• The KillerFrogs

Norman Transcript: Lincoln Riley: Intraconference transfers 'unhealthy' for college football

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Lincoln Riley: Intraconference transfers 'unhealthy' for college football

Joe Buettner, The Norman Transcript, Okla.

Former Oklahoma quarterback Chandler Morris transferred to TCU following his freshman season but has yet to be released by OU.

TCU head coach Gary Patterson was asked of Morris' status earlier this week, which currently won't allow him to be eligible for the 2021 season.

OU coach Lincoln Riley addressed his program's decision, which he noted had nothing specifically to do with Morris but rather a view his staff holds when players transfers to other Big 12 schools.

Read more at https://news.yahoo.com/lincoln-riley-intraconference-transfers-unhealthy-224600149.html

netty2424

Baker transferred 2014, and sat out for the 2014 season. But still an interconference transfer with some new rules passed as a result of him technically being a walk-on. Lincoln and OU went to bat for him just as TCU is doing for Morris.

At the end of the day, Lincoln Riley is just being a [ hundin] about it.

Here’s the Baker story including a quote from Gary Patterson regarding Baker’s dad:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...6/baker-mayfield-texas-tech-transfer-oklahoma

Punter1

Baker transferred 2014, and sat out for the 2014 season. But still an interconference transfer with some new rules passed as a result of him technically being a walk-on. Lincoln and OU went to bat for him just as TCU is doing for Morris.

At the end of the day, Lincoln Riley is just being a [ hundin] about it.

Here’s the Baker story including a quote from Gary Patterson regarding Baker’s dad:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...6/baker-mayfield-texas-tech-transfer-oklahoma

I gotta say if Sam Jackson wanted to transfer to Baylor next year...I'd want GP to handle it the same way Lincoln is.

netty2424

I gotta say if Sam Jackson wanted to transfer to Baylor next year...I'd want GP to handle it the same way Lincoln is.
Baylor is assho tho!

Jokes aside, OU is on another level versus the rest of this league. Not sure how a kid that’s played a handful of snaps in garbage time and most likely won’t even play this year either other than a few garbage time snaps, is going to be the difference in disrupting that current OU dominance.

Baker actually started for Tech.

Pharm Frog

I don’t know who Sam Jackson is but I tend to agree that this hunt for PT resulting in transfer after transfer is not collegiate athletics IMO. Start up a developmental league completely separate from college if you want to do this stuff.

ShreveFrog

Wow. Mayfield's dad must be an All World Major League Prick if he's why Tech and TCU didn't offer scholarships (though I understand we were committed to Boykin as our future qb, which turned out fine, if you can forget that whole San Antonio thing. And actually, that turned out great, unless you left at halftime.)

Anyway, serious question. Can someone explain to me why Morris should be given immediate eligibility at TCU, given the rules? TIA.

Eight

Wow. Mayfield's dad must be an All World Major League Prick if he's why Tech and TCU didn't offer scholarships (though I understand we were committed to Boykin as our future qb, which turned out fine, if you can forget that whole San Antonio thing. And actually, that turned out great, unless you left at halftime.)

Anyway, serious question. Can someone explain to me why Morris should be given immediate eligibility at TCU, given the rules? TIA.

have you seen our back up quarterback situation?

other than that, i guess because the ncaa has basically thrown out oversight in this manner.

do think it would be interesting what gary's reaction would be if zach evans declared he was going to transfer to ou for example

Last edited:

Wexahu

Don't have a problem with this, and honestly, I don't feel all that bad for Morris either. I believe we recruited him pretty heavily, he should have just come to play for TCU in the first place. Sit out a year and then get on with your football career, that's the way it should be, whether it's an inter conference transfer or not. I just wish it was a hard and fast rule and not dependent on "releases" from other schools.

CardFrog

If other conferences are allowing transfers within the conference with no penalty, the Big 12 is foolish to allow OU to get away with this. All it does is result in a talent drain from the Big 12, which is already behind the SEC and Big 10, and IMO has been fading into ACC territory.
Clemson is in the ACC, I would take that! But I agree with your post.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Give us quality depth behind Max. It would seem to be to his benefit to actually sit out a year.

Is the plan to make him eligible, then redshirt him?

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
O.K. So, lemme get this straight: Our QB depth chart consists of Max, and..? Nobody? We have one guy who is capable of taking snaps?

This evidently leaves our back up situation to the tender whims of Lincoln Riley.

I cannot believe there isn't at least two or three guys there who can at least take snaps. Incoming FR or something. Our old QB coach must have scared them off...

Eight

O.K. So, lemme get this straight: Our QB depth chart consists of Max, and..? Nobody? We have one guy who is capable of taking snaps?

This evidently leaves our back up situation to the tender whims of Lincoln Riley.

I cannot believe there isn't at least two or three guys there who can at least take snaps. Incoming FR or something. Our old QB coach must have scared them off...

define "capable"..... not a 9.95er so i don't have the latest and greatest info from behind the purple curtain, but the depth chart without morris looks something like:

max
matthew downing
trent battle, alexander honing, and sam jackson (listed alphabetically)

jackson and honing haven't played in two years and i am not sure of the competition level in germany for honing. battle is supposedly more of an athlete than a quarterback which some say the same of honing and regardless of what we were told last year by a certain service downing was not a solid replacement for max

will say the depth chart at quarterback might not be the thinnest on the squad as cornerback is already down stewart and jenkins, daniels hasn't played a full season in two years, and they slid a guy over who has missed i believed 3 years recovering from a severe knee injury