• The KillerFrogs

My opinion on the transfers

Francis Xavier

After months of reading how horrible our team was, I have concluded that what is happening now is a sign of a coach who knows he needs to win this upcoming year. NCAA or bust most likely , IMO. Or some sign of serious momentum(Huge recruiting win, etc.) Since high school kids seem worse than they used to be, both attitude and talent wise, I assume Jamie sees how the winning schools now have upper class men.

Hard for me to be upset about what is happening here because to me it shows me that Coach at least knows what has to be done.(Wouldn't be surprised if he is the one sending these guys packing.) The most concerning thing to me is not the transfers(most don't belong at this level) It is a question of why did we recruit these guys to begin with. (Convo for another day.)

Jamie Plunkett put out a tweet about the transfers which was dumb. He included walk ons.

Pearson didn't belong. I am surprised about Jaedon but then again, the more I've thought about it, I've realized Samuel is likely sticking around, and this Souleymane kid coming in next year is a freak athlete if nothing else. It's entirely possible he was forced out for a reason. I am using the same logic with Todd. We got the kid from UTA and The Vandy Kid. With Miles and Fuller and hopefully Fran, we should be set at backcourt and our defense should be better automatically.

I think Todd could play at this level but I'm not a coach. I wish him the best.

This will probably develop so feel free to let me know your thoughts. Whether it works out for us or not, what I am seeing is the sign of a coach who knows his seat is warming, and knows he needs to win NOW.

Eight

how is it that there are programs not only successfully identify high school recruits who can play, but fit them into their programs?

somehow, some way, there are programs who aren't depending upon 1 and done's who are not only being competitive in their conferences but actually win a good number of their games

what is hard to understand exactly what is happening inside this program. dixon's first three classes included 12 recruits. those 3 classes were ranked 48th, 37th, and 35th in the country and 4 of the recruits were rated 4-stars or higher

9 of those 12 recruits left the program early and none left to go play pro ball somewhere in the world. they transferred out of the program. the 2019 classes was dixon's highest rated class at 30th in the nation and 3 of those players have already transferred out for other programs.

there has been no development of the younger talent because it doesn't stay around aside from bane, rj, and samuel

you refer to recruiting momentum, but from what? they stacked four top 50 classes on top of each other and 12 of those 17 players transferred out of the program

we keep being told how those numbers are common across the country but again there are other programs that somehow keep kids, give the young players a chance to play, and things come together over time

dixon has also added 7 transfers since 2019 and of the 5 from 2019 and 2020 which one has made a significant impact on the team? dennis? ledee?

the track record is not good and we have heard before the a transfer is going to make a big impact on the team.

maybe these two new will, but my fear is dixon is dug in he can win his way and he watched baylor win a national title with an offense built on high pick and role, isolation and shooting the the.

two big problems though. first, baylor had 5 shooters who shoot just at over above 40% from behind the arc. with 4 of those players taking over 100 3's during the season and the fifth player shooting over 75 3's

even with the new players, tcu doesn't match up shootng the 3 nearly as well and we find ourselves back to the infamous phrase of "if they improve just a bit"

second is that baylor was great defensively and exceptionally physical. tcu just got smaller in the back court, i have no idea if the new transfers are any good on the defensive end, and there is the problem of the hole at the 4 position

hopefully the two recruits make a big impact on this program, but just as we have heard multiple times on this board a new quarterback prospect was "just as good as" we have heard more than one the basketball coaching staff was really excited about a recruit or a transfer and yet the only constant is the turnover of the roster yet again

Hell Sent Frog

I preferred Todd on the court over Fuller, but neither one played like he should be starting.

I liked when Ledee came in, he had an important role, his biggest problem was he wasn’t much of a scorer.

If Farabello doesn’t mind coming off the bench, he’s okay.

Easley and Pearson both were never able to step up.

tetonfrog

The transfers don’t bother me at all - mainly because every school fights this now & because no one has made a difference at their new school except for Davis at SMU. My problem is the guys who have transferred in have not been any better. The two new guards plus the JUCO big man are going to help us next year. If Miles can step up & we get a ‘surprise’ ace transfer then we will be much better next year.

At least CJD is bringing in guys who have a history of making 3s. The Frogs were just awful there last year.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The transfers don’t bother me at all - mainly because every school fights this now & because no one has made a difference at their new school except for Davis at SMU. My problem is the guys who have transferred in have not been any better. The two new guards plus the JUCO big man are going to help us next year. If Miles can step up & we get a ‘surprise’ ace transfer then we will be much better next year.

At least CJD is bringing in guys who have a history of making 3s. The Frogs were just awful there last year.
Agreed. Better 3 point shooters make our offense better, or at least gives us more margin for error.

