• The KillerFrogs

Grant McCasland

4th. down

Every day Jamie remains our coach is one day further away from ever being any good. I think my biggest disappointment with TCU is how hard we scratched and clawed and gave everything we had to get where we were only to slowly fade back into being happy with mediocrity. One day we're gonna look up and realize we're right back where we were 30 years ago and have no one to blame but ourselves.

Sad but true but I'm to blame also for the enthusiasm originally to hire Jamie. It hasn't worked out and we don't have the $$ to make a change now. He will be gone in 3 years hopefully but until then, we will be a bottom feeder.

Eight

It amazes me that members on this board seem to think we're still in the WAC.

TCU is in the Big 12 and we continue to play some very tough OOC games (ATM and Missouri this year).

University of North Texas might have won two of those Big 12 games. Maybe.

Dixon fought injuries and Covid during the last three years.

I'm still grateful he came to TCU.

Myles is a gem of a player and if he can get two other pieces of the puzzle for next year the Frogs should be solid.

texas a&m is a very tough out of conference game?

you do realize the ags were total dog [ Finebaum ] this year?

what injuries did tcu fight last year? this year they missed farabello and? the 2018 team did have some injuries, but had bigger internal issues and imploded

no idea if the coach at University of North Texas could do a better job at tcu, but please stop making excuses for dixon and the teams results the past two years in conference

Francis Xavier

Every day Jamie remains our coach is one day further away from ever being any good. I think my biggest disappointment with TCU is how hard we scratched and clawed and gave everything we had to get where we were only to slowly fade back into being happy with mediocrity. One day we're gonna look up and realize we're right back where we were 30 years ago and have no one to blame but ourselves.
I cannot say for sure whether this will turn out true or not. I hope it doesnt. But I also think there is a chance this gets turned around while he is here. It isnt THATTTT bad yet. One more year and I will re evaluate. Hope he can.

Francis Xavier

He seems to be a good coach and produced a nice upset but let’s tap the brakes a bit. They still lost plenty of games this season and didn’t even win their conference season. Made a nice conference tourney run though to get in and they may just be getting hot at the right time.
The reality is most hires dont end up meeting expectations. An endless cycle of pissing away money.

Moose Stuff

I cannot say for sure whether this will turn out true or not. I hope it doesnt. But I also think there is a chance this gets turned around while he is here. It isnt THATTTT bad yet. One more year and I will re evaluate. Hope he can.

Barring massive personnel changes I don't see how next year is much better. Unless this new big man is like a first round talent or something.

wilson912

texas a&m is a very tough out of conference game?

you do realize the ags were total dog [ #2020 ] this year?

what injuries did tcu fight last year? this year they missed farabello and? the 2018 team did have some injuries, but had bigger internal issues and imploded

no idea if the coach at University of North Texas could do a better job at tcu, but please stop making excuses for dixon and the teams results the past two years in conference
Love to have McCasland but don’t you think he’s waiting on Baylor job???

Barring massive personnel changes I don't see how next year is much better. Unless this new big man is like a first round talent or something.

He isn't a first round talent, but could be an NBA depth guy/road warrior type in the future. He's just a smidge shorter than 7 foot but very quick/athletic, easiest way to think about it is he's similar to Samuel as a downhill player but more aggressive to the basket.

Was a 10 pts 7 board guy last season, but is off to a slower start this year at 5/4. Regardless, TCU needed more depth in the paint and limited scholarships to give this year, so he fills an important role.

Highly recommend listening to his portion of this interview, especially the portion that'll start first on this link:

Last edited:
Couple thoughts...

First, I'm not fully convinced Jamie is going to be back next year. Not saying anything is likely, just some curious things happening... Anyways, set that aside.

Second, to Moose's question above, there is going to be some significant roster change vs what we saw this year, though it may not feel like it. I expect no less than 2-4 transfers out, and at least 1-2 transfers in plus Souleymane (goes by Sou). The difference will be felt when it comes to minute distribution and production on the court.

