• The KillerFrogs

OT: Interesting Article abt Pac-12 and Networks Leaving it Behind

Future of Pac-12 Networks in doubt as sports media world threatens to leave conference behind
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03...rld-threatens-to-leave-the-conference-behind/
Pac-12 Network has lost 17 percent of subscribers in two years

• The Pac-12 Network (the national network) now has just 14.8 million subscribers, according to Dec. ’20 estimates provided to the Hotline by S&P Global Market Intelligence.

That figure represents a drop of 17 percent over the past two years, based on S&P data: In Feb. ’19, the national network had 17.9 million subscribers. (At its peak five years ago, it had more than 19 million.)

In comparison, the Big Ten and SEC networks are believed to have more than 50 million subscribers.

• The Pac-12 Network, which is available on a basic tier on many cable systems within the conference footprint and a sports tier outside the footprint, produces an average of just 13 cents per subscriber per month, according to S&P.

In contrast, the Big Ten and SEC networks reportedly charge in excess of 50 cents per subscriber.

• In the 2019 fiscal year (the most recent available), the Pac-12 Networks reported $123 million in revenue and $90 million in expenses, with an average of $2.8 million sent to each campus.

ticketfrog123

If there’s a true shift to WFH for tech employees moving outside of the PAC-12 footprint, then they are absolutely screwed.

I believe they tried to hold the conference championship game at 5 PM local in SF on a Friday and it wasn’t more than 40% full due to traffic issues getting to Levi’s stadium or wherever.

I prefer just taking ASU and Arizona instead of doing a 2nd division where we subtract the Washington schools and Stanford

Endless Purple

I think the impact of the media pushing SEC and Big 10 as the only real football and putting all their money into broadcasting those two conferences is having an impact. The casual fan will gravitate to those two as that is what they are told is good to watch. Other factors as well, but I don't think the media power can be ignored.

FrogAbroad

I think the impact of the media pushing SEC and Big 10 as the only real football and putting all their money into broadcasting those two conferences is having an impact. The casual fan will gravitate to those two as that is what they are told is good to watch. Other factors as well, but I don't think the media power can be ignored.
We ignore that power at our peril. If the media want, say, OU and TU to be part of some megaconference it'll be financial curtains for the B12. It'll be the B8 once again, with only slightly more marketability than the MWC.