• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU confronts its history with the Confederacy, racism on campus

Bob Sugar

tenor.gif

HToady

Racism is firmly entrenched in our history from slavery to the treatment of blacks over the last 150 years, in the way we established our laws as a constant reminder that they were once, only property, including our Constitution. Prior to his untimely death, Lincoln was seriously considering returning slaves to Africa. Perhaps this would have been the best way. That way they could have entered this country later and only be treated poorly as an immigrant, like the Italians, Irish, Asians, Mexicans. and Jews..

Moose Stuff

Racism is firmly entrenched in our history from slavery to the treatment of blacks over the last 150 years, in the way we established our laws as a constant reminder that they were once, only property, including our Constitution. Prior to his untimely death, Lincoln was seriously considering returning slaves to Africa. Perhaps this would have been the best way. That way they could have entered this country later and only be treated poorly as an immigrant, like the Italians, Irish, Asians, Mexicans. and Jews..

Please list for me all races/ethnicities/genders that are immune from being treated poorly. I'm a straight white Republican man.... pretty much the least popular class of human on earth right now. When should I start demanding the education and enlightenment of those who disapprove of me in order to enact real change?

Pharm Frog

Yep. It's really a pity so few people have wanted to immigrate to this terrible, fallaciously-founded, hate-riddled country over the centuries. Have you considered heading down to the southern border and warning people to go back home where they can avoid racism and ill-treatment?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
There are plenty of people who support policing reform who will engage with you in an academic discussion if you're willing to be open to changing your views.

1. Does the math really show endemic racism in police or is it just a few bad apples?

Here's an article from John McWhorter, a black professor who tends to lean libertarian, where he purports that policing needs to be reformed, but that black people are not killed at a disproportionate rate compared to white people. He gives a number of reasons why black people are more likely to encounter police and why the narrative has continued, but he doesn't believe that police kill because of bigotry. He believes many of the issues come about because of poverty, and more black people are poor, proportionately.

https://quillette.com/2020/06/11/racist-police-violence-reconsidered/

2. The fast majority of these people wouldn't have encountered the police if they weren't doing something illegal.

Tim Scott, a black Republican senator, gave a speech a few years ago about the number of times he's been pulled over for driving too nice of a car. There are plenty of stories from black millionaires who said they were pulled over for "not looking like they belong there." There was a Louis Vuitton designer who was stopped and frisked because they didn't think he looked like the kind of person who should be carrying a LV shopping bag. Obviously these are all anecdotal examples, but the statistics also show that black people are profiled at a much higher rate.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/politics/tim-scott-police-racial-profiling/index.html

https://www.nber.org/papers/w26774

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-0858-1

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...fornia-cops-more-likely-to-stop-black-drivers

And most black people will gladly say that things are better than before, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't continue to improve.

And all the people you mentioned are alive today because they likely complied, didn’t resist or run and didn’t fight. Is it right that it is more likely blacks pulled over? Probably not. But you might want to spend a month riding with a cop and see where most of their violent interaction comes from.

I’m not sure what views you think I have that you want to change.

There in lies the problem, that there is only one right opinion and one has to agree they are wrong before there can be civil discussion.

Several years ago a radical black Muslim in Houston named Quannel X was very critical of HPD. He was invited to ride along several nights and to go through the HPD training center. He failed miserably in mock scenario shooting scenarios. He fired at criminals and civilians alike in the very realistic settings.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

This is not an American problem. Although Europe likes to take the high road, I have seen some of the most racist things being sold in stores there. In Marseille they were selling post cards that looked like 1930s cartoons with huge red lipped bald blacks in a not so very flattering image.

WIN

Please list for me all races/ethnicities/genders that are immune from being treated poorly. I'm a straight white Republican man.... pretty much the least popular class of human on earth right now. When should I start demanding the education and enlightenment of those who disapprove of me in order to enact real change?

White, republican, male, TCU degree, concealed carry license here, don't hate me.

Horny4TCU

Never ever travel to Berkeley, Portland or Seattle!
Well, that conceal and carry should solve any problem he has with those nature muffins. Granted those states may not honor his second amendment rights there, but in immediate danger he can solve his own problems.

CryptoMiner

One microagression noted is “they always ask if I am an athlete.” I always wear TCU stuff and I am old and out of shape. I also get asked if I played on a sports team at TCU. I was not aware that I should be offended by that. I thought it was just a thing that people ask sometimes.

Nobody asks you if you played sports.

hiphopfroggy

Wow.

What hardships have you faced in your life because you are a straight white man?