• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hence my 3 observations above.... if JS is motivated by money or coaching in the SEC or if he thinks he's hit a ceiling at TCU due to the cost to attend and scholarship issues that make it real tough for us to compete compared to other private schools like Vandy then the A&M job could be attractive to him.
Well, you have a really, really good point with the scholarship thing. I still submit that he had the best of all worlds with the MSU offer, and he didn't take it. I concede that you know far and away more than I about the state of things, but I am simply puzzled by the idea of him jumping ship now. Doesn't make sense given what he's passed on in the recent past.

Punter1

Hence my 3 observations above.... if JS is motivated by money or coaching in the SEC or if he thinks he's hit a ceiling at TCU due to the cost to attend and scholarship issues that make it real tough for us to compete compared to other private schools like Vandy then the A&M job could be attractive to him.

Such BS that college baseball isn't on an equal playing field scholarship wise.

Give every D1 team 30 scholarships. Would improve the product so much...especially with MLB cutting back on minor league teams...now is the perfect time to increase the scholly limit.

Moose Stuff

Well, you have a really, really good point with the scholarship thing. I still submit that he had the best of all worlds with the MSU offer, and he didn't take it. I concede that you know far and away more than I about the state of things, but I am simply puzzled by the idea of him jumping ship now. Doesn't make sense given what he's passed on in the recent past.

Again, I'm not saying he would have interest (I have no idea). I'm saying I expect A&M to have interest if they fire Childress.

GoFrog Yourself

LSU may open up as well.....

and Mosiello is the Associate Head Coach....talk to any player, he’s the most qualified and experienced assistant coach on the staff by far
If I’m LSU I don’t fire manieri after this year. But if they’re looking for a coach I call Mike Bianco first and make him say “hell no” before moving on. Imagine that’s the only job he’d consider outside of Oxford.

Aggie will bid on Tadlock and Schloss. Might consider Steve Rodriguez in Waco too

PO Frog

Such BS that college baseball isn't on an equal playing field scholarship wise.

Give every D1 team 30 scholarships. Would improve the product so much...especially with MLB cutting back on minor league teams...now is the perfect time to increase the scholly limit.
I think a lot of schools couldn’t “afford” it (their claim, not mine), so the unlevel playing field would only get exaggerated even more. I don’t believe any of the fantasy numbers schools throw around these days but that’s the counter argument.

Purp

I think a lot of schools couldn’t “afford” it (their claim, not mine), so the unlevel playing field would only get exaggerated even more. I don’t believe any of the fantasy numbers schools throw around these days but that’s the counter argument.
I've never understood the "we can't afford more baseball schollies" argument. I'm not expert at academic institution accounting, but it seems like a simple enough cost to offset in a host of ways. If you add 18 schollies to a baseball team why not add 18 slots to the freshman classes you bring in every year. Then you still get the same amount of revenue as you budgeted for and the only additional cost burden is meals and lodging, which could be further offset by adding another handful or two to the freshman classes. It's hard for me to believe that almost every school that plays baseball couldn't find a way to add 25 - 30 more students to offset this cost. It's not like the university loses money by adding additional kids to class who get to go for free. They just lose the opportunity at revenue when kids going for free take spots from kids who will pay.

Ultimately, I think Punter is right that the product on the field would improve dramatically and baseball would become a revenue sport for a lot more schools. College baseball is terrific. You bring a lot more talent into it due to the major shift happening in minor league baseball and it gets way better. The fact that college baseball starts right after football ends feels like a natural TV interest. NCAA needs to get busy.

PO Frog

I've never understood the "we can't afford more baseball schollies" argument. I'm not expert at academic institution accounting, but it seems like a simple enough cost to offset in a host of ways. If you add 18 schollies to a baseball team why not add 18 slots to the freshman classes you bring in every year. Then you still get the same amount of revenue as you budgeted for and the only additional cost burden is meals and lodging, which could be further offset by adding another handful or two to the freshman classes. It's hard for me to believe that almost every school that plays baseball couldn't find a way to add 25 - 30 more students to offset this cost. It's not like the university loses money by adding additional kids to class who get to go for free. They just lose the opportunity at revenue when kids going for free take spots from kids who will pay.

Ultimately, I think Punter is right that the product on the field would improve dramatically and baseball would become a revenue sport for a lot more schools. College baseball is terrific. You bring a lot more talent into it due to the major shift happening in minor league baseball and it gets way better. The fact that college baseball starts right after football ends feels like a natural TV interest. NCAA needs to get busy.
Apparently the majority of scholarships for baseball aren’t currently fully funded as things stand now. Triple the number of slots and that problem gets worse. Or so I have been told.

froginaustin

Title 9?

Wouldn't cranking up the number of baseball scholarships mean TCU would have to fund more scholarship sports for women? Honest question. No idea about the answer, but it could blow the cost of more athletic grants for men for baseball through the roof.

Softball would be a logical answer. But it has never been popular with the financial peeps at TCU. Facilities (and the land to put them on) would be way expensive, and with all the squawking about unequal treatment of womens' teams by the NCAA I doubt the school would be willing to go Plain Jane.

And IRRC the school polled female students a few years back (maybe quite a few; when TCU brought in the horsey sport). Softball was NOT popular with the ladies. If they aren't interested, who would be?

Paradoxotaur

Title 9?

Wouldn't cranking up the number of baseball scholarships mean TCU would have to fund more scholarship sports for women? Honest question. No idea about the answer, but it could blow the cost of more athletic grants for men for baseball through the roof.

Softball would be a logical answer. But it has never been popular with the financial peeps at TCU. Facilities (and the land to put them on) would be way expensive, and with all the squawking about unequal treatment of womens' teams by the NCAA I doubt the school would be willing to go Plain Jane.

And IRRC the school polled female students a few years back (maybe quite a few; when TCU brought in the horsey sport). Softball was NOT popular with the ladies. If they aren't interested, who would be?

Old men?

FWTFrog

Title 9?

Title 9 is the correct answer even though ADJD won't say it publically. But you have to build a comparable stadium as Lupton for a softball stadium and provide similar resources. Too costly when trying to create a competitive program from scratch. This is why we have opted to start beach volleyball and triathlon teams over recent years.

Purp

Apparently the majority of scholarships for baseball aren’t currently fully funded as things stand now. Triple the number of slots and that problem gets worse. Or so I have been told.
I fully understand that. Only 11.7 scholarships per NCAA baseball team. It's always been a ridiculous joke. But what does it really cost the university to fully fund those 18+ schollies? Free tuition isn't really an expense. If you add 18 students to the freshman class you aren't going to be forced to hire more faculty and offer more courses. So if the cost of more faculty/courses doesn't go up by adding 18 students to each freshman class then the cost to the university from a tuition standpoint is $0. The only other costs at that point are books (which I'm sure is a lot different in the digital age than even 15 years ago), meals, and lodging (you aren't building more dorms for 18 students so this is essentially a negligible increase for electricity and water). So if you can add 18 students to each freshman class to ensure the same amount of revenue originally budgeted and you can essentially do it without increasing any costs to the university, why can athletics programs not afford to fully fund baseball programs with a scholly for each player on the roster?

Maybe the Title IX consideration is the issue. If you add 18 schollies for baseball you have to add 19 schollies to women's sports. Adding sports can certainly be an expensive undertaking. Perhaps other men's sports would get the axe. Who knows. I just don't understand why it would cost a university a prohibitive amount of money to add 18 scholarships to an athletics budget if those additional 18 students hardly add any costs to the university.

Eight

the answer is add women's lacrosse which is a 12 scholarship limit sport.

now just need to get the ncaa to pull their heads out of their collective arses