• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU confronts its history with the Confederacy, racism on campus

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By Valeria Olivares

Freshman Brad Flick often sees Confederate flags hanging in the background of classmates’ rooms during his online classes at Texas Christian University.

Microaggressions — like phrases that include subtle discrimination or racial stereotypes — are a common occurrence for Black students like him, he said. Another Black student he knows was once told, “You talk really good for who you are,” he said.

“We don’t really talk about diversity as much as I think we should,” Flick, 19, said. “Without someone stepping in and educating and enlightening … TCU won’t change at all.”

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/news/edu...istory-with-the-confederacy-racism-on-campus/

By Valeria Olivares

Freshman Brad Flick often sees Confederate flags hanging in the background of classmates’ rooms during his online classes at Texas Christian University.

Microaggressions — like phrases that include subtle discrimination or racial stereotypes — are a common occurrence for Black students like him, he said. Another Black student he knows was once told, “You talk really good for who you are,” he said.

“We don’t really talk about diversity as much as I think we should,” Flick, 19, said. “Without someone stepping in and educating and enlightening … TCU won’t change at all.”

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/news/edu...istory-with-the-confederacy-racism-on-campus/
In before the fireworks

tcudoc

One microagression noted is “they always ask if I am an athlete.” I always wear TCU stuff and I am old and out of shape. I also get asked if I played on a sports team at TCU. I was not aware that I should be offended by that. I thought it was just a thing that people ask sometimes.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

One microagression noted is they always ask if I am an athlete. I always wear TCU stuff and I am old and out of shape. I also get asked if I played in a sports team at TCU. I was not aware that I should be offended by that. I thought it was just a thing that people ask sometimes.

When you've reached the point in your life that being asked if you're an athlete is a "micro aggression" that you find offensive it's probably time to just pull a tyler durden and just never leave the house again.

tcumaniac

Frederick Gooding, an associate professor of African American Studies at TCU, chaired the initiative to which other students, alumni, faculty and staff contributed.

“Race is no longer a four letter word...” Gooding said.

Lmao.

Race is no longer a 4 letter word.

2 + 2 = 5

And TCU is full of micro aggressive racists.

Putt4Purple

I have a bronze statue of Addison and Randolph acquired from the "Addison and Randolph Clark Founder Society"
My mother was working for the Fort Worth ISD and she acquired it somehow. My point being is if someone or and an organization is so disgusted and wants to erase TCU history then they can take this bit of racist history off my hands. Highest bidder!!
(Sarcasm).
Truthfully. I look at the bronze statue everyday as a nice memento from TCU to my mother. I am aware of Addison and Randolph Clark as the Co-Founders of TCU. If you want to find fault in the lives of people who lived in the past then get ready to be scrutinized by most anyone and everyone a hundred years after you have passed on for even being affiliated with TCU. Woke culture is wrong in many ways trying to erase history. I have mine and will not give it up!! Go Frogs!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
One of the problems is you can’t just have an academic discussion without racism being injected. If you ask a BLM backer if the math really shows endemic racism in police or just as in society there will always be idiots-you’re racist. If you agree that no one deserves to die over a traffic stop or warrant service, but point out if the vast majority of these people would be alive with a little polite compliance, not doing something illegal or otherwise causes them to intersect with police, not fighting, not trying to flee, et al, you are a racist. Pointing out that judging the actions of people in the past usually has no relation to the present, you’re a racist.

To say nothing has changed is just wrong. I can remember the days Frank’s Restaurant in Schulenburg, Tx having white and colored water fountains and restrooms, all white SWC, segregated high schools and state championships. It wasn’t that long ago (for me).

Until there is a little room for polite discussion from all sides, change will continue to move slowly.

Last edited:

Froglaw

I have a bronze statue of Addison and Randolph acquired from the "Addison and Randolph Clark Founder Society"
My mother was working for the Fort Worth ISD and she acquired it somehow. My point being is if someone or and an organization is so disgusted and wants to erase TCU history then they can take this bit of racist history off my hands. Highest bidder!!
(Sarcasm).
Truthfully. I look at the bronze statue everyday as a nice memento from TCU to my mother. I am aware of Addison and Randolph Clark as the Co-Founders of TCU. If you want to find fault in the lives of people who lived in the past then get ready to be scrutinized by most anyone and everyone a hundred years after you have passed on for even being affiliated with TCU. Woke culture is wrong in many ways trying to erase history. I have mine and will not give it up!! Go Frogs!

What's the end game with historic figures like the Clark Brothers?

At some point we have to move forward as one.

There will always be jerks that judge others for idiotic reasons.

Brog

Miss Olivares, who wrote this column for the DMN, apparently doesn't know that James Cash was the first black basketball player in the Southwest conference. She describes him as the first black athlete on the TCU campus.

East Coast

Tier 1
I thought that overall this article was pretty positive toward TCU and the actions it is currently taking. I admit the "micro aggression" thing drives me crazy. But jeez, since I was around 16 (a long long time ago), I've thought the whole waving the Confederate Flag thing was just something stupid that dumbasses did; and have moved from that to believe it is overtly racist.

Eight

I was an athlete at TCU and someone once told me I look just like Ron Howard who is not an athlete. Should I be offended? Do I need to track this offender down and cancel them?

which version of ron howard?

this one?

images

or this one?

images

or this one?

268447_full.jpg

or finally this one?

Ron-Howard-Net-Worth-793x526.png

first or fourth one i can see being upset, second one would be a compliment, and the third one. don't get seen hanging around playgrounds or elementary schools