• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie gonna Cumbie

Armadillo

Yup. I always liked cumbie. but I was also ready for him to leave by last year. But dear god he tried too hard. And I love a good trick play, but his trick play could be predicted by a silly armchair quarterback like me every time.

For the record, I can also predict every fake punt against us in the last 10 years. Sadly. :(o_O

ftwfrog

But did the WR and QB drift back about 10 yards before trying the throw it back? That’s classic Cumbie.
I don’t despise Cumbie near as much as most on this board but the “Take the hike, take two steps back and sling it 30 yards towards the side line, five yards behind the line of scrimmage” never seemed to work like it was supposed to. Especially when we had Darius and Sewo in the backfield waiting for the handoff.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Laugh now but that play will work against our Defense when we play Tech
Oh, I'm sure he has been scheming that game in his mind for nearly every waking minute since he left town.

I just hope it turns out like the last OC who left coming back to Fort Worth for the first time to show Patterson how it's done...

Armadillo

So when TCU plays tech next year, I promise you the 1st offensive play that tech runs will be trick play. And if not, then in the first 5 plays. Plain and simple. I also bet that in the first offensive series, tech will run some of bomb pass play. Down the sideline.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Watched the media day after their Spring Game. Tech fans seem happy with him (as do players). His hands were tied here over the past three years IMO.
You refer to playcalling, I gather. Perhaps he was. Maybe GMFP got tired of watching bubble screens get thrown for losses.

I do know that for whatever play was called, the execution of that play, from the blocking, to the mesh/pass, to the execution of the route, to the catch (in the unlikely event there was one), was lacking. The QB position itself, which was his own personal bailiwick, never seemed to develop anybody or address individual deficiencies in such a way as to improve them. In short, he seemed incapable of doing his job of developing and molding an offense due to a lack of teaching fundamentals and effective instruction.

Perhaps he does great at Tech. It's possible that the observations noted above were not the fault of Sonny, and that he has been scapegoated for a host of sins committed by others. It's possible...

ticketfrog123

You refer to playcalling, I gather. Perhaps he was. Maybe GMFP got tired of watching bubble screens get thrown for losses.

I do know that for whatever play was called, the execution of that play, from the blocking, to the mesh/pass, to the execution of the route, to the catch (in the unlikely event there was one), was lacking. The QB position itself, which was his own personal bailiwick, never seemed to develop anybody or address individual deficiencies in such a way as to improve them. In short, he seemed incapable of doing his job of developing and molding an offense due to a lack of teaching fundamentals and effective instruction.

Perhaps he does great at Tech. It's possible that the observations noted above were not the fault of Sonny, and that he has been scapegoated for a host of sins committed by others. It's possible...

poor selection and lack of developing QBs was his downfall

Offering Wooten was weird, so was being at a point where Downing is our #2