• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Today was embarrassing.’ TCU baseball falls flat against Texas in series finale

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘Today was embarrassing.’ TCU baseball falls flat against Texas in series finale

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle didn’t sugarcoat his feelings on Sunday.

With a chance to clinch the Big 12 regular-season title in front of its home fans, No. 3 TCU fell flat. No. 6 Texas outplayed it in every phase, rolling to a 9-3 victory to take the regular-season series, 2-1, at Lupton Stadium.

“We’re all embarrassed. Today was embarrassing,” Schlossnagle said. “To have a chance to do something neat on our field and to play like that — they outplayed us in every phase — but for that to be the result is embarrassing. We want that for ourselves. We want that for our fans.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article251231774.html

Pharm Frog

I get that CJS is a pitching guy but not nearly enough emphasis on run scoring from the offense. I suppose there's a nod to it with the part about "every phase" but would have liked to see more from him about the importance of putting offensive pressure on the other team. Would have liked him to at least mention his manufactured lineup card. Fallen flat on Sundays in Lubbock and at home twice in a row. IIRC correctly the Frogs didn't even score until the 7th inning on Sunday against WVU and that started by the Eers walking an ass load of Frogs.

Final thought: If the thinking is that we're not going to use Haylen Green unless we have the lead, I think you better move hell and high water to ensure that you plate runners when you have the chance to even if it means pinch hitting the bullpen catcher if he's a reliable opposite field ground ball or fly out.

Westsider

I get that CJS is a pitching guy but not nearly enough emphasis on run scoring from the offense. I suppose there's a nod to it with the part about "every phase" but would have liked to see more from him about the importance of putting offensive pressure on the other team. Would have liked him to at least mention his manufactured lineup card. Fallen flat on Sundays in Lubbock and at home twice in a row. IIRC correctly the Frogs didn't even score until the 7th inning on Sunday against WVU and that started by the Eers walking an ass load of Frogs.

Final thought: If the thinking is that we're not going to use Haylen Green unless we have the lead, I think you better move hell and high water to ensure that you plate runners when you have the chance to even if it means pinch hitting the bullpen catcher if he's a reliable opposite field ground ball or fly out.

What do you mean by “manufactured lineup card”?

Big Frog II

Well the lineup we had Sunday isn't going to scare many pitchers. Got to get some of the injured healthy. We do need to get rid of the Sunday blahs.

MadFrog

I think our view of our starters has been wishful thinking. They are 4 or 5 inning guys. Texas has 6 or 7 inning guys. Texas has relievers at the end of a game that are shut down pitchers. Other than Green, we do not have any. Given we have 2 automatic outs in our line-up ( Nunez and Boyers), the loss of Wolfe and Wood was devastating. They have got to get well sooner or we are in big time trouble. Sunday was embarrassing for our team. Given the opportunity they had, they did not show up. Why?

flyfishingfrog

I think our view of our starters has been wishful thinking. They are 4 or 5 inning guys. Texas has 6 or 7 inning guys. Texas has relievers at the end of a game that are shut down pitchers. Other than Green, we do not have any. Given we have 2 automatic outs in our line-up ( Nunez and Boyers), the loss of Wolfe and Wood was devastating. They have got to get well sooner or we are in big time trouble. Sunday was embarrassing for our team. Given the opportunity they had, they did not show up. Why?
I don’t see us having an issue with end of game guys - we haven’t been blowing leads because of a failure to shut down teams in the 8th and 9th

we have mostly an offensive problem obviously - we can’t hit a curve ball, swing at a bunch of balls against junk ball pitchers and don’t know how to “just make contact” when we have to do it

but that puts a ton of pressure on our starters to be perfect

Krob got pulled pretty quickly for a guy what only gave up 1

even Russ only gave up 2 before getting pulled

JRay wasn’t going to get his low strike and his outside edge strike called - so he was done before it started and then let it get to his head. Two HRs that are normal long fly balls just put a fork in him

Our middle relievers are a crap shoot every time out it seems so you never know if they are going to stop the bleeding or make it worse

Sunday is a problem for the entire team but when we don’t get the W on Friday - we are extra bad it seems on Sunday

Last edited:

jake102

We've also lost all power at the plate. Until the 9th innning throwaway pinch hit homerun by Goodloe, don't think we hit a homerun against either WVU or UT. Frustrated me that multiple times yesterday the announcers said "UT hits a long, high fly ball... it keeps carrying, it's going to the warning track, it's gone!" and then on the side it's "TCU hits a long high fly ball, looks like it got caught up, UT catches on edge of warning track"

flyfishingfrog

We've also lost all power at the plate. Until the 9th innning throwaway pinch hit homerun by Goodloe, don't think we hit a homerun against either WVU or UT. Frustrated me that multiple times yesterday the announcers said "UT hits a long, high fly ball... it keeps carrying, it's going to the warning track, it's gone!" and then on the side it's "TCU hits a long high fly ball, looks like it got caught up, UT catches on edge of warning track"
We were hitting the end of the bat - you could hear it

they were hitting the barrel - hitting high fly outs most days that got the wind for sure - but they were off the barrel vs our fists or end cap outs

chalk that up to our team not being able to adjust to a breaking ball first pitcher or an 88 mph fastball vs Ray throwing 93 mph fastballs or hanging the breaking ball

CountryFrog

But why does it seem to usually go against us?
We're something like 26-6 in regional and super regional games at home under Schloss. You can assume most of those games are against high quality competition. So while we don't always win these kinds of games we've won a heck of a lot more than we've lost over the years.

How it "seems" to you is probably something you'll have to figure out yourself.

flyfishingfrog

The reality is all we are talking about is if we are a national seed or not

we will most likely host a regional- would probably take losing both series and be swept in at least one for that to not happen

so what we are talking about is if we can find the fire to not only win our regional - but also to beat a national seed in their park

that is really the discussion...it’s not the end of the world just disappointing since a W yesterday and we are probably talking about if we the guys should intentionally go 2 &Q in Ok City to get some rest and heal up

Pharm Frog

we will most likely host a regional- would probably take losing both series and be swept in at least one for that to not happen

so what we are talking about is if we can find the fire to not only win our regional - but also to beat a national seed in their park

that is really the discussion...it’s not the end of the world just disappointing since a W yesterday and we are probably talking about if we the guys should intentionally go 2 &Q in Ok City to get some rest and heal up

Correct. I think we also could be talking about the extent to which we would be favored to beat a high quality team two of three in our own park.

Moose Stuff

In what universe would intentionally losing 2 games in the conference tournament be an actual discussion?