• The KillerFrogs

OT - Home addition or moving

flyfishingfrog

Adjustable rate, right? I would think a fixed rate IO loan could only be had with a very large down payment, but I may be wrong.

There's the rub I guess.
well let's just say there are lots of options at the moment and it can be pretty cheap money - which was what caused the last crash to be so bad....

flyfishingfrog

But selling a $1.5mm house in California doesn’t mean anything unless you have equity in it. Price appreciation? Or are incomes that much better?
people in Cali make more in an apples to apples comparison for many companies because of the cost of living.

Few companies ever "reduce" salaries for relocation although if its promotion based - the increase may not be as large if you are relo'ing from a high cost to a lower cost area.

The whole pandemic - work virtual thing has thrown off all of that. Attended a "virtual" presentation for a company of the future of work and how things are starting to evolve even as we begin the return to normal. basically some hybrid of onsite/remote is expected to be the new standard with many organizations offering a remote option for many roles in exchange for a lower total cost of compensation - to support a movement by employees to not want to return to the office 5 days a week if at all. so people are often able to move and keep their same job and pay right now.

But also anyone that has owned a home in Cali for the last 10 years, but particularly those that are longer - is going to a staggering amount of value appreciation assuming they don't live in one of the natural disaster plagued areas or in a high crime district. Saw a report the other day than Inland Empire residential sales prices are up 5-7x over average pricing a decade ago - and they were already high a decade ago.

Last edited:

Eight

Question: where is all the money coming from?

appreciation which in some case is just insane

brother in law had a home in issaquah which is (was) a fairly far out suburb of seattle to the east. home was originally just over 2,200 square feet with an unfinished basement.

during their 20+ years in that house they finished out the basement, did some additional work, and the house that was originally purchased for $200K went for 1.1M with some help from microsoft opening up a campus up the hill from their home

he and his wife bought a very nice 4- bedroom home in renton just over 3,000 square feet. roughly 6-7 years later they are selling that because it is 2 stories and moving into a 1 story closer to their daughter on the se side of seattle and that house in renton who appreciated roughly 60-70%.

big drivers are thee californians who are scheissing dispised by the natives from the northwest and the high tech families who are making stupid money between them.

Paint It Purple

This is totally an off-topic question, but has anybody dealt with doing a second floor addition to a home in DFW. We love the neighborhood we live in, and are struggling making a decision between adding onto our house or moving. I assume a lot of people on this board have dealt with similar situations. What was your experience like adding a second story/remodeling. Are you glad you dealt with the hassle or do you wish you would have just moved?

Thanks again for any advice.
My daughter did this in Houston. 1 story ranch in very desirable neighborhood. They added a 2nd story, done very tastefully I might add. I don’t know what their “all-in”was, but sold it for $1.2MM after having 3rd kid and wanting even freaking bigger house.

ps: I just don’t get what home prices are going for these days in these cities. Yes I’m old.

flyfishingfrog

My daughter did this in Houston. 1 story ranch in very desirable neighborhood. They added a 2nd story, done very tastefully I might add. I don’t know what their “all-in”was, but sold it for $1.2MM after having 3rd kid and wanting even freaking bigger house.

ps: I just don’t get what home prices are going for these days in these cities. Yes I’m old.
everybody wants bigger....

crazy to think that we raised 6 kids in a 1950 sq ft house and never realized the house was small until my kids got old enough to buy their own and now they have almost that many sq ft per person it seems....

FrogAbroad

My antepenultimate move was from Guatemala City to El Paso...bought a nice little house that was being remodeled top to bottom by a couple of investors...looks and feels like new but without the new price tag. Moving is a beating. I've done it several times, 9 moves involving 4 countries since the spousal unit and I have been wed (Wed? Wedded? Whatever...), if I'm counting correctly, and I don't plan on doing it again. Well...maybe one more time...

There's this special spot on Highway 118 a few miles west of Fort Davis, where the highway begins a curve around one of the gentle Davis Mountains, and there's sort of a place to pull off the road, not much more than a wide spot. From there the land slopes downward, mostly south and a little east, and in the springtime you can watch the wind dancing in the green grass that stretches out in front of you. It's a quiet place there, just the occasional cry of a red-tailed hawk circling in the updrafts, searching for a meal down below. Hardly any traffic at all, no big rigs roaring by, it's a peaceful place where you can stand and look backwards in time, to when the world wasn't so noisey and busy and over-run with humans. There's always a breeze there, sometimes enough to snatch your hat off, but always fresh and clean, and even in the summer, cool. That's the place, right there.

