• The KillerFrogs

Five losses that hurt the most

Rabidfrog

1956: 6-7. A&M at College Station. Still hurts, but not as much. Lost chance for a natty, maybe. Swink scores three times. Only one counted. Hurricane blew in. Refs could or would not see two TD scores.

1976: lost last game of season to Baylor and preacher Teaff. Cold, rainy day. Our cheerleaders cried. 0-ll that year.

2012: famous three pt. loss to Baylor. Either a PI should not have been called against us late, or one should have been called against BU.

2019: possibly robbed again against BU. Duggan might have scored, but replay showed he didn't. perhaps.

I am sure about the above being the worst. Fifth one is hard to pick. Either loss to Texas when we had Wacker, in Ft.,Worth or loss to A&M the next week when we had a chance to win the SWC. Boys were deflated about previous loss to UT.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
1956: 6-7. A&M at College Station. Still hurts, but not as much. Lost chance for a natty, maybe. Swink scores three times. Only one counted. Hurricane blew in. Refs could or would not see two TD scores.

1976: lost last game of season to Baylor and preacher Teaff. Cold, rainy day. Our cheerleaders cried. 0-ll that year.

2012: famous three pt. loss to Baylor. Either a PI should not have been called against us late, or one should have been called against BU.

2019: possibly robbed again against BU. Duggan might have scored, but replay showed he didn't. perhaps.

I am sure about the above being the worst. Fifth one is hard to pick. Either loss to Texas when we had Wacker, in Ft.,Worth or loss to A&M the next week when we had a chance to win the SWC. Boys were deflated about previous loss to UT.
3pt. loss to Baylor was 2014. Kept us out of the CFP.

Tshirt Fan

The 1975 loss against UTA to start the season, the 2010 Fiesta Bowl. Thankful we didn't ever loss to Toby's Business College (1896, 1898). Any loss to Baylor is humiliating. WTG Big 12!

CountryFrog

Loss of freedom in 2020.
Loss of hope in 2021.
Not being able to go out in public.
Loss of human contact.
Wishing America could be great again but realizing it doesn't scheissing matter anyway.

And no this isn't a political or COVID commentary. This is the result of restrictions implemented by my wife. Just because we're married.

froglash88

The Baylor 2014 game will never be topped unless we blow a 4th quarter lead in the national title game some day. Perfect list. The end.
Lost a friend that night. He literally was so upset from that game that he had a heart attack and died. Unfortunately, his wife was out of town and didn’t find him until she returned home the next night. That is definitely our worst loss of all time for multiple reasons.

Froglaw

Those all hurt, but not so tough when you were not there.

With me it was SMU and always will be. I Hate, hate, hate the Mustangs and hope they never ever win anything of significance ever again.

Eric Dickerson and Craig James, along with most of their team, were being paid to play football. I'm convinced between the corruption of the Aggies and SMUs Pro team the SWC died in the late 70's and early 80's.

1978 L 14 - 45 at SMU - Cotton Bowl - good lord
1979 L 7 - 27 FW - I moped to class for days.
1980 L 14 - 17 - Texas Stadium; we had that game won 14 - 10. SMU scored on a fourth down pass play. Frogs lost to Auburn the week before 7 - 10 in a gut wrenching game in FW. Frogs play SMU in Dallas and then (scheduling genius raise your hand) go to Georgia to play Bo Jackson ( Edit Herchell Walker). Lose 3- 34. Lost to Rice 24 - 28 the next week.
1981 L 9 - 20 at home. My first year as an Alumni. Only beat UTA and Arkansas (Huge win to break a long losing streak to the Hogs 28 - 24). Tied Utah State and Texas Tech (39 - 39 in an another weird game on that haunted Comanche burial ground in Lubbock).

But SMU always set the tone for the year early.

Football held very little joy on campus then.

Having friends on the team did not help because I lived in Milton Daniel and we knew how hard those guys worked to beat that other Pro team in Dallas.
Every year I want to hang 80 points or more on those b@$7)&.

So Purple Preacher, forgive me if I don't feel the pain of the 1956 loss to the Aggies, I was not born until two years later.

But SMU is real to me and personal.

That is why I want to continue the series and wish to choke those cheaters with so many loses they start paying players again, get caught, and their football program gets the permanent death penalty.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Different perspective on the loss at Baylor. Not only does it not hurt the most for me, I found it somewhat amusing at the time and a case study in panic, lack of poise, and momentum. And not just by players and coaches. The outcome felt inevitable once it got going. Doesn’t hurt for me...more of a “sigh” and a foreshadowing of response. I’m much more inclined toward those Utah and S Miss games as “hurt”.

I’d likely feel the same if I were an NC State baseball fan about what happened in Lupton beginning in the 8th inning of a regional ballgame.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I recently watched the 2014 games except for one. But I guess I will go ahead and rewatch that Baylor game. That one hurts the most because of how we lost it and the impact it had.

dawg

I recently watched the 2014 games except for one. But I guess I will go ahead and rewatch that Baylor game. That one hurts the most because of how we lost it and the impact it had.

I'd rather take a sledgehammer to my package than rewatch Game Six (not to mention my other MLB team has two Game Sevens that are also on the no-watch list) or the 2014 Waco Institute of Scum and Villainy loss. Last spring, when all the networks were rebroadcasting classic games, I noticed ESPN was airing Game Six. I tried but couldn't make it through one minute, and I'm sure that 2014 one would be the same. Still too painful.