• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Soccer's Historic Season Ends in Elite Eight

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2021/5/9/womens-soccer-historic-season-ends-in-elite-eight.aspx

GoFrogs: Historic Season Ends in Elite Eight

CARY, N.C. – A historic season came to an end for the No. 4-seed TCU soccer team Sunday in a 1-0 loss to Virginia in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament at WakeMed Soccer Park.

A goal by the Cavaliers in the 60th minute of action was the difference in the game. TCU finished the season 13-2-1.

The Rundown
Virginia (14-4-2) controlled the first half, getting some good looks and totaled six shots to TCU's two. The teams played to scoreless first half.

After more scoring chances, the Cavaliers got on the board in the 60th minute with a header by Lizzy Sieracki off a corner kick by Lia Godfrey.

Minutes later, Yazmeen Ryan took a long left-footed shot, which struck the crossbar and came down near the goal line, before it was recovered by the Cavaliers' goalkeeper.

In the final 10 minutes of play, TCU had two shot attempts, one by Maddy Warren, but was kicked right to the UVA goalkeeper and a long attempt from Grace Collins. Virginia outshot TCU, 11-5.

Stat of the Game
240 –
The number of days between TCU's first game of the season on Sept. 11, 2020 at Baylor and its last game.

Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell

On the game and season:
"I thought the wind played a big part in the game. I thought they (Virginia) had the lion's share of the ball in the first half or more ball in the first half. In the second half, we had more of the ball. Congratulations to Virginia for advancing on. It was a very good college soccer game. I'm really proud of our group for the way that we represented our program. That was an awesome, high-level soccer game that you're not going to see on an everyday basis and we were a part of that. I'm really proud of our group and we will build on this historic season and strive to be better."

Notes
• It was TCU's first-ever Elite Eight appearance.
• It was the first meeting between TCU and Virginia.
• TCU moved to 2-5-1 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
• TCU dropped to 2-2-1 this season when tied at the half.
• It was just the third game this season that TCU failed to score a goal.
• TCU trailed 1-0 for the third consecutive game. The Frogs rallied to a win against New Mexico and tied Georgetown.