• The KillerFrogs

Has TCU maximized its Potential?

steelfrog

Tier 1
The Big12 invite maximized our potential. We now have the ability to compete at the highest level.
This is also wrong. The highest level we ever competed at we were not in the B12. Once could easily make the case that had we stayed out of the B12 we woulda had a better shot at a playoff berth than we have had since being in the B12 which is to say, none. Plus, our travel destinations for away games suck. It all came down to money, not competition. Everything with greedy corporations like TCU comes down to money. Grow the bottom line or die.

HG73

This is also wrong. The highest level we ever competed at we were not in the B12. Once could easily make the case that had we stayed out of the B12 we woulda had a better shot at a playoff berth than we have had since being in the B12 which is to say, none. Plus, our travel destinations for away games suck. It all came down to money, not competition. Everything with greedy corporations like TCU comes down to money. Grow the bottom line or die.
So, you want to go back to the Mountain West? And make a million dollars a year from our TV contract? Play our traditional rivals SDS, Fresno and Wyoming? Starts at 9PM? Over by 1AM? Are you insane? Of course you are.

steelfrog

Tier 1
So, you want to go back to the Mountain West? And make a million dollars a year from our TV contract? Play our traditional rivals SDS, Fresno and Wyoming? Starts at 9PM? Over by 1AM? Are you insane? Of course you are.

first of all, Steel doesn’t give 2 dogcrap about whether tcu makes $1mm or $1bn. Like every corporation, tcu is a greedy pig that will still beg for money and raise prices regardless of how many billions it accumulates.

and yes, steel would much rather watch the team win 80%+ of its games instead of 50%. And travel to infinitely more interesting places to see fakes than the awful destinations that the b12 offers. And have a better chance at going undefeated and making the playoffs.

westoverhillbilly

Plus, our travel destinations for away games suck. It all came down to money, not competition. Everything with greedy corporations like TCU comes down to money. Grow the bottom line or die.

TCU was unique and very fortunate to have wealthy and supportive alumnae and friends who, after the breakup of the SWC, agreed to fund shortfalls/deficits in revenue to allow us to function as if we were a P5 program while we were competing in the mid-majors and drawing peanut TV proceeds. This is what separated us from fellow leftovers Rice, SMU and even UH. This was not going to continue ad Infinitum. At some point, these donors would die out (we’ve lost some recently) and/or we would hit a patch of mediocrity and the money would have stopped flowing. We were so blessed to have gotten the Big 12 invite when we did.

nrhfrog

TCU Sports reminds me of what happened when Arkansas left the SWC.
The Razorbacks traded perennial success in the SWC for a perennial big pay day in the SEC. Their football program has never recovered. Basketball is experiencing a resurgence this year, but has been mediocre at best since joining the SEC.
Thanks to the SEC big payout, though, everyone at Arkansas smiles with their big paycheck and beautiful facilities.....everyone except the fans.

Arkie has a big and rabid fan base which will continue to fill the stadium. Our fan base is neither big or rabid (except on those rare occasions when we have an excellent/successful program). Maybe we just need to have a chip on our shoulder (rather than the money/prestige of the Big 12).

The other good thing we had in the MWC was the overwhelming support of the Fort Worth community. That support was diluted greatly when we started to compete against our old SWC foes in the Big 12. Many of those alums are no longer interested in supporting TCU Athletics because we compete against their schools.

I know we can never go back, but I do wonder how we will ever generate the enthusiasm again unless VB and the Board quit living off the memories of the Rose Bowl and commit to excellence again. They seem much more focused on having a woke university. Looking at the "good ole boys" mentality that has re-infected the Athletics Department over the last few years, it's hard to be very optimistic.

LSU Game Attendee

perennial success in the SWC
tenor.gif

HG73

first of all, Steel doesn’t give 2 dogcrap about whether tcu makes $1mm or $1bn. Like every corporation, tcu is a greedy pig that will still beg for money and raise prices regardless of how many billions it accumulates.

and yes, steel would much rather watch the team win 80%+ of its games instead of 50%. And travel to infinitely more interesting places to see fakes than the awful destinations that the b12 offers. And have a better chance at going undefeated and making the playoffs.
You are absolutely dumber than I thought you were. And that was a very low bar indeed.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Best place to see fakes is probably south Florida. Maybe Scottsdale. I’m all for seeing fakes. And reals.

flyfishingfrog

I think for a school our size with our history, we've done remarkable. Unfortunately since the Big 12 CCG in 2017 (and CWS in 2017?), we've done absolutely nothing since then. 2018, 2019 and 2020 were complete busts. 2021 is going to start with basketball collapsing, and potentially a disappointing baseball team - TBD there. Getting to the point where patterns are turning into expectations and the future isn't quite as bright. We have two pretty clear comps in Baylor and SMU, and we are underperforming Baylor but massively better than SMU.
could give a crap about SMU since whatever they achieve - they achieