One reason for our lack of success recently is the idea of "grow them up". This can only be true for a smaller number of athletes. You still take quality HS kids capable of developing someday, but the clock is ticking on your best player.

Eight

this week starting on the 6th is the uil state track meet. there are a few participants who might be of interest to frog fans.

major everhart of amarillo tascosa, a wr/rb recruit for 2022, will be competing in the 5A 100M and 200M. based upon times coming into the event it might be tough for major to win both, but at least one win is very possible as is placing in both

a name to watch is jelani watkins of klein forest. jelani is the younger brother of frog 2021 wr/rb recruit ahmante watkins and i believe jelani is a freshman. he is listed as a 2024 recruit on rivals and jelani will be running in the 6A 200M . winning will be tough, but he could place.

if you are a true t&f nerd there are a few other participants to note. the woodlands has an 800M runner trying to break 1:50 in the 800M (state record is 1:48.21), atm offensive line recruit bryce foster should double in the shot and discus with best of over 71' in the shot and over 210' in the discus.

Eight

few updates from the state track meet

major everhart took 5th in both the 5a 100M and 200M with times of 10.55 and 21.50.

jelani watkins took 6th in the 6a 200m with a time of 21.06

evan stewart won the 6a lj with a best of 24' 6 1/2" and 2nd in the 6a tj with a best of 48' 9 1/2"

Froggish

few updates from the state track meet

major everhart took 5th in both the 5a 100M and 200M with times of 10.55 and 21.50.

jelani watkins took 6th in the 6a 200m with a time of 21.06

evan stewart won the 6a lj with a best of 24' 6 1/2" and 2nd in the 6a tj with a best of 48' 9 1/2"

This years meet had some incredibly fast times. Kids seems to be getting faster.

Eight

This years meet had some incredibly fast times. Kids seems to be getting faster.

i haven't seen clips of the race but i suspect the 6A boys 100M was run with a tail wind as the results show the posted speed at 5.7 which is way over the limit for official records

6 runners in that race ran sub 10.3, including two 10 flats, 5 under 10.2 and a sophomore run 10.27.

if you look at the results prior to that race there was a drop of roughly 2-3 tenths for each runner and while the goal is to hit your best team in your last race i think it would be a bit of an anomaly for every runner in the race to peak in that race.

there were some really strong times as well as jumps. winner of the 6A boys tj broke 50' with a legal wind

kid from harlingen looks like the athlete of the meet winning the 100M, taking second in the 200M at 20.5, and taking second in the lj at 24' 1". he also ran the 3rd leg of harlingen's 4x100 which took 7th which is a wierd leg to have him run.

the sophomore who ran 10.27 is out of austin westlake and he won the lj by a 1/4" over garcia from harlingen

kid from the wooldands won the 6A 800 by running 55.5 on the first lap and 55.45 on the second which is freaking insane as no one else in the field came close to running two sub 56 laps. the only ones who did go sub 56 on their first dropped over by over 2 seconds on the second lap

need to go watch the boys 6A 4x100 as cedar hill won with a time of 40.49, second was katy tompkins at 40.49, and alief taylor was third at 40.50

finally, bryce foster went over 71' to win the shot and over 207' to win the discuss. that is the best throwing combo i can think of in awhile, but he is headed to play football at atm