I don't know when it'll be, and I don't know exactly how I'll get there, but that will be my penultimate move, when someone who feels the same way I do about the words I'm writing and understands them, when that someone takes that box of ashes out of the car and after a few moments of reflection casts them up, into the air that will carry what's left of me to the place my heart aches to be every day of my life.

hiphopfroggy

Given any consideration to selling the house and moving to Austin? They are accommodating many people who are “between houses”.

If you are worried about housing prices in DFW then you don't want to even take a peek at what is happening in Austin right now.

Curious, do you have any solutions to America's homelessness problem? It seems to have worsened quite significantly during the Trump administration.

Paint It Purple

My antepenultimate move was from Guatemala City to El Paso...bought a nice little house that was being remodeled top to bottom by a couple of investors...looks and feels like new but without the new price tag. Moving is a beating. I've done it several times, 9 moves involving 4 countries since the spousal unit and I have been wed (Wed? Wedded? Whatever...), if I'm counting correctly, and I don't plan on doing it again. Well...maybe one more time...

There's this special spot on Highway 118 a few miles west of Fort Davis, where the highway begins a curve around one of the gentle Davis Mountains, and there's sort of a place to pull off the road, not much more than a wide spot. From there the land slopes downward, mostly south and a little east, and in the springtime you can watch the wind dancing in the green grass that stretches out in front of you. It's a quiet place there, just the occasional cry of a red-tailed hawk circling in the updrafts, searching for a meal down below. Hardly any traffic at all, no big rigs roaring by, it's a peaceful place where you can stand and look backwards in time, to when the world wasn't so noisey and busy and over-run with humans. There's always a breeze there, sometimes enough to snatch your hat off, but always fresh and clean, and even in the summer, cool. That's the place, right there.

I don't know when it'll be, and I don't know exactly how I'll get there, but that will be my penultimate move, when someone who feels the same way I do about the words I'm writing and understands them, when that someone takes that box of ashes out of the car and after a few moments of reflection casts them up, into the air that will carry what's left of me to the place my heart aches to be every day of my life.
FrogAbroad...I hope you arrive at that place when the time comes. If I may intrude on your pinpoint on this earth for only a moment...I know this place. Long ago, on a pure whim, I and my young beautiful bride drove out to this place in the Davis that you speak of. We pulled over, and sat in the tall grass, enjoyed the breeze you speak of and thought we were in heaven. I envy your special place and would wish it my own, but will settle for my memories there. I too trust that some day my children will pause for a moment on an old rusting bridge above the Brazos de Dios as they say goodbye. Perhaps those Brazos waters will someday reach the Gulf of Mexico and mingle with the waters that have made the journey around the Big Bend and on down the Rio Grande.

Some that are smarter than I am are predicting a return of 2008 to some degree. If the freeze on foreclosing is lifted, and those that have entered into a deferred payment plan due to COVID-19 realize all the months of payments they have been skipping have to be paid back in a lump sum, there may be thousands of foreclosures hit the market and will drive property values down drastically. Of course, those coming from California will still have cash in hand and will be buying Texas property up as fast as they can. Fannie and Freddie have already priced in an adjustment on all investment and second home mortgages.

if you need to take cash out of your property, do it before the end of the year. Better yet, do it now before inflation raises its ugly head and rates go up.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

That was beautiful.

This post should be pinned at the top and anytime someone gets testy in a game day thread or about politics they are automatically redirected to your post to chill out and remember all that is good in this world.

Brog

That sure sounds great, but how far is the nearest Trader Joe's?

Ron Swanson

FrogAbroad...I hope you arrive at that place when the time comes. If I may intrude on your pinpoint on this earth for only a moment...I know this place. Long ago, on a pure whim, I and my young beautiful bride drove out to this place in the Davis that you speak of. We pulled over, and sat in the tall grass, enjoyed the breeze you speak of and thought we were in heaven. I envy your special place and would wish it my own, but will settle for my memories there. I too trust that some day my children will pause for a moment on an old rusting bridge above the Brazos de Dios as they say goodbye. Perhaps those Brazos waters will someday reach the Gulf of Mexico and mingle with the waters that have made the journey around the Big Bend and on down the Rio Grande.
“Hey dad, is that Bill Shakespeare over there, I can’t tell”

tenor.gif