• The KillerFrogs

NCAA tourney thread

Eight

Anyone else thinking that Gonzaga might finish 4th in the Big 12, 5th in the Big 10, 4th in the SEC, etc? I haven’t followed the tourney closely so I’m not sure who they beat other than UCLA and that was a rabbit foot win.

they beat a number of highly ranked teams in preseason including kansas, wvu, iowa,and virginia

big thing is they are not overly athletic or physical and if the officials swallow their whistles they struggle against physical, athletic teams. it has been their achilles heel in their deep tourney runs.

Pharm Frog

they beat a number of highly ranked teams in preseason including kansas, wvu, iowa,and virginia

big thing is they are not overly athletic or physical and if the officials swallow their whistles they struggle against physical, athletic teams. it has been their achilles heel in their deep tourney runs.

I wonder how they’d do playing those teams twice a year but to be honest I was not that impressed with WVU or Kansas (until late) and saw Virginia twice and thought they were pedestrian at best. I just don’t see the physicality necessary to play conference-level basketball.

Eight

during preseason and early season we were told tcu was playing the stretch 4 with obannon and easley because no one played a traditional 4.

baylor playing two physical bigs on the floor at the same time seems to be working fairly well for them

TooColdU

Anyone else thinking that Gonzaga might finish 4th in the Big 12, 5th in the Big 10, 4th in the SEC, etc? I haven’t followed the tourney closely so I’m not sure who they beat other than UCLA and that was a rabbit foot win.

I’d go back to a smaller conference if it meant we were competing for championships.

Maybe we’d at least make the tournament year. But hey at least we are making more money in the Big 12.

Eight

I wonder how they’d do playing those teams twice a year but to be honest I was not that impressed with WVU or Kansas (until late) and saw Virginia twice and thought they were pedestrian at best. I just don’t see the physicality necessary to play conference-level basketball.

agree, they aren't overly physical and as i mentioned in a previous post two of their best players aren't overly athletic. consider kispert for the season and his career is 40 percent shooter from 3. last 3 games against the 3 best defensive teams the zags have faced in usc, ucla, and baylor he is below 25 percent and is basically a not factor.

i agree if you dropped them in better conference they wouldn't have been undefeated, but i also think if they were in say the pac their roster might be constructed differently

Pharm Frog

I am surprised more people didn't see this coming

Baylor runs the zone defense better than any team I have ever seen

They also shoot the 3 better than any team I have ever seen

That's a deadly combo

They shoot about 40% and Gonzaga shoots about 37%. That’s not a huge difference in a single game situation. But BU only played the Frogs once, right? That’s probably worth a couple of additional percentage points.