• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Jets release Josh Doctson

Planks

When was the last time a TCU first rounder was not a bust? Maybe Verrett?

Honestly it’s LT.

Verrett is doing really well with the 49ers, but injuries did sort of make him a bust for the Chargers. Really good player when he was on the field, but always injured. So while he is a good player, he was a bad draft pick by the Chargers

Similar story with Jerry Hughes, he’s carved out an excellent NFL career with the Bills, but he was a bust of a draft pick by the Colts.

LJ Collier has been a bust through two seasons.
Jeff Gladney might be a bust depending upon his legal issues. Jury is still out on Jalen Reagor but he was disappointing his rookie year.

Limp Lizard

When was the last time a TCU first rounder was not a bust? Maybe Verrett?
Ladanian Tomlinson, Bob Lilly, Jerry Hughes, Sammy Baugh, Davey O'Brien, Ki Aldritch, Jim Shofner. Then still with the team with one or two seasons basically too early L. J. Collier, Jeff Gladney, Jalen Reagor. 16 total; 3 in NFL Hall of Fame. The first group were/are stars. So, no, only about 4 out of 16 (I don't think Hale even tried pro ball, just went straight to FBI but I called him a bust.) were busts so far. Look at the last bunch in a couple more years.

This century 5 picks. One is a bust. Plus a hall-of-famer. Pretty good for a program that went to only 3 bowl games in 30years....and lost all 3!

A really awful post.

But it is true we were batting 100% busts for gust who left early until Reagor came along.

FrogAbroad

In an average year there are 80,000 college football players in the US of A, dispersed among some 850 programs. In the NFL there are 1,856 players (including practice squads) distributed among 32 teams. While any given player may not remain under contract for more than a season or two, just offhand I'd say that anyone making an NFL team roster isn't a bust. Obviously some players are stars, some are journeymen, and most are sort of in the middle for 4, 5 years But to be paid for playing a sport one loves is a pretty good achievement in my book.

Limp Lizard

Ladanian Tomlinson, Bob Lilly, Jerry Hughes, Sammy Baugh, Davey O'Brien, Ki Aldritch, Jim Shofner. Then still with the team with one or two seasons basically too early L. J. Collier, Jeff Gladney, Jalen Reagor. 16 total; 3 in NFL Hall of Fame. The first group were/are stars. So, no, only about 4 out of 16 (I don't think Hale even tried pro ball, just went straight to FBI but I called him a bust.) were busts so far. Look at the last bunch in a couple more years.

This century 5 picks. One is a bust. Plus a hall-of-famer. Pretty good for a program that went to only 3 bowl games in 30years....and lost all 3!

A really awful post.

But it is true we were batting 100% busts for gust who left early until Reagor came along.
Apparently you are a bust if you were not All-Pro from the beginning and had several all=pro seasons. Calling Hughes a bust because he was bad his rookie year is ludicrous. By those criteria probably over 90% of the players in 86 first rounds so far. If you make even one Pro Bowl or All-Pro team you are not a bust, IMO.

Zubaz

Apparently you are a bust if you were not All-Pro from the beginning and had several all=pro seasons.
1) With some rare exceptions, if you are a first round pick, you are pretty much expected to contribute at a high level from the start, and be an all-pro within a fairly short order. That's the reality of the NFL right now.

2) Outside of LT, all of the people you were from DECADES ago. Having to hold up Sammy Baugh (1937) and Ki Aldrich (1939) as proof that not all TCU first rounders are busts kinda proved the point you were objecting to.

Calling Hughes a bust because he was bad his rookie year is ludicrous. By those criteria probably over 90% of the players in 86 first rounds so far. If you make even one Pro Bowl or All-Pro team you are not a bust, IMO.
Hughes didn't have a bad rookie year, he was basically a non-entity for the first 3 seasons of his career and ended up traded for a third rounder. For a guy drafted where he was, he was headed for the bust label. Fortunately ended up in a better place in Buffalo and has lived up to his draft position.

So basically, of the 1st round picks over the last 20 years, have 1 all-time great in LT, 1 guy that's lived up to expectations in Hughes, 2 busts (Doctson and Verrett), Collier who is trending towards bust but still has some time, Gladney who has off-field issues that might derail his career, and Reagor who it's way too early to tell.

Wexahu

Hughes has proved to be a very solid player, his issues early probably had more to do with team fit than anything else. Verrett was simply an injury thing, he would've been great had he stayed healthy. As for Collier and Reagor, I'm not surprised they've been underwhelming so far, I thought both were probably taken too high.

jake102

I don't think calling Verrett a bust is correct. I mean he made a Pro Bowl. I wouldn't say he was a raging success, but I wouldn't give him a bust label.

As everyone has noted, and as most people said at the time, the Colts drafting Hughes was idiotic. They ran the wrong system for him and already had two Pro Bowl DEs on the roster. So so dumb.

Doctson is a HUGE bust.

Collier is blazing a trail towards bust (he was taken a round too early) and Reagor is doing the same. I think a lot of people had pretty big reservations on Reagor.

Gladney looked like he had a long NFL career ahead of him, but some guys just can't leave it behind.

Early prediction - QJ will be our best 1st rounder since LT.

Chico Dusty

I don't think calling Verrett a bust is correct. I mean he made a Pro Bowl. I wouldn't say he was a raging success, but I wouldn't give him a bust label.

As everyone has noted, and as most people said at the time, the Colts drafting Hughes was idiotic. They ran the wrong system for him and already had two Pro Bowl DEs on the roster. So so dumb.

Doctson is a HUGE bust.

Collier is blazing a trail towards bust (he was taken a round too early) and Reagor is doing the same. I think a lot of people had pretty big reservations on Reagor.

Gladney looked like he had a long NFL career ahead of him, but some guys just can't leave it behind.

Early prediction - QJ will be our best 1st rounder since LT.

I think this is a very solid summary. However, I think Reagor is going to have a solid career. He had a decent season all things considered and had some amazing plays. Under the right circumstances, I think he’ll ball out.