• The KillerFrogs

E-Sports

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Sport no, but competition absolutely and if you're intensely looking down at it, well, you're probably going to be disappointed in a lot of things over the next 30 years.

What Up Toad

The hand eye coordination and reaction time these kids have is pretty spectacular. The difference between the pros and even the 1% is about as great as the difference between the NFL and college.

But I'd agree that it's probably as much of a sport as billiards or darts.

Atom

I've been trying to think of how I define sports and this is the best I've come up with :

Use of physical skills to participate in competitions that are judged by a definitive scoring system, such as track events or basketball games, that is not subject to human judgment.

Basically, I'm saying that activities that have judges providing scores ie gymnastics or free style skiing are not sports. No doubt that they are athletes, though.

In that simplistic view, E-sports would be considered sports but I wouldn't call the participants athletes.

tcudoc

I agree

Few sports involve a bag of Funyuns and RC Cola.
giphy.gif

researchfrog

I agree

Few sports involve a bag of Funyuns and RC Cola.

I don't call them sports, but I've watched enough video game speedrunning to know that most gamers are very meticulous about what they have on their hands while gaming. So I get that it's a joke, but, while they might drink RC, funyuns are probably reserved for non-gaming time.

SuperTFrog

The hand eye coordination and reaction time these kids have is pretty spectacular. The difference between the pros and even the 1% is about as great as the difference between the NFL and college.

But I'd agree that it's probably as much of a sport as billiards or darts.
I started playing Fortnite to connect with my kids that play it. I got fluent enough in it to play relatively well. I would watch YouTube videos with them of the World Cup or whatever it was called and it literally looked like those people were playing a different game. While it is certainly not a sport, it is incredible what some of these kids can do. Watch that documentary on the Rubik’s cube kids and tell me you’re not impressed...