• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Jets release Josh Doctson

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Jets release Josh Doctson

ByJAYLON THOMPSON

The New York Jets released NFL veteran Josh Doctson on Friday morning. The former first-round pick did not play during the 2020 season after deciding to opt-out amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Doctson has not played a full NFL season since the 2018 season. He appeared in one game with the Minnesota Vikings in 2019. He saw seven snaps with the Vikings as they defeated the Denver Broncos in Week 11 of the 2019 campaign.

Reads more at https://247sports.com/Article/Josh-...receiver-TCU-Horned-Frogs-football-165141101/

CountryFrog

Don’t know exactly how to put it, but I don’t think he likes football enough.
It seems like this is the case. Which has been fairly shocking to me since he always SEEMED like the ultimate example of a guy who just worked his ass off to go from unrecruited afterthought to elite college WR.

Maybe that wasn't actually true or maybe he just lost a little bit of that after getting his big payday. You don't have to lose much of that passion for it to kill your NFL chances. Anyone who isn't working almost 24/7 in that league is likely to get left behind.

East Coast

Tier 1
He didn't even get a chance with the Jets, so its hard to say he couldn't make it there. If you look around the league, a very high percentage of the players who opted out have been "punished" by being cut or traded.

Wexahu

He didn't even get a chance with the Jets, so its hard to say he couldn't make it there. If you look around the league, a very high percentage of the players who opted out have been "punished" by being cut or traded.

Didnt know he opted out, but if he did that’s a pretty good indication IMO that he doesn’t really love the game. At least enough to really want to go through the grind of the NFL.

CountryFrog

I think that's a very kind perspective you're using. Fact is the league has pretty much spoken on Doctson. Whether you want to boil it down to injuries, opting out in 2020, lack of opportunities, all of the above or whatever else.

Wexahu

It's the NFL. If you can't stay healthy then teams are going to move on and eventually will stop even giving you a chance to begin with. So yea that's a factor.

But health is only one of the issues for Josh in his pro career thus far.

And being willing to play through injuries. In his first couple years, JD seemed to always be hurt, and if I remember right it was a little mysterious at times in that the injuries he had didn't quite translate to all the games he was missing. Might not be fair but a guy who can't get out there on Sunday, regardless of the circumstances, has zero value to a team.

After 5+ years, he has lost all benefit of the doubt with teams.

CountryFrog

True. I think his focus has changed and that is alright too. He deserves to be happy and find his passion in life.
Absolutely. I've got nothing but love for the guy and everything he did as a Frog. The fact that he even made it to the NFL is an enormous accomplishment. It's always a bit of a mystery how guys who seem so talented don't have more success at that level and we're all speculating to varying degrees on that. But regardless, there's a hell of a lot more to life than football and I wish him nothing but the best in whatever he wants to do next.

HG73

His career may not be over yet. He's had some injuries. Maybe he can get healthy and help some team. If he made it 5 years he's got his NFL pension. Not bad for a local kid.

TRF51

He was my favorite Frog. When he opted out in a crucial year for his football career told me he does not love football. He might get another camp invite but I don't think he ever plays again. Most clubs probably think he is a head case. The skins fans hated him and I don't blame them. I wish him the best.