Third, losing Farabello this year was huge as he was one of the team's more important players given his 3pt range. He was a 40% 3pt shooter his freshman year, and was up to 45% this year before his COVID injury. He seemed to be thriving in the off-point role, and you can easily see how much the team suffered having to trade his minutes for Fuller. Fuller is a nice guy, but just isn't somebody you want to give more than 5-7 minutes a game to.

Fourth, you absolutely saw several young guys grow and progress in major ways last year that will be important for 2021... Miles, Frank, and to a degree O'Bannon all grew up a bunch. That should continue this offseason as well.

Fifth... We have to hold on to our critical pieces. If Miles leaves, for instance, things get really really dark. I know the staff is highly, highly focused on this.

Here's how I see the roster and "depth" shaking out for next year... Smaller but faster team next year, more up/down:

G - Miles / Transfer1
G - Nembhard / Farabello
SF - O'Bannon / Frank / Transfer2
F - LeDee / Easley / Sou
C - Samuel / Sou

Farabello and Frank are your 6th and 7th men, Sou spells Samuel and gets 7-10 minutes a game, LeDee continues his progression as a solid defensive/rebound/role player.

I expect guys like Todd and Fuller, to the extent they are around, to have more limited minutes pending injuries.

Overall, if they stay healthy, this is a senior team that should be able to produce a 5-7th place finish in the big 12 (.500) and sniff the tournament. Probably more a high-level NIT team, but you never know.

Horny4TCU

We are not and have not been a basketball school...

Sadly, we were, then we weren't, then we were again, and now we aren't again a football school... FIRE ANDERSON AND JAMIE!!!!

Eight

Couple thoughts...

First, I'm not fully convinced Jamie is going to be back next year. Not saying anything is likely, just some curious things happening... Anyways, set that aside.

Second, to Moose's question above, there is going to be some significant roster change vs what we saw this year, though it may not feel like it. I expect no less than 2-4 transfers out, and at least 1-2 transfers in plus Souleymane (goes by Sou). The difference will be felt when it comes to minute distribution and production on the court.

Third, losing Farabello this year was huge as he was one of the team's more important players given his 3pt range. He was a 40% 3pt shooter his freshman year, and was up to 45% this year before his COVID injury. He seemed to be thriving in the off-point role, and you can easily see how much the team suffered having to trade his minutes for Fuller. Fuller is a nice guy, but just isn't somebody you want to give more than 5-7 minutes a game to.

Fourth, you absolutely saw several young guys grow and progress in major ways last year that will be important for 2021... Miles, Frank, and to a degree O'Bannon all grew up a bunch. That should continue this offseason as well.

Fifth... We have to hold on to our critical pieces. If Miles leaves, for instance, things get really really dark. I know the staff is highly, highly focused on this.

Here's how I see the roster and "depth" shaking out for next year... Smaller but faster team next year, more up/down:

G - Miles / Transfer1
G - Nembhard / Farabello
SF - O'Bannon / Frank / Transfer2
F - LeDee / Easley / Sou
C - Samuel / Sou

Farabello and Frank are your 6th and 7th men, Sou spells Samuel and gets 7-10 minutes a game, LeDee continues his progression as a solid defensive/rebound/role player.

I expect guys like Todd and Fuller, to the extent they are around, to have more limited minutes pending injuries.

