• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Pharm Frog

I'm pretty sure that most fans don't really need a preview of Baylor - our rival and constant opponent. But here it is anyway. Baylor is 26-4, 8-1 on the road, #2 in the country and one of the top teams in the country; having returned much of their team (minus Benedict Brooksby) and recruited 1/3rd of Duke's team as graduate transfers. Their record is gaudy - they have W's over Lamar, ACU, SMU (twice), Michigan, Texas, OU, UT-Tyler, A&M, Texas (again), Illinois, Trinity (twice), UTA, Wake Forest, Arizona State, Arizona, Louisiana, Dallas Baptist, Lamar (again), SMU (again), Oklahoma State, Oklahoma (again), ACU (again), Tech and Midwestern State and L's only to TCU, North Carolina, A&M and Texas. There are definitely some good W's in there and all the L's are quality, but there's some fluff in there too. That reflects a difference in scheduling philosophy in which the Bears wanted to schedule as many matches as possible in order to get accustomed to winning. All-time, TCU leads the series 35-21, including a 30-match win streak we had from 1975-1998 and a 15-match win streak they had from 2002-2015. Since then, we're 4-2, including the 1/31 4-1 match we won earlier this year to snap their 2-match W streak.

We know their players well. In January, they took the doubles point - Gray/Fomba beat Sven Lah/Constantin Frantzen; but Jong/Kruger lost to Adrian Boitan/Nick Stachowiak and Martin/Paroulek lost to Charlie Broom/Matias Soto. But then, we stormed back and won 4 singles matches - Fomba over Boitan; Gray over Soto, Jong over Lah and Paroulek over Broom. Jirousek v. Stachowiak and Martin v. Spencer Furman went unfinished. Like us, they have 5 ranked players. They are experienced and play a disciplined style (and only occasionally bad call their opponents on match point).

I think this qualifies as one of the biggest TCU v. Baylor matches of all time. We're 4-0; they're 3-1 in the final match of the 2021 regular season. If we win, we take the trophy outright; if not, they'll tie us (and so will Texas if they get by Tech in the Lubbock winds.) They'll be favored in the Big 12 tourney in Waco, so if we want arguable superiority this season, we need to take the regular season crown by ourselves.

The match is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. (CDT). I'll be at work and will miss it. Hopefully, fans will be allowed and we'll have a good turnout.

Only students allowed because COVID doesn’t infect students when they are eating free tacos.

Longfrog

Here's B12 records for the two teams so far. Obviously both teams have played the same conference schedule so far, except the teams we played at home, Baylor played on the road and vice versa.

Really hope Jirousek is fit to play tomorrow. He played vs OU so I'd like to think Roditi held him back on Friday to make sure he was ready for Sunday.

I'll also be interested to see how Baylor lines up at 3/4. Given Jong has had his struggles (though he get a big win on Friday), I would expect to see Lah playing at 3. Really crucial for us to win whichever court Lah ends up playing on.

TCU_Baylor.jpg

Longfrog

My greedy side would also love to see us win 4 singles matches again. I listened to the Cracked Racquets pod from a week ago and they said that to beat Baylor you have to win the doubles point because nobody is beating them in 4 singles matches. This despite the fact that we already did it. Then a few days later Texas did too.

Jared7

Prior to tomorrow's gigantic battle against Baylor, Alex Rybakov will return to action in the qualies at the Tallahassee Challenger (scheduled for 10:20 a.m CDT) against Michael Geerts (Belgium; ATP#359; played at Arizona State). Also, Benedict Brooksby is into the finals at the Orlando Challenger against Denis Kudla.

Cam Norrie will return to action on Monday at the Barcelona Open where he'll play Salvatore Caruso (Italy; ATP#89) in the Round of 64.

Jared7

Rybo's match was delayed due to rain in Tallahassee, so now, I'm gonna miss both it and the Frogs v. Baylor. Mmmmm - free tacos.

Longfrog

If you told me we'd win both 3 & 4 singles, I would have been feeling pretty good about things. Fomba and Gray have been really good this year, but they were the biggest reason we lost today. They should be winning that doubles match, which probably gets us the point. Gray beat Soto handily in their first matchup, but I guess today was payback. I don't blame Gray for the loss as much as the scoreline, since Soto is really good and clearly better than Boitan at #1 imo. Fomba needs to win that match.

I don't really blame Paroulek and Kruger for losing, since they were underdogs on paper. I assume Jirousek is still hurt. No idea about Martin, but to me he's clearly preferable to either Paroulek or Kruger.

elephant

Can someone explain what happened at the end of the match on court 1? I wandered over after the baseball game and don’t really know much about tennis but something weird happened

Jared7

C'est la vie. Ending up in a 3-way tie is kind of like kissing one's sister; we get a championship (the kiss) but it has to be shared with the two teams we despise the most (your sister). And going into the day we were the only ones that could have had the outright title. Assuming CTR is right, Texas will get the top seed, Baylor (because they beat us) will get the 2nd seed (and the other bye) and we will be relegated to the quarters and the 3rd seed where we will open up on Thursday against the 6th seed (Oklahoma State?? - I'm just guessing here). The tourney will be this weekend in Waco. I think Baylor will be favored because of the location, but Texas is hot too. Maybe we'll have more incentive having lost late. We're 15-6; probably 6th in the ITA rankings. We'll see.

Rybo ended up beating Geerts 7-6, 7-6.and he's into the 2nd round of qualies at Tallahassee. He's scheduled to play Brazilian Orlando Luz (ATP#123) shortly - it would be a gigantic upset if he could win.

Cam Norrie just beat Caruso 1 and 2 at Barcelona and has advanced - not sure who he'll be playing next.

