• The KillerFrogs

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: No. 10 Red Raiders host No. 9 TCU in big-time conference clash

Punter1

I'm a pretty fluent historian of TCU sports known at times to use hyperbole when speaking of more recent events...

...but really, tonight's pitching performance by our staff has to be one of our best ever...especially considering on the road against a Top 10 team.

17 Ks
O Walks
5 hits
3 errors worked around
2 earned runs

CountryFrog

I'm a pretty fluent historian of TCU sports known at times to use hyperbole when speaking of more recent events...

...but really, tonight's pitching performance by our staff has to be one of our best ever...especially considering on the road against a Top 10 team.

17 Ks
O Walks
5 hits
3 errors worked around
2 earned runs
Best pitching performance by anyone ever in the history of baseball at any level.

Except this one game when I was coaching my kid's team in coach pitch and I threw a perfecto with all strikeouts. Those little [ Finebaum ]s couldn't touch my high heat but they just kept chasing it all game! Dumb 7 year olds. Lot of angry parents though. scheissing haters.

Punter1

Command and deception. He creates some VERY unique angles. And on top of that he has decent stuff to begin with.

You know who he reminds me of? And you may/probably disagree. Kenny Rogers.

Rubber-armed lefty who started going sidearm to create that deception. Fast worker, good athlete, high energy who started and relieved in his career. Both had good, but not great stuff but just knew how to pitch and battled their butts off. Kenny might be a little bigger but both have a lose and free motion that allowed them to pitch almost every day.

Anyway...I think Haylen makes his way thru the minors quick and with the right team makes the bigs in less than 3 years....and stays for a decade or so.

Paul in uhh

17 Ks
O Walks
5 hits
3 errors worked around
2 earned runs
17 of 27 outs were Ks? Against a top ten team? Wow.

Froglaw

Just turned on the replay. Love it.

I took my 7 yo great nephew to the Ranger game tonight. His first baseball game ever.

SD's Musgrove pitched the first No Hitter in their 52 year history.

Poor kid was bored out of his mind and never understood why we could not leave early.

He loves TCU and wanted me to check on the TCU tech score at every break.

He'll never appreciate the No Hitter and how rare it was tonight.

Moose Stuff

Rubber-armed lefty who started going sidearm to create that deception. Fast worker, good athlete, high energy who started and relieved in his career. Both had good, but not great stuff but just knew how to pitch and battled their butts off. Kenny might be a little bigger but both have a lose and free motion that allowed them to pitch almost every day.

Anyway...I think Haylen makes his way thru the minors quick and with the right team makes the bigs in less than 3 years....and stays for a decade or so.

Maybe 40 year old Kenny. What a great dude.

jake102

Awesome to still be fully loaded with Green and King rest of weekend. Maybe Green can only give us 3-4 more innings, although seems like he has no limits

flyfishingfrog

Doesn’t sing as well...plus Rogers had an affair with Dolly Parton in her prime, so he wins

Realtorfrog

Lefties at times are like Kryptonite to TCU hitters.
As they have and always will be in baseball! Just not enough of them to get comfortable. I tell my friends with left handed sons that if they are even decent they can get a ride in college at least. Just like a kid that likes to catch......

Go Frogs!!

Punter1

Maybe 40 year old Kenny. What a great dude.

40 yr old Kenny was 14-8 with a 3.46 ERA with 30 starts as a Ranger in 1994. Was shocked to see he won 219 games...thats borderline HOF numbers these days.

And yes, great dude, funny as boat....got me with a hot foot when I was down in the bullpen that burned my sock up to the back of my knee. almost. Loved it.

Moose Stuff

40 yr old Kenny was 14-8 with a 3.46 ERA with 30 starts as a Ranger in 1994. Was shocked to see he won 219 games...thats borderline HOF numbers these days.

And yes, great dude, funny as boat....got me with a hot foot when I was down in the bullpen that burned my sock up to the back of my knee. almost. Loved it.

Steve Howe set the stool I was sitting on on fire one time. The whole stool. During the game. I'm pretty sure I peed a little bit.

Moose Stuff

Glad to hear there was at least one moment of levity in his mixed up life. Pretty sad tale.

Some elaboration and another story..... so I was tasked with protecting the pitcher warming up in the bullpen (old Arlington stadium had bullpens ON the field down each line) and playing catch with the RF between innings. I would sit on a stool just outside the bullpen seating area which was basically a smaller version of the dugout. When I wasn't looking Steve Howe lined the entire bottom of my stool with alcohol soaked cotton balls and in like the 3rd inning right as I sat down after playing catch with Ruben Sierra who whoever the hell was playing RF that day he ignited the damn thing and it just goes up in flames for like 5 seconds. Scared the living [ Finebaum ] out of me. Good times Steve. As for the other story.... Kid Kraddick used to bring a group of contest winners to a game like once a home stand and sit right behind the bullpen. One night as Steve is getting loose Kidd yells at him "hey Steve, that white line is CHALK, so don't try to snort it". Steve calmly walked over and says to Kidd "do you see that bag of baseballs right there? You're about to know what it feels like to have the entire thing shoved up your ass" and then threw a few more pitches and went into the game. That was the last time Kidd sat near the bullpen.

Moose Stuff

I didn't follow along last night so not sure if it was mentioned but I just realized Tech played without their starting LF and CF last night. Two high motor good players (Dru Baker is hitting like .430) that hit at the top of the lineup and kinda make the whole thing go. Really tough loss for them.

flyfishingfrog

I didn't follow along last night so not sure if it was mentioned but I just realized Tech played without their starting LF and CF last night. Two high motor good players (Dru Baker is hitting like .430) that hit at the top of the lineup and kinda make the whole thing go. Really tough loss for them.
Yep - and their press and fans are using as point number 1 why they lost....not the 6 run first inning

from Tadlocks statement after the game- doesn’t seem like they will be back today but they are technically day to day