• The KillerFrogs

Five losses that hurt the most

GoFrog Yourself

mackbrown1.png
Wasn't the NEB - ut the one the Refs put time back on the clock so Fexus could win?
Yep...

Planks

I’ll add two games that haven’t been mentioned yet:

2016 Arkansas: One of the most frustrating losses, I can’t remember all of them now but there were about five or six easy missed opportunities to seal the game. The refs missing the face mask that caused Deante Gray to fumble and not score a TD on our opening drive. The TD pass at the end that barely was ruled out of bounds. The missed FG at the end. The throat slash penalty that was possibly a religious gesture. And most importantly, not telling Kenny Hill go down after he got the first down. I am still not over that play. What a terrible play.

2013 Texas Tech: Another frustrating game (a turnover being negated when the refs called punt catch interference even though our player never actually touched them). But what made this game so terrible was what it signaled for the rest of the season. At the time we weren’t yet sure if our poor offensive performance in 2012 was due to the loss of Pachall, or just that our offensive coaches were incompetent. The Texas Tech game was only the third game of the season but it decisively answered that question. Three games in and it was clear that the entire 2013 season was basically over already. We all now knew we were going to suck that year, despite pre-season optimism.

Last edited:

Spike

I’ll add two games that haven’t been mentioned yet:

2016 Arkansas: One of the most frustrating losses, I can’t remember all of them now but there were about five or six easy missed opportunities to seal the game. The refs missing the face mask that caused Deante Gray to fumble and not score a TD on our opening drive. The TD pass at the end that barely was ruled out of bounds. The missed FG at the end. The throat slash penalty that was possibly a religious gesture. And most importantly, not telling Kenny Hill go down after he got the first down. I am still not over that play. What a terrible play.

2013 Texas Tech: Another frustrating game (a turnover being negated when the refs called punt catch interference even though our player never actually touched them). But what made this game so terrible was what it signaled for the rest of the season. At the time we weren’t yet sure if our poor offensive performance in 2012 was due to the loss of Pachall, or just that our offensive coaches were incompetent. The Texas Tech game was only the third game of the season but it decisively answered that question. Three games in and it was clear that the entire 2013 season was basically over already. We all now knew we were going to suck that year, despite pre-season optimism.

Agreed on both. Still wondering when GP will take the Offensive side of the ball seriously.

Rabidfrog

I'm the only one who ever mentions 1981 Rice. Maybe just gets thrown into the see of FA Dry forgetfullness. Has just played SMU tough the beat Arkansas for first time in forverver. Had a big lead at 21-6 then we roughed the kicker. They took the points off the board, got a TD and a 2t conversion. They went on a tear and beat us like 41 28. For a minute I thought Frogs had the corner turned. It did not take Dry long to get the Frogs into games, but never could seem to actually get the W.
was that in Ft.Worth? I think I recall the disaster. Went home early. Almost comical if it wasn't so outrageous.

Rabidfrog

Wasn't the NEB - ut the one the Refs put time back on the clock so Fexus could win?
yep, gave 'em one second, just enough for the center to get the ball to the tee.
Was in Houston. We beat them in FW the next year when we switched to more of a running offense.
But rice beat us in FW another time (1980 I think) when our come back barely failed late in the fourth. That is the one I quit early, thought, as Froglaw knows, I have that habit.

Last edited:

Spike

yep, gave 'em one second, just enough for the center to get the ball to the tee.

But rice beat us in FW another time (1980 I think) when our come back barely failed late in the fourth. That is the one I quit early, thought, as Froglaw knows, I have that habit.

1980 had a big lead at half and seemed to go to sleep. Rice took the lead late and Steve Stamp brought us down the field. We were sitting in the corner of the end zone so the last play of the game was right in front of us. Stamp threw an interception in the end zone. according to the coaches news letter the WR (Epps) went out when he should have gone in (or vice versa). I was in 6th grade and was so disappointed. I can remember that but not what I had for lunch yesterday.

Rabidfrog

1980 had a big lead at half and seemed to go to sleep. Rice took the lead late and Steve Stamp brought us down the field. We were sitting in the corner of the end zone so the last play of the game was right in front of us. Stamp threw an interception in the end zone. according to the coaches news letter the WR (Epps) went out when he should have gone in (or vice versa). I was in 6th grade and was so disappointed. I can remember that but not what I had for lunch yesterday.
That's the game. I had left early, which, in this case, glad I did. Rice had a little running qb who we could not contain, like Ark. for 22 or so years. I remember there was a Frog fan who started cussing the team in the fourth quarter, vowing he would never again enter ACS. Almost funny.

eh0215

Agree with all of above.

would add 2005 smu. We went 11-1 that year, starting with that win in Norman over adrian peterson's sooners. they had just played in the national title game the year before.

We ripped the soul from sooner fans before thier season had even started. 70,000 dejected sooners all around you as you walked back to your car.

Then we went to Dallas and let down hard against the ponies. They started that season 1-4, only winning that game against the frogs.

That was my first Frogs game ever at Ford stadium.

I've never been back.

Froglaw

Agree with all of above.

would add 2005 smu. We went 11-1 that year, starting with that win in Norman over adrian peterson's sooners. they had just played in the national title game the year before.

We ripped the soul from sooner fans before thier season had even started. 70,000 dejected sooners all around you as you walked back to your car.

Then we went to Dallas and let down hard against the ponies. They started that season 1-4, only winning that game against the frogs.

That was my first Frogs game ever at Ford stadium.

I've never been back.

We drove back to Dallas giddy as heck. Listened to all the Sooner call in shows which was really more of a suicide prevention Hotline.

I almost drove off the interstate when one caller could only squeak out the words T C U and then outright growling.

F SMU. Let's beat them by 100 this fall.

BedfordFrog68

We drove back to Dallas giddy as heck. Listened to all the Sooner call in shows which was really more of a suicide prevention Hotline.

I almost drove off the interstate when one caller could only squeak out the words T C U and then outright growling.

F SMU. Let's beat them by 100 this fall.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm afraid the days of 62-7 and 56-0 are past us and we should expect 42-35 most years....