• The KillerFrogs

Lincoln Riley tries to cook...

Frog-in-law1995

Speaking of brisket, this morning was brisket prep for competition this weekend.

jXGndqP.jpg

US1BF2I.jpg

JugbandFrog

Some things I don’t mess with. Brisket and ribs are one of them. I don’t have the patience for all that, plus I have some of my go-to spots, so I am good.

I do make some nice fajitas and chicken, and I love that because outside of the prep, it is all done in 25 minutes

Frog-in-law1995

I hesitate to say "nice meat", but that's a damn fine slab of beef there. What grade is that? My Choice briskets, while tasty, are ugly as Baylor coeds.

That’s an Imperial wagyu from HEB, my usual for competition. Sometimes I’ll cook a prime for a smaller competitions, sometimes I’ll cook a Snake River Farms gold grade wagyu for a big competition, these are about in the middle but a little closer to the prime price, so a pretty good value. Honestly though, with the injections we use to keep moisture in, I bet you couldn’t tell 5 cents worth of difference between this and a decent Choice.

edit: and to be honest, I’m a little disappointed in this one. That looks pretty close to a prime to me.

netty2424

Speaking of brisket, this morning was brisket prep for competition this weekend.

jXGndqP.jpg

US1BF2I.jpg
Super clean!

Just curious FIL, do you ever slice off the grey-ish colored fat down the left had side(side where the big portion of the deckle fat is exposed) in the top picture? I always cut this off simply due to the look of the fat being seemingly discolored. I have seen many leave it on, but also have seen quite a few slice it off?

Frog-in-law1995

Super clean!

Just curious FIL, do you ever slice off the grey-ish colored fat down the left had side(side where the big portion of the deckle fat is exposed) in the top picture? I always cut this off simply due to the look of the fat being seemingly discolored. I have seen many leave it on, but also have seen quite a few slice it off?

Always, even for a home cook. The only outer surface that doesn’t always get at least a shaving is the top of the flat, but even that usually does (and always for a comp).