If the vandy kid truly is effective as a guy who can drive and make something happen on his own, then we have a couple of them including Miles. That can sag a defense, but you need the 3 point threats to make said defense pay.

Francis Xavier

I agree with all of you. It is concerning to me, moreso because how many missed on the recruiting trail can a program have? Its terrible. But as I said, to me it shows a coach who at least knows the clock is ticking. None of our transfers have balled out anywhere else except for KD. The lack of recruiting prowess/misses is killing me.

Eight

I agree with all of you. It is concerning to me, moreso because how many missed on the recruiting trail can a program have? Its terrible. But as I said, to me it shows a coach who at least knows the clock is ticking. None of our transfers have balled out anywhere else except for KD. The lack of recruiting prowess/misses is killing me.

not sure which is more baffling to me. looking at the offer list for fuller and trying to understand how he can't be more effective in the offensive end or the offer list of say, a certain big they brought in when a front court player switched to smu late in the recruitment process

SuperBarrFrog

Wait, so the bright side is that at least our coach knows he sucks?

Moose Stuff

not sure which is more baffling to me. looking at the offer list for fuller and trying to understand how he can't be more effective in the offensive end or the offer list of say, a certain big they brought in when a front court player switched to smu late in the recruitment process

Said big man is not good but you gotta appreciate his energy.

Froggish

After months of reading how horrible our team was, I have concluded that what is happening now is a sign of a coach who knows he needs to win this upcoming year. NCAA or bust most likely , IMO. Or some sign of serious momentum(Huge recruiting win, etc.) Since high school kids seem worse than they used to be, both attitude and talent wise, I assume Jamie sees how the winning schools now have upper class men.

Hard for me to be upset about what is happening here because to me it shows me that Coach at least knows what has to be done.(Wouldn't be surprised if he is the one sending these guys packing.) The most concerning thing to me is not the transfers(most don't belong at this level) It is a question of why did we recruit these guys to begin with. (Convo for another day.)

Jamie Plunkett put out a tweet about the transfers which was dumb. He included walk ons.

Pearson didn't belong. I am surprised about Jaedon but then again, the more I've thought about it, I've realized Samuel is likely sticking around, and this Souleymane kid coming in next year is a freak athlete if nothing else. It's entirely possible he was forced out for a reason. I am using the same logic with Todd. We got the kid from UTA and The Vandy Kid. With Miles and Fuller and hopefully Fran, we should be set at backcourt and our defense should be better automatically.

I think Todd could play at this level but I'm not a coach. I wish him the best.

This will probably develop so feel free to let me know your thoughts. Whether it works out for us or not, what I am seeing is the sign of a coach who knows his seat is warming, and knows he needs to win NOW.

As I stated a few weeks ago...Nobody wants to continually rebuild a roster. That doesn’t often go well. However, when you are as mediocre as TCU has been there is no reason to lament anyone moving on. Miles is your bell cow. Build around him and smartly accept that the portal is going to be a critical component for every program going forward.

netty2424

Who the hell are the starters then? Miles, Samuel...?
Good question. Almost need a re-set on the roster at this point.

Assuming Bello, and the Vandy transfer at point.
Miles/Fuller(he still here?) at 2
O’Bannon/Fuller at 3
Western Michigan kid at 4
Samuel/Lampkin at 5.

Who is/are the incoming freshmen?

EDIT Frank, until he’s not I guess.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-10_21-24-5.png
    upload_2021-4-10_21-24-5.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CountryFrog

1) Wells, Farabello
2) Miles, Fuller
3) Evans, O’Bannon
4) Cork, Frank
5) Samuel, Doumbia, Lampkin
Maybe. But in that case we'd be telling people currently on the team that they will not be starters due to 3 transfers coming in? 2 of which are from small conference schools so who the hell knows how they will transition to big 12 basketball.

The whole thing is just weird and there's no way that I'm going to be convinced that any of it is actually good outside of us suddenly winning 10 games in the conference next year.

wilson912

Maybe. But in that case we'd be telling people currently on the team that they will not be starters due to 3 transfers coming in? 2 of which are from small conference schools so who the hell knows how they will transition to big 12 basketball.

The whole thing is just weird and there's no way that I'm going to be convinced that any of it is actually good outside of us suddenly winning 10 games in the conference next year.

Do you suggest JD should not have pushed to shake up the roster........pretty dang clear the mix we had wasn’t getting it done. He has to at least try something. Keys gonna be whether Jdog is willing to change playing style a bit to better utilize players we now have and to especially cater to Miles assuming he stays.