Last edited:

jake102

Rybo ended up beating Geerts 7-6, 7-6.and he's into the 2nd round of qualies at Tallahassee. He's scheduled to play Brazilian Orlando Luz (ATP#123) shortly - it would be a gigantic upset if he could win.

Cam Norrie just beat Caruso 1 and 2 at Barcelona and has advanced - not sure who he'll be playing next.

Orlando Luz is rated #123 in doubles, his singles ranking is #328. So much more reasonable.

Norrie is playing such good tennis. I wish they would get the rankings back to normal... feel like he should be much higher. He gets his old friend Khachanov next.... I somewhat like Norrie's chances on clay here, although Khachanov discarded him pretty easily last match.

Longfrog

Can someone explain what happened at the end of the match on court 1? I wandered over after the baseball game and don’t really know much about tennis but something weird happened

I wasn't able to watch much of the video feed. With no information, my best guess would be that they were debating whether to finish the match or not. Once we lost on court 6, Baylor got their 4th point and the dual was over. But sometimes they let the matches that are still in progress finish. Fomba had lost the 1st set and was in a tiebreaker, and there's really not much incentive for the guy who's down to finish since their ranking takes a hit if they get an official loss. I'm guessing there was also a pretty rowdy celebration from the Baylor guys once they got the last win they needed, and maybe that was distracting too.

Might also have been a trophy ceremony? With the result, both teams shared the conference title.

What were you seeing?

Last edited:

Jared7

Rybo just beat Luz easily 2 and 3, so he's advanced at the Tallahassee Challenger!

Jensen Brooksby won the Orlando Challenger title yesterday over Kudla. That's 2 Challenger titles in 2 months - better than Norrie's debut. I'm beginning to revise my opinion of him and I'm considering no longer referring to him as a villain. Instead, perhaps we should just ignore the Baylor interregnum and just refer to him favorably as a "former Frog recruit." It's not like he really played all that much for Baylor. I bet Roditi still likes him.

Jared7

The Big 12 has announced the official seedings. Texas gets the #1 seed and will play the winner between Tech and Oklahoma State. Baylor is #2 and will play the winner between TCU and Oklahoma. We'll play the Sooners on Saturday; the semis will be on Sunday and the championship on Monday. The ITA hasn't officially announced the new rankings publicly, but they are calculable and Texas will apparently be #2, Baylor #3 and TCU #6.

Longfrog

It's not like he really played all that much for Baylor.

That's what I'm saying. I mean, if you knew he was never going to play anyways, you'd have happily shipped him off to Baylor. Let them wear the disappointment and wonder what might have been. Why look for reasons to make an enemy out of one of the few promising Americans out there.

Jared7

Rybo's W over Luz propelled him into the main draw at the Tallahassee Challenger although he got a bad draw in that he must now play Denis Kudla, who lost to Brooksby (er, that's revered one-time Frog recruit Jenson Brooksby) at last week's Orlando Challenger. Kudla (ATP#117) is a 28-year old Ukranian-American, who's won 18 Challengers and made 17 other Challenger finals, has earned over $3 million in his career and has had occasional success on the regular ATP tour. Rybo won't be favored, but he's been playing well. Looking over the draw, the Challenger level is clearly where Rybo should be because this is where all his contemporaries are - guys like Torpegaard, Kwiatkowski, Aragone, Krueger, Damm and many others. He needs to regularly qualify at this level. In fact, he was at the Orlando Challenger last week (but only in doubles ). The match is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.

Norrie v. Khachanov is scheduled for 12:00 (noon) - maybe it'll be on the Tennis Channel. Khachanov is the 12th seed at Barcelona and he's ATP#23. He's 6'6" and very dangerous - Cam won't be favored either.

Last edited:

Jared7

Check it out! Cam Norrie has a new website - www.camnorrie.com! It doesn't seem to have a lot of information as yet, so I'm not sure if it's the go to site for all things Cam, but maybe it'll evolve into that. He is the #2 player from the U.K., the #3 ex-U.S. college player, he may be headed to the Olympics and in 2021, he's been playing at a pretty high level. Hopefully, the new site will soon be celebrating a W over Khachanov.

Jared7

Given the "controversy" concerning the ITA rankings (which only I seem to be all that interested in), the NCAA Selection Committee is being somewhat cagey about the announcement of the host sites for the regionals in the upcoming NCAA tournament. Instead of just announcing the 16 selected sites, they instead announced 20 potential sites and these include each of Ohio State, Michigan and Illinois (from the Big 10) and USC and Stanford (from the Pac 12). So, they've basically kicked the can down the road regarding actually deciding whether teams like Ohio State (who aren't anywhere near the ITA Top 16 in the computer rankings) will host regionals.

Whatever, right? The big news is that TCU is one of the 20 and will almost certainly be one of the ultimate 16 host sites.

Jared7

Norrie v. Khachanov has started in Barcelona - no Tennis Channel. Cam got an early break and is up 2-1. Now that Prince Harry has stepped back from royal duties, I'm wondering if any of his former charities will ask Cam to become their patron (or am I just not understanding how this whole royal divine right thang works)?

The SEC conference tourney has started but had to be moved indoors because of the possibility of snow.

The WCC comes down to BYU-Pepperdine on Friday - BYU must win to get in; Pepperdine almost certainly already in.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Norrie v. Khachanov has started in Barcelona - no Tennis Channel. Cam got an early break and is up 2-1. Now that Prince Harry has stepped back from royal duties, I'm wondering if any of his former charities will ask Cam to become their patron (or am I just not understanding how this whole royal divine right thang works)?

The SEC conference tourney has started but had to be moved indoors because of the possibility of snow.

The WCC comes down to BYU-Pepperdine on Friday - BYU must win to get in; Pepperdine almost certainly already in.
Where is it possibly snowing?