• The KillerFrogs

If you could pick....

Moose Stuff

1) J R Richard
2) Jon Peters (full disclosure — I played several baseball games against Jon and his “injuries” were not all physical.) In fact, I felt like he was the second-best pitcher on his own team by the time I graduated.

He probably was. James Nix was definitely more talented than him.

Limp Lizard

For us old guys...Mickey Mantle. One of the all time greats who tore his ACL his rookie season and played that way his entire 18-year career. His home plate to first base time (3.1 seconds) is still the record. To Baby Boomer boys like myself, he was the baseball star. Was out the end of 1961 when Roger Maris hit 61 homers. Pretty good chance Mantle could have beaten him that year. Always injured, (nearly) always hung over, Mantle was a remarkable talent.

As far as TCU guys go, I'll have to say Scott Ankrom. He as a phenomenal talent until he tore up his knee against SMU. He put more DBs on the ground with his moves than I have ever seen. Still holds the record with the longest pass play (99 yds, Ankrom to Maness) for TCU.

Pharm Frog

He probably was. James Nix was definitely more talented than him.

And likely why we only faced Peters for two innings my entire varsity career. Actually I felt like there were at least four pitchers in that 6-team zone better than Jon by the time I graduated. IMO Rich Robertson was better than both Peters and Nix.

East Coast

Tier 1
I'm gonna give you one that I'm almost certain you've never heard of..... Brian Cole.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2013/04/01/the-best-player-you-never-saw

I'd forgotten about Brian Cole. Another one where it wasn't injuries was Ted Williams. Williams lost almost 5 years to military service, 3 in WWII (where he enlisted), and all but less than 50 games combined in 1952/53 in Korea. The military had screwed up and was running out of pilots, so they recalled him at the age of 33. He ended up serving in the same squadron as the astronaut John Glenn; and was eventually hit and barely making it back to base, where he crash landed.

He also lost 1/2 year after breaking his shoulder making a catch in the all star game, and another 50 or so with a broken elbow due to a HBP (if he had been wearing Barry Bonds armor he would have been fine)

Another interesting fact about Teddy Ballgame was he hit a home run in his last at bat, TWICE. When he was recalled he played in a couple of games in 1952. No one thought he would return after this 2nd tour and he hit a homerun in his last at bat. He did it again at the age of 41 when he retired in 1960.

East Coast

Tier 1
For us old guys...Mickey Mantle. One of the all time greats who tore his ACL his rookie season and played that way his entire 18-year career. His home plate to first base time (3.1 seconds) is still the record. To Baby Boomer boys like myself, he was the baseball star. Was out the end of 1961 when Roger Maris hit 61 homers. Pretty good chance Mantle could have beaten him that year. Always injured, (nearly) always hung over, Mantle was a remarkable talent.

As far as TCU guys go, I'll have to say Scott Ankrom. He as a phenomenal talent until he tore up his knee against SMU. He put more DBs on the ground with his moves than I have ever seen. Still holds the record with the longest pass play (99 yds, Ankrom to Maness) for TCU.
I was at the Boston College game where Ankrom tore it up again.

Limp Lizard

I was at the Boston College game where Ankrom tore it up again.
Only now do we have a QB who could run like a healthy Ankrom. Make that with Ankrom's speed. Boykin was perhaps more elusive, but didn't have blazing speed like Ankrom and Duggan. Maybe Duggan will add some more moves as he progresses.

Last edited:

Paul in uhh

If you can pick ONE athlete ever to have an injury-free career (from beginning to end), who are you choosing?

I would pick Ken Griffey Jr. Hard to believe that he wouldn't have broke the homerun record if he had stayed healthy. Was never the same player after he left Seattle.

Bo Jackson is by far the most popular answer in the comments.

Who would you guys like to have seen play with an injury free career? Since it seems like everybody only named pro athletes, let's take it one step further and include college athletes too.

TIGER F WOODS

Limp Lizard

I'd forgotten about Brian Cole. Another one where it wasn't injuries was Ted Williams. Williams lost almost 5 years to military service, 3 in WWII (where he enlisted), and all but less than 50 games combined in 1952/53 in Korea. The military had screwed up and was running out of pilots, so they recalled him at the age of 33. He ended up serving in the same squadron as the astronaut John Glenn; and was eventually hit and barely making it back to base, where he crash landed..
Williams is kinda the poster boy for great players don't always make good coaches. Regarded by some as the greatest hitter in the history of baseball, Williams just could not coach how to hit. From what I have read he was a well below average hitting coach.

Limp Lizard

TIGER F WOODS
I probably would have stopped watching golf on TV. Just like I stopped watching tennis due to John McEnroe. The fawning media would have stopped televising any tournaments that he did not play in (like Colonial). It would have destroyed golf. That is if you also mean he would not have been injured by a wife/girlfriend/husband of girlfriend.

Purp

Len Bias had a pretty bad self-inflicted injury. He would have been fun to watch and could have changed the way sports marketing evolved in the 80s and 90s.

Mean Purple

What about David Duvall? Tiger, Phil, Duvall competing against each other in their prime. Would have been pretty special.
Can't remember what happened to Duvall, but I remember it pretty much ended him at his peak. Always seemed like a pretty free moving swing.

He's been a good analyst on Golf Channel.