• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

You never knew the Wal-Mart thing @dawg? Per my understanding, he chafes at the mentions and thoughts that he only got his money because of that marriage. I mean it’s not true but at the same time, it is the Waltons sooooo.....I’d love it if someone erected a build board outside all his sport stadiums asking if this was built or bought with Wal-Mart money haha.

Agree with everything you said. The only slivers of hope I continue to lie feed myself is that Eck has said he is prepared for a long protracted battle and this is just the opening move, AND that if we fail to qualify for Europe, that will put even more financial pressure on the club and as an investment asset, it has seen a poor return thus far, so Kroenke might see the getting as getting good at this point.

I mean the clubs value has gone up since he bought it but that was mainly after the initial purchase in 2011. I’d find it hard to believe it has actually increased since 2018 and by not finishing in the top 4 the last what, 4 years or so, and now maybe not even qualifying for any Europe competition....how would that possibly increase the club’s worth? But we know nothing of the inner finances I guess.

No, I had no clue he married into the WalMart fortune. You're right about the Europe situation. No doubt the club's finances have taken a hit being out of the CL. The longer you are out, the longer and more investment it takes to return. We realistically need two CBs, an elite CAM/playmaker, and a forward to return to top four contention. So, only like $200m. Does he want to spend that, or will he cash out now?

Yeah, I’m thinking the $3 billion pound number you mention is the tipping point maybe.

In my dreams and if I had Bezos type money, I’d just big.... energy it and walk into Kroenke’s office and say, “Here’s $10 billion pounds in cash, take it or leave it.”

Haha. If I had Bezos money, we'd have made City's spending look like pennies.

I think another element of this is pride. Guys with this kind of F you money won't capitulate if they're perceived as being weakened or taken advantage of. If Ek is serious, and I believe that he is, he's going to have to make this a political game where he ends up looking like the loser in the deal even though he's getting exactly what he wants.

To your points, that's going to be a very difficult, if not impossible, task.

That's a good point. Billionaires don't get to be billionaires without an extreme "scheiss you" streak in their personality. It's also clear that lump isn't in it to win. He's in it as an investment, bottom line. With the SL going kaput and as mentioned above the club sliding out of regular CL participation (due to his lack of investment and poor front office choices), the bottom line is hurting. He's going to have to pump in quite a bit of cash or risk the club's valuation declining.

Could you imagine if Bayern featured a starting 11 with 2 American center backs in the near future? Looks like Che's loan from the FCD academy has born a lot of fruit.

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/04/justin-che-eager-to-continue-learning-at-bayern-munich

If only. Imagine if the 2026 MNT, as hosts of the World Cup, rolled out Bayern's two starting center halves, in addition to the river of talent coming into the national setup ... Yeah... Wow. I need a minute.

Purp

If only. Imagine if the 2026 MNT, as hosts of the World Cup, rolled out Bayern's two starting center halves, in addition to the river of talent coming into the national setup ... Yeah... Wow. I need a minute.
Assuming this plays out (may still be unlikely, but we're fantasizing here) we could potentially host the WC with Man City's starting GK, Bayern's starting center back pair, Barca's starting right back (playing on the left) and #9 (Konrad), Roma's starting right back, Juve's #8, Chelsea's #10, Dortmund's starting winger, Leipzig's #6, and Valencia's (gotta think he'll be somewhere else by then) jack of all trades midfielder. That would leave out a John Brooks on the back half of his prime and a Reggie Cannon well within his prime. If you'd have told me after T&T 4 years ago that we'd be having this conversation about 2026 and being perfectly reasonable the whole time I'd have told you we were on acid.

Chongo94

Yeah, I think @Purp is correct in the scheiss you perceived weakness issue. Kroenke is all of that.

Hopefully the lack of Europe and not as much money and a long entrenched in the public eye fight over ownership eventually convinces him to pull up stakes.

Last edited:

dawg

Ha, Arsenal and the Kroenkes are just a clown show.
Best tweet I’ve seen regarding Arsenal cause it’s so on point.

doctor-who-rain-sad.gif

TF was Arteta thinking sending Ceballos out or the 2nd half, let alone starting him. Got his setup wrong and then got lucky Pepe won a very dubious penalty.

Purp

Sargent has looked excellent against Leipzig so far in the league cup semifinal. He's had a couple of chances and missed frame, but he's given the Leipzig back line fits. He's making great runs behind the defense and getting into dangerous areas. A little better balance on the last chance and he'd have a goal, but demonstrated excellent strength and body positioning to even get the chance.

I don't think he's an international striker, but he's really looking to me like a world class target forward. I think he's a Brian McBride type player, but better in almost every area. He's got something the USMNT needs; it's just not the talisman we need.

Moose Stuff

Sargent has looked excellent against Leipzig so far in the league cup semifinal. He's had a couple of chances and missed frame, but he's given the Leipzig back line fits. He's making great runs behind the defense and getting into dangerous areas. A little better balance on the last chance and he'd have a goal, but demonstrated excellent strength and body positioning to even get the chance.

I don't think he's an international striker, but he's really looking to me like a world class target forward. I think he's a Brian McBride type player, but better in almost every area. He's got something the USMNT needs; it's just not the talisman we need.

I'm hoping Dike proves to be legit.

Purp

I'm hoping Dike proves to be legit.
Dike is putting balls away like a true striker. He gets a small window and finishes at a high rate.

Gio's first goal was nice. I'm not sure how much stock to put into it given the opponent. They're in the semi, but they're getting worked like they don't belong.