• The KillerFrogs

Jeremiah Donati is a Spineless, [ muschi ]

Wexahu

I'm pretty impartial to ADJD as I don't really have much of a gripe for what he's done or hasn't done. For those who have such a strong opinion of him and don't think he's the right guy for the job, what would you consider the top 5-10 decisions he has made at this point that you would disagree with. This also includes decisions to do nothing about something that you feel should have been made/done differently?

Hard to answer that question, but compared to the other B12 AD's, his resume at the time he got the job was probably the weakest, and saying "probably" is being nice. I believe he was 33 years old when he came to TCU and was given the job at age 39. No previous AD experience. His hiring reeked of just not wanting to rock the boat, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the performance in the three main sports has been lacking. He may not be an empty suit, but he gives off that vibe pretty strongly. For me it's more not having much confidence that he'll make the right, tough decision when it needs to be made.

netty2424

Hard to answer that question, but compared to the other B12 AD's, his resume at the time he got the job was probably the weakest, and saying "probably" is being nice. I believe he was 33 years old when he came to TCU and was given the job at age 39. No previous AD experience. His hiring reeked of just not wanting to rock the boat, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the performance in the three main sports has been lacking. He may not be an empty suit, but he gives off that vibe pretty strongly. For me it's more not having much confidence that he'll make the right, tough decision when it needs to be made.
Fair enough and I don’t necessarily disagree. I guess I refer back to my point to Jake, I’m not sure there’s an AD in the country who would come in here and have any influence on what GP does or doesn’t do.

It’s a rare situation here with two coaches really, in GP and Schloss.

flyfishingfrog

Fair enough and I don’t necessarily disagree. I guess I refer back to my point to Jake, I’m not sure there’s an AD in the country who would come in here and have any influence on what GP does or doesn’t do.

It’s a rare situation here with two coaches really, in GP and Schloss.
No one is or was going to mess with those guys

but that should leave him plenty of time to run the rest of the Athletic department to the gold standard

let me know when that starts happening

PurpleBlood87

I am in the insurance and I don’t think many people understand the fear of liability suits in this climate. There are a lot of decisions being made that 3 years from now folks may look back and say I told you so. There is also the possibility you get wiped out financially for COVID related claims. Give it a rest unless you are the one with something to lose.

Come to a game and see the students piled in one section like sardines and tell me TCU is worried at all about COVID in Lupton.

PurpleBlood87

Haha. My wife and I were recipients of an aggressive scolding after snapping some zip ties. It’s obnoxious how many seats are being wasted while people sit shoulder to shoulder in the outfield or the student section.

So instead we slid over and sat directly next to two strangers in non-zip tie seats. Two very nice folks. Enjoyed their company.

Foursome?

PurpleBlood87

This. During yesterday's game, there were some kids playing around, playing catch behind the fence close to right center. Nobody within 15-20 feet of them. One of the blue shirts came over and told them they couldn't throw the ball around. Then the guy stood over there for a couple of innings.

Today some students were sitting on the row in front of the visiting dugout and one put a bottle of water on the top of the dugout.
A usher came down and told her to move it.
At Rangers games that is a common practice and no one gets told to stop.
So you can't put a water bottle there but the Showgirls can dance on top of it.

flyfishingfrog

Today some students were sitting on the row in front of the visiting dugout and one put a bottle of water on the top of the dugout.
A usher came down and told her to move it.
At Rangers games that is a common practice and no one gets told to stop.
So you can't put a water bottle there but the Showgirls can dance on top of it.
And tech can throw water at them....

just kidding not trying to stir up the debate again

ticketfrog123

I'm pretty impartial to ADJD as I don't really have much of a gripe for what he's done or hasn't done. For those who have such a strong opinion of him and don't think he's the right guy for the job, what would you consider the top 5-10 decisions he has made at this point that you would disagree with. This also includes decisions to do nothing about something that you feel should have been made/done differently?

what are the top 5-10 decisions he’s made to earn compensation similar to the other, much more tenured or experienced ADs in the conference?

East side expansion was a big issue. Sounds like athletics is still trying to raise money from donors to help with Covid

tetonfrog

My top comment on this thread is that our fans’ complaints about our COVID policy should go to the Chancellor and not the AD. Clearly, this is not ADJD’s decision. It is being made above his rank.

As for the Big 3 sports, no incoming AD was going to change anything in football and baseball. If you really believe that Del Conte or anyone is going to tell GP or JS what to do is nuts.

I understand the frustration with football, but there is a strong chance we will have a strong season in the fall.

And how is baseball slipping? Last year got wiped out by COVID & this year’s team is about to win the Big 12 & have a great chance to go to Omaha.

And if we let Dixon go to UCLA & they reach the final four under him, then the same fans who blast the AD for keeping him are the same fans who would blast him for letting him go. How do we know a new coach would be even better?

Frog79

I want to go to a baseball game and sit in my normal season tickets... not feel like I'm breaking rules by "sneaking" into the reserved seats and hoping I'm not asked to leave... or having to bring a lawn chair and fight for real estate in the outfield.

There's really no excuse they couldn't have given season ticket holders their seats back as soon as the state capacity limit was lifted (this is exactly what Tech and many SEC schools did)

Absolutely. 100 percent. There is certainly no science-based reason not to open back up fully. Our administration is full of cowards.

netty2424

what are the top 5-10 decisions he’s made to earn compensation similar to the other, much more tenured or experienced ADs in the conference?

East side expansion was a big issue. Sounds like athletics is still trying to raise money from donors to help with Covid
Well he’s a P5 AD so he should be compensated as such.

As for the east side, it opened late. Wasn’t that primarily due to weather delays? Once they knew it wasn’t opening on time, they slowed it down. I’m not sure what the controversy is on that. Not arguing your point, I just don’t know the details I guess. Was it something he did that caused the delayed opening?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Well he’s a P5 AD so he should be compensated as such.

As for the east side, it opened late. Wasn’t that primarily due to weather delays? Once they knew it wasn’t opening on time, they slowed it down. I’m not sure what the controversy is on that. Not arguing your point, I just don’t know the details I guess. Was it something he did that caused the delayed opening?
And so what if the east side was delayed? It didn't hurt or affect anything. The most important thing is it, like the other projects, was built without debt. That IMO is by far the most important aspect.

Pharm Frog

I reject all assumptions that the AD cannot be expected to lead and influence “the big three” and set vision and direction for the athletic department comprehensively. If he has no expected impact or influence on inarguably the most important elements of his division, then pay him about a fourth of his salary and stick him in the development office.