• The KillerFrogs

2021 Season Ticket Demand - Decrease?

Virginia Frog

I think attendance is going to be a major problem for years to come.
Covid destroyed any lasting momentum (of general winning expectations) that GP produced during the many successful CUSA, MW and B12 seasons up until 2015 (exception the '17 blip and Stanford Bowl comeback.) it's been mostly mediocracy since.

GP needs some 11plus W seasons to proved he hasn't "lost it." Then the faithful can again make Frog Football their Saturday priority. We'd then be sell-out city.

I for one just am not excited when losses to K-State, WVU and IStU, and TT are commonplace. All SHOULD be W's 3 out of 4 years. IMO

Froglaw

Has anyone actually cancelled their football season tickets? Curious if people are actually shifting away from in-person events due to cost or time commitment

(you can complain about Donati in the other thread)

Given all the complaints and surveys from athletic department concerning:
  1. Athletic event capacity
  2. On the field performance
  3. Ticket pricing

Not to worry, TCUmaniac said he'd buy all the unrenewed season tickets this year.

He wants to assure 100% capacity.

Thanks Maniac!

MAcFroggy

If we’re good, the fans will come back.

However, it’ll hopefully be with our most loyal fans back in our better seats.

We’ll see how upgrades go this year.

agree. I hope this will cause some people to forego the additional tickets they always buy and never use which will in turn allow devoted frogs to get better seats

Palliative Care

I think that Patterson is being positive in his comments about the team this year because he knows that it is much better and that he needs to help encourage ticket sales.

ticketfrog123

I think that Patterson is being positive in his comments about the team this year because he knows that it is much better and that he needs to help encourage ticket sales.

I don’t think the average person would renew or become a first time ticket holder because GP thinks the team is good.

some tin foil hats around here have correlated his positivity with below average results for W-L

cheese83

If we’re good, the fans will come back.

However, it’ll hopefully be with our most loyal fans back in our better seats.

We’ll see how upgrades go this year.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment, the lower Westside seats in Champs Club will still be empty yet purchased by higher ranked donors. One thing I agree with you on is how awful our stadium experience is. The spaced out seats and sparsely attended lower Westside is an embarrassment and will only get worse as the seat owners age. Plus until we start winning they won’t be sitting in those seats for day games so let’s hope for a strong season and a couple marquee nighttime matchups.

Long term upside is as the old ticket holders age out all the out of state kids will move back home so maybe you’ll get there in 10-15 years. The ultimate twist will be you end up becoming an empty seat by your kids will be in sports and you can’t skip their games. Maniac heel turn like Hogan to nWo.

GenXFrog

I reduced my seats last season. Stayed reduced this season.

My kids have aged out and honestly, its been challenging to get friends to come along for the last few years.

The team and the athletic department have done themselves absolutely no favors at all with their lack of engagement with the larger community and stale game day experiences.

Gotta engage with the general public, not just the donors, to reclaim the t-shirt fan base that came with the Rose win and filled our stadiums.

Palliative Care

Winning cures most of this and a lack of winning caused the problem. The only game experience I care about is a W on the board. Then again I am a long time season ticket holder whose kids and friend came to all the games last year.

There is just too much talent on this team to not see a brighter future. Time will tell.

As for me I am looking for a significant upgrade in my seats. I will be there in what ever seats I have just as I have for the last 36 years. Make fun of my loyalty if you like but I have significant family ties to the school and its football team.

tcumaniac

You are setting yourself up for disappointment, the lower Westside seats in Champs Club will still be empty yet purchased by higher ranked donors. One thing I agree with you on is how awful our stadium experience is. The spaced out seats and sparsely attended lower Westside is an embarrassment and will only get worse as the seat owners age. Plus until we start winning they won’t be sitting in those seats for day games so let’s hope for a strong season and a couple marquee nighttime matchups.

Long term upside is as the old ticket holders age out all the out of state kids will move back home so maybe you’ll get there in 10-15 years. The ultimate twist will be you end up becoming an empty seat by your kids will be in sports and you can’t skip their games. Maniac heel turn like Hogan to nWo.
We'll see.

I've accumulated what I hope to be a pretty healthy amount of priority points over the past few years with some donations.

The short term "ultimate twist" will be if I do get to move to really good seats and they end up being absolutely miserable to sit in because of the people around me.

I've already somewhat experienced that in the past when I've been invited to sit in the club... lots of "what are you doing cheering" looks.

MAcFroggy

Winning cures most of this and a lack of winning caused the problem. The only game experience I care about is a W on the board. Then again I am a long time season ticket holder whose kids and friend came to all the games last year.

There is just too much talent on this team to not see a brighter future. Time will tell.

As for me I am looking for a significant upgrade in my seats. I will be there in what ever seats I have just as I have for the last 36 years. Make fun of my loyalty if you like but I have significant family ties to the school and its football team.

If TMW is drafted in the first round, we will have had 4 first round draft picks in the past 3 years. We have had talent. It just is not translating into success on the field. People have always said "If CGP can just get elite talent, then we can make the BCS/CFP/national championship." He is getting elite talent, and he is having wore results.

Palliative Care

Ok but the talent this year is also in the depth of players and not just in the few quality ones. Yes if Gary doesn't win then he needs to be gone. But go ahead and be negative it is ok you have earned it. I will still go but I will definitely sit in the stands and not the club.

ticketfrog123

I reduced my seats last season. Stayed reduced this season.

My kids have aged out and honestly, its been challenging to get friends to come along for the last few years.

The team and the athletic department have done themselves absolutely no favors at all with their lack of engagement with the larger community and stale game day experiences.

Gotta engage with the general public, not just the donors, to reclaim the t-shirt fan base that came with the Rose win and filled our stadiums.
Tbh the university has certainly started to emit much more “country club” and “exclusive vibes” in recent years (similar to SMU) - which is a contradiction to the diversity and inclusion initiatives they have launched.

I guess the administration gets to pick and choose which parts of the university are inclusive

Eight

Tbh the university has certainly started to emit much more “country club” and “exclusive vibes” in recent years (similar to SMU) - which is a contradiction to the diversity and inclusion initiatives they have launched.

I guess the administration gets to pick and choose which parts of the university are inclusive

started?

GenXFrog

Winning cures most of this and a lack of winning caused the problem. The only game experience I care about is a W on the board. Then again I am a long time season ticket holder whose kids and friend came to all the games last year..

You and I are in the same boat. For the better part of two decades, I'm there no matter what.

Thing is, we're not the challenge. They don't have to market to us. They just have to open the gate and let us in. Unfortunately, there are not enough of us die hard fans in the stands. Not by a long shot.

And you're absolutely right, winning cures a lot of ills. But even when we used to win, we realized that the whole experience was extremely important.

We did do this:

https://www.tcu360.com/story/32509tcu-athletics-pairs-disney-improve-gameday-experience/

"With the 2014-15 football season on the horizon, TCU fans are not sure what to expect on the field. The gameday product, however, seems to be a lock for improvement."

The formative part of that statement has been true most years. I'd like for the later part to be true most every year, too.

The athletic department needs to get back to the entire gameday experience improvement mindset. It is their responsibility to do more than just dump it all on our coach winning or not.

(Yes - I realize they have elected to sell us beer, which has helped lessen some of the annoyance with the rest. ;-)