Overall, if they stay healthy, this is a senior team that should be able to produce a 5-7th place finish in the big 12 (.500) and sniff the tournament. Probably more a high-level NIT team, but you never know.

o'bannon is an example of a guy who i just never saw how he fit the style of play for this team.

the idea was he was going to be a stretch 4, but he had a great deal of rust as a red-shirt junior and was sporadic from 3. bigger issue was he was overmatched on the other end on the boards.

he seemed to fit a more open court, push the ball style instead of the grind it out style

the one thing with your depth chart is that isn't smaller, but bigger than this year if frank is moving to the 3 and ledee to the 4. i also noticed no todd or fuller

o'bannon is an example of a guy who i just never saw how he fit the style of play for this team.

the idea was he was going to be a stretch 4, but he had a great deal of rust as a red-shirt junior and was sporadic from 3. bigger issue was he was overmatched on the other end on the boards.

he seemed to fit a more open court, push the ball style instead of the grind it out style

the one thing with your depth chart is that isn't smaller, but bigger than this year if frank is moving to the 3 and ledee to the 4. i also noticed no todd or fuller

Fair enough in height, my expectations are more style of play... should have been more clear. Less half court sets and off ball movement, more up tempo and downhill.

Francis Xavier

Fair enough in height, my expectations are more style of play... should have been more clear. Less half court sets and off ball movement, more up tempo and downhill.
Fuller is an enigma. Had a v good freshman year. High level athlete. Same with todd. At certain points both looked to be our best defenders. Not sure I see them both leaving. Not sure why fuller had a big slump either.

CountryFrog

Love to have McCasland but don’t you think he’s waiting on Baylor job???
I highly doubt anyone on the planet is "waiting on the Baylor job."

Roy Williams finally decides to retire this off-season. UNC calls up McCasland's agent. Agent says "Not interested. We're waiting on Baylor."

Kansas finds out that Bill Self was helping Les Miles "mentor" female students and has to fire him. They offer McCasland the job. "No thanks, I'm staying in Denton until I get the chance to move to Waco."

Greg Poppovich retires from coaching so he can help Bernie Sanders run for President in 2028. The Spurs target McCasland and offer $5 million per year. "No amount of money is worth leaving University of North Texas unless it's for that Baylor job."

Eight

agree on wanting to see the frogs push the ball more on the offensive end as i think it does fit their roster, but it requires dixon to give up some of the desire to control things on the floor

do also think the frogs absolutely have to get more from the 4 position on the defensive end and rebounding

CardFrog

Most of you are closer to the program than me, but as someone on the outside looking in, do you feel Jamie's heart is still in it? The same as when he arrived?

CountryFrog

Most of you are closer to the program than me, but as someone on the outside looking in, do you feel Jamie's heart is still in it? The same as when he arrived?
No one other than Dixon actually knows this for certain of course but I'd be incredibly surprised if Dixon isn't still fully invested in TCU. The guy has shown a great love for TCU athletics even before he got the job here. I don't care what did or didn't happen with the UCLA thing last year. If anything that maybe caused a rift between he and the administration. But a very high number of coaches have some degree of 2-way animosity with the people they work for. Particularly the coaches who are making 3-4 times the salary as the people they work for.

I'm certainly not defending the job that Dixon has done here. Not anymore. These last 2 seasons have been brutal. But I highly doubt it's a result of him losing any passion. These coaches are competition addicts. They have to be in order to get to where they are. There's no way he just lost all that in a single off-season.

Francis Xavier

No one other than Dixon actually knows this for certain of course but I'd be incredibly surprised if Dixon isn't still fully invested in TCU. The guy has shown a great love for TCU athletics even before he got the job here. I don't care what did or didn't happen with the UCLA thing last year. If anything that maybe caused a rift between he and the administration. But a very high number of coaches have some degree of 2-way animosity with the people they work for. Particularly the coaches who are making 3-4 times the salary as the people they work for.

I'm certainly not defending the job that Dixon has done here. Not anymore. These last 2 seasons have been brutal. But I highly doubt it's a result of him losing any passion. These coaches are competition addicts. They have to be in order to get to where they are. There's no way he just lost all that in a single off-season.
This is generally my sentiment. If you arent trying , it is potentially career suicide. I certainly do think the UCLA thing is a bigger deal inside the dept than his effort level though. In hindsight, I could imagine why that would cause a riff.