• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

MadFrog

Are we cancelling these games because of a potential negative RPI impact? I think they need to play and win big to get some confidence back.

CountryFrog

Are we cancelling these games because of a potential negative RPI impact? I think they need to play and win big to get some confidence back.
If lack of confidence is an issue for a top 10 team in May then I don't know how beating UTRGV by any amount fixes that problem.

I think it's more likely that some fans would like to see a 15 run victory so they can get confidence back into themselves.

Pharm Frog

Risk v reward. And I’d cancel ULM in part because of RPI and in part because of injuries. Tech played the RPI game this weekend and it worked fabulously. Moved up four spots and didn’t throw a single pitch. They moved up in eyeball rankings by not playing IIRC. That...plus they have their AD on the selection and seeding committee.

If we take RGV and ULM off the schedule and take 2 of 3 in Manhattan, there’s only a small chance that we get passed in RPI before the end of the regular season. Playing RGV and ULM will also beat down our #7 overall SOS. I may start looking at the impact games later this week in terms of +/-

Punter1

Risk v reward. And I’d cancel ULM in part because of RPI and in part because of injuries. Tech played the RPI game this weekend and it worked fabulously. Moved up four spots and didn’t throw a single pitch. They moved up in eyeball rankings by not playing IIRC. That...plus they have their AD on the selection and seeding committee.

If we take RGV and ULM off the schedule and take 2 of 3 in Manhattan, there’s only a small chance that we get passed in RPI before the end of the regular season. Playing RGV and ULM will also beat down our #7 overall SOS. I may start looking at the impact games later this week in terms of +/-

Well we've already cancelled two midweek games due to RPI implications...pretty much a sure bet we cancel Louisiana Monroe as well.

Maybe we try and pick up a game from who knows between Kstate and the conf tourney but maybe not. KState and the tourney is probably enough time to get Savage a couple starts.

PurpleBlood87

So where are those “however many year’s it’s been seniors”? The Big Game Howie’s and such? I saw a 6th year senior yesterday cut at a 3-1 fastball that was a foot inside and kicking up dirt. Not a breaking pitch...a fastball. You won’t ever convince me that he was sitting on that pitch in that location. Ks on a chin high fastball next pitch.

A freshman came to play yesterday. A kid with 18 ABs on the season came to play. Some freshmen pitchers at least looked like they cared.

I thought Meador and Wright pitched well. Both struckout four and Meador got Melendez looking and had him guessing the whole at bat.

Pharm Frog

I thought Meador and Wright pitched well. Both struckout four and Meador got Melendez looking and had him guessing the whole at bat.

Meador pitched “okay” IMO. He was getting about every other batter. Need to do better than that for me to think you are pitching well. He certainly can run it up there.

PurpleBlood87

Tech also benefits from having series wins over Texas and TCU.

PurpleBlood87

Meador pitched “okay” IMO. He was getting about every other batter. Need to do better than that for me to think you are pitching well. He certainly can run it up there.

I think the thing that makes Meador tough is he has great control of his off speed stuff. He is also working on added a slider.

Dogfrog

The ticket office email said this:

Dear TCU Baseball Fan:

Tuesday’s baseball game between TCU and UTRGV has been canceled for the health and well-being of the UTRGV student-athletes...

Purp

I felt like Meador was better than Wright. I still don't trust Wright to find the strike zone. He got some big outs and looked great at times, but he was also really wild at times too. Meador was much sharper for me. He had a couple whiskey tango foxtrot moments too, but I didn't notice as many from him as I did Wright and I felt like Meador's breaking ball off of his fastball was really tough on hitters. The key for both of them all season is to locate better and I felt Meador did a better job of that yesterday.

Either way, I'd love to get those guys a few more outings to sharpen things up a bit more.

flyfishingfrog

If lack of confidence is an issue for a top 10 team in May then I don't know how beating UTRGV by any amount fixes that problem.

I think it's more likely that some fans would like to see a 15 run victory so they can get confidence back into themselves.
I actually think the mid-week beatings hurt the team and in more than RPI

I think the guys keep their old habits at the plate for these games and just like when we get to bullpen guys late in weekend series games - it falsely reaffirms their approach at the plate or swings are up to snuff when really we struggle against the same type of pitcher every week and never adjust

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The ticket office email said this:

Dear TCU Baseball Fan:

Tuesday’s baseball game between TCU and UTRGV has been canceled for the health and well-being of the UTRGV student-athletes...
Bwahaha!

I know I'm getting older and all, but I can remember a time when spewing rank B.S. was considered rude to all parties...

BrewingFrog

I actually think the mid-week beatings hurt the team and in more than RPI

I think the guys keep their old habits at the plate for these games and just like when we get to bullpen guys late in weekend series games - it falsely reaffirms their approach at the plate or swings are up to snuff when really we struggle against the same type of pitcher every week and never adjust
Getting swings in during actual game time is important. The more of them the better. Practice doesn't make perfect. More experience in game, when it's real and the pressure is on. That way, it isn't such a novel experience, and our kids don't flail away at garbage because they're pressing.

I hate RPI and the things it has driven us to. We are forced to game the system, instead of playing the games. That sucks.

flyfishingfrog

Bwahaha!

I know I'm getting older and all, but I can remember a time when spewing rank B.S. was considered rude to all parties...
Well I don’t think they worded it well - but to be clear RGV has canceled all non-conference games for the rest of the season, not just TCU

seems to be preventive on their part regardless of the reason since they did just play this weekend - so it wasn’t a case of the team having COVID exposure but one to reduce the chance I wound assume

flyfishingfrog

Getting swings in during actual game time is important. The more of them the better. Practice doesn't make perfect. More experience in game, when it's real and the pressure is on. That way, it isn't such a novel experience, and our kids don't flail away at garbage because they're pressing.

I hate RPI and the things it has driven us to. We are forced to game the system, instead of playing the games. That sucks.
Except we shred at the plate in mid week because the pitchers throw meat - 90 mph fastballs with no or little movement and they struggle to throw strikes with off speed pitches

then none of the starters we face in conference do either today those - and thus we gain little from the live swings during mid-week

it’s different when we are playing DBU or even UTA - teams that have some guys that can bring it and sometimes put their weekend guys in to try and steal a W

but Tx Southern, UTRGV, ACU, SFA - these games are a waste

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Perhaps. I still contend that there is no substitute for game experience. And, by shunning mid-week games, however lopsided, we lose that valuable experience. Teeing off on live pitching builds confidence. We need that.

Badly.

BrewingFrog

seems to be preventive on their part regardless of the reason since they did just play this weekend - so it wasn’t a case of the team having COVID exposure but one to reduce the chance I wound assume
Considering the situation on the border, just a few short miles from their campus, they're better off hanging out in North Texas.

Pharm Frog

I hate that anyone gives RPI more than about four seconds of thought. It's a nice simple statistical check to make sure things are directionally correct, but the difference in #4 and #15 is meaningless to me.

You can hate it all you want to and I don’t like it for sure but if that’s the game, you either play it to win or don’t. When you don’t, you can’t expect to benefit when others do.