• The KillerFrogs

Covid Long Term Impacts on TCU

steelfrog

Tier 1
Covid has the potential to effect long-term changes on all of our lives. Like, once it is totally gone in a year or two, what will be the lasting effects on higher ed? Steel researched it a bit; there aren't a lot of good articles on the subject.

Here are some of Steel's thoughts on the subject, most of which are pretty obvious:

Remote learning - Will students seek remote learning options over in-person?

Foreign Students -- 52% of all foreign students in US universities are from China (34) and India (18); most of those were paying full boat; will they ever return in those numbers? International students make up 5.3% of the TCU student body in 2020, which was a fall of 20% from 2019.

Demand focused on results -- Will students/parents become more focused on the result of the education?

Job market effects -- will there be long-term job market effects that drive higher default rates on student loans (which now total $1.7tn, far more than the sub prime mortgage amount that tanked the economy in 2008)

In-person attendance at college sporting events; how long will it take for people to come back fully?

Any other thoughts? Just spitballing here.

A different subject is societal effects, which may include telecommuting leading to lower demand for commercial RE; fewer people dining out; movie theaters no more; concerts/symphanies/operas no more; church attendance plummeting; that the US Gov will become Big Pharma more than it has been in the past; business travel supplanted by Zoom; international travel plummeting.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I’m guessing the in person college experience outside the classroom will trump most kid’s desire to study on line.

Serious question: Do kids really consider that a selling point these days? In person relationships are not a thing any more. Talking itself, is not a thing any more.

When Steel was in college, the in-classroom classroom experience was by far the worst part of the whole deal, listening to a prof drone on about boring stuff that Steel could just as easily read hisownself.

At TCU, for every class, Steel made a point first class of finding out the attendance policy; if none, the next time the prof would see Steel was the first scheduled test.

researchfrog

I’m guessing the in person college experience outside the classroom will trump most kid’s desire to study on line.

On Tinder, the top 78% of women compete for the top 20% of men. The bottom 80% of men compete for the bottom 22% of women. Since 2008, the rate of young adult male celibacy has soared from around 8% to 27%. So tell me whether the out of classroom experience is going to be the same driving force today that it was for our generations (Boomer through Xennial)?

Yeah, it’s important because most people are not hermits, but it already wasn’t the same as back in our day before the pandemic.

Shorty

Serious question: Do kids really consider that a selling point these days? In person relationships are not a thing any more. Talking itself, is not a thing any more.

When Steel was in college, the in-classroom classroom experience was by far the worst part of the whole deal, listening to a prof drone on about boring stuff that Steel could just as easily read hisownself.

At TCU, for every class, Steel made a point first class of finding out the attendance policy; if none, the next time the prof would see Steel was the first scheduled test.
Anecdotal but my wife knows a girl that is considering TCU this fall. Her and her family are only interested if they are back to in person 100%. People aren't paying TCU prices to go to classes online and not experience the campus. Frankly the campus is more valuable/important than the education at this point.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Those second two paragraphs were stolen from my autobiography.

As to the first, I have a family member that is a senior at TCU. They have been living the college life for the past year and mostly attending online. They wouldn’t give up the college life for anything.

flyfishingfrog

feel like this was the same approach you took at law school also....how much did you pay the guy who passed the bar for you?

Virginia Frog

Anecdotal but my wife knows a girl that is considering TCU this fall. Her and her family are only interested if they are back to in person 100%. People aren't paying TCU prices to go to classes online and not experience the campus. Frankly the campus is more valuable/important than the education at this point.
TCU doesn't have the national prestige bones that should be had for a Top 50 Private and a Top 100 Major University. So a TCU diploma, but itself doesn't fly at prices that are similar to the Ivy's and Top 20 bigshot institutions. So I can see why Mom & Dad are unwilling to spend a quart million or more for Junior to obtain a TCU degree w/o the live TCU "experience" (It's what I call majoring in "Monkey Business.")

Maybesome trickery would be in order.

A longtime buddy of mine has two Dental degrees from Howard University in DC. Yea, the top HCBU school in the USA. His diplomas are in Old English an written in Latin. Looking at them one cannot discern that he DIDN'T go to HARVARD. HIs patients come in and I bet MANY of them THINK he's a Harvard brainiac (he isn't.) I don't have to tell you that Steve's rolling in dough. He came from a humble blue collar Portuguese family in Mass. Just sayin'.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
TCU doesn't have the national prestige bones that should be had for a Top 50 Private and a Top 100 Major University. So a TCU diploma, but itself doesn't fly at prices that are similar to the Ivy's and Top 20 bigshot institutions. So I can see why Mom & Dad are unwilling to spend a quart million or more for Junior to obtain a TCU degree w/o the live TCU "experience" (It's what I call majoring in "Monkey Business.")

A longtime buddy of mine has two Dental degrees from Howard University in DC. Yea, the top HCBU school in the USA. His diplomas are in Old English an written in Latin. Looking at them one cannot discern that he DIDN'T go to HARVARD. HIs patients come in and I bet MANY of them THINK he's a Harvard brainiac (he isn't.) I don't have to tell you that Steve's rolling in dough. He came from a humble blue collar Portuguese family in Mass. Just sayin'.

Not saying Harvard on the diploma would seem to be a dead giveaway.

Interesting that the top HCBU has the same US News rank as TCU (80) whatever that means...

Pharm Frog

Racist IMO

Endless Purple

Most students I come across that want to learn and do well, prefer to have in-person class and lessons. Those that don't care about learning aspect and are just signed up, tend to be fine with online and ignore most of it.