• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Explaining the Chandler Morris situation and why he still may not be eligible for TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Explaining the Chandler Morris situation and why he still may not be eligible for TCU

BY DREW DAVISON

The Big 12 is doing away with its intraconference transfer rules requiring players to sit out a year, a source confirmed. The same source confirmed that the NCAA will approve a one-time transfer proposal, allowing all athletes to transfer once and become immediately eligible.

So it would seem like TCU quarterback Chandler Morris would be eligible for the fall, right? He’s an intraconference transfer, going from Oklahoma to TCU, and is transferring following his freshman season. Well, not so fast.

Morris still may not be eligible this fall unless Oklahoma releases him from his national letter of intent (NLI). Essentially, OU could block Morris from playing this season on a technicality.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article250680334.html

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
So they want to enforce the NLI (which actually I don't mind holding someone responsible for a contractural agreement) while the NCAA and Big 12 ease transfer rules. Seems like something has to give. Sounds to me like the NLIs will have to change.

Eight

So they want to enforce the NLI (which actually I don't mind holding someone responsible for a contractural agreement) while the NCAA and Big 12 ease transfer rules. Seems like something has to give. Sounds to me like the NLIs will have to change.

are scholarships renewed on a year by year basis?

Eight

very likely i am way wrong on this, but if a nli is for a one year scholarship wouldn't that only bind him during the term of the scholarship?

p.s. steel, don't try to send me some explanation of contract law and then try to bill me for the research and answer

CryptoMiner

Isnt a NLI and a scholarship agreement two different things?

Yes and no. When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year. (From NLI website).

So a scholarship agreement is part of the NLI agreement. However you are not required to sign an NLI and can instead sign a separate scholarship agreement directly with the school.

CryptoMiner

very likely i am way wrong on this, but if a nli is for a one year scholarship wouldn't that only bind him during the term of the scholarship?

p.s. steel, don't try to send me some explanation of contract law and then try to bill me for the research and answer

It is for one academic year and since he left before the end of the year he violated his agreement and is subject to the penalties included in the NLI unless he gets a release or a waiver.

Eight

It is for one academic year and since he left before the end of the year he violated his agreement.

which makes perfect sense, the question then becomes if you violate your terms of the agreement does the agreement spell out the consequences?

for example, if he had to walk on to another school before the completion of one calendar year makes perfect sense. if he were unable to participate for a school before the completion of one calendar year makes perfect sense for a sport that competes in two semesters for example

what doesn't make sense though is if the restrictions were to extend beyond the one year period

CryptoMiner

which makes perfect sense, the question then becomes if you violate your terms of the agreement does the agreement spell out the consequences?

for example, if he had to walk on to another school before the completion of one calendar year makes perfect sense. if he were unable to participate for a school before the completion of one calendar year makes perfect sense for a sport that competes in two semesters for example

what doesn't make sense though is if the restrictions were to extend beyond the one year period

It states you must attend the institution you transfer to for one academic year before you become eligible to play. Academic year is by hours so if somehow he could get 24 total hours in at TCU before August, he could play (I think 12 is the min required and must be for 2 semesters but may be wrong).