• The KillerFrogs

The scrimmage thread

JugbandFrog

I was at the game.. Off Line thoughts

Thought the 1st team OL pass blocked really well while their run blocking was pretty average. No push from the interior which is a concern.

-Coker looks improved with his footwork.

-Eze is a definite upgrade over Storment in the pass blocking game but his run push was just OK.

- Wes Harris looked rusty but was reliable

- Avilla looked just ok but nothing like GP hyped.

- LG was a rotation of Hickey and McMillon and neither were good. Not even close to good but were facing TCUs best DL in Cooper most the day. We badly need Lanz to be an upgrade there.

- 2nd team was Dike, Brown, Alston, Hayes, Nichols. I thought Hayes and Nichols were solid but they aren’t close yet to being ready for the B12. Everyone else is miles from contributing. Barlow, Guyton, and Coleman were out with injury so no idea.

Overall this should be a much improved OL but It didn’t look to me like the OL of a title contender
Avila’s snaps looked SLOW. Accurate, but they just seemed to take a long time to get to the qb.

CountryFrog

I was at the game.. Off Line thoughts

Thought the 1st team OL pass blocked really well while their run blocking was pretty average. No push from the interior which is a concern.

-Coker looks improved with his footwork.

-Eze is a definite upgrade over Storment in the pass blocking game but his run push was just OK.

- Wes Harris looked rusty but was reliable

- Avilla looked just ok but nothing like GP hyped.

- LG was a rotation of Hickey and McMillon and neither were good. Not even close to good but were facing TCUs best DL in Cooper most the day. We badly need Lanz to be an upgrade there.

- 2nd team was Dike, Brown, Alston, Hayes, Nichols. I thought Hayes and Nichols were solid but they aren’t close yet to being ready for the B12. Everyone else is miles from contributing. Barlow, Guyton, and Coleman were out with injury so no idea.

Overall this should be a much improved OL but It didn’t look to me like the OL of a title contender
If it had looked like the OL of a title contender then what would that say about our defensive front?

HG73

Was at the game. O will be better. #6 is good. Use him right, don't wear him out/get him hurt, we have excellent backs to do the heavy lifting. Team is big, receivers big, Dbacks big, team should be physical. Looks like we have some QB depth.

4th. down

Was at the game. O will be better. #6 is good. Use him right, don't wear him out/get him hurt, we have excellent backs to do the heavy lifting. Team is big, receivers big, Dbacks big, team should be physical. Looks like we have some QB depth.

What is your take on Max's passing compared to last year? Jeremy Clark said he looked good throwing the ball but overshot a couple of deep verticals. Don't remember who the receiver was (not QJ) but he didn't turn around and look for the ball on a deep one........just saying. Max was telling him on the sideline to use his eyes and look for it quicker.

ticketfrog123

What is your take on Max's passing compared to last year? Jeremy Clark said he looked good throwing the ball but overshot a couple of deep verticals. Don't remember who the receiver was (not QJ) but he didn't turn around and look for the ball on a deep one........just saying. Max was telling him on the sideline to use his eyes and look for it quicker.

I would also like to tell max to use his eyes given how many wide open receivers he never saw with his poor vision and awareness

asleep003

What I think is irrelevant.
You're the one that said the "#1s are set barring injury" ... not asking for your relevancy..just who are those 5 you're speaking of.?. Still think 2 of those OL spots are up for a very nasty competition and not set.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I love the conclusions that are being drawn about our QB's progression or lack thereof based on the 6 passes he threw in a spring game.

If he had completed 6 straight 50 yard bombs then it wouldn't change anything for me. It's 6 passes. He needs to be more consistent with decision making and accuracy but there's no way you see any of that in 6 passes during an intrasquad scrimmage.

Eight

I love the conclusions that are being drawn about our QB's progression or lack thereof based on the 6 passes he threw in a spring game.

If he had completed 6 straight 50 yard bombs then it wouldn't change anything for me. It's 6 passes. He needs to be more consistent with decision making and accuracy but there's no way you see any of that in 6 passes during an intrasquad scrimmage.

what????? every possible thing we needed to know about the frogs going into next year was on display during that public scrimmage and we can make definitive assumptions about every face of the 2022 team

Limp Lizard

I guess this was the first Spring "game" for many here. The fact that the offense did not look horrendous and actually scored some TDs is amazing! Remember this was the first time even the press has seen this team. And super paranoid GP ain't gonna show anything. Most plays were probably called not to succeed, but to show the coaches something on film about some individual players. Some technique issues to work on over the summer.

Anyone who goes to one of these thing expecting a show like some schools put on is going to be terribly disappointed.

HG73

He's a year older and should be a year better. He has all the players around him, he doesn't have to win the game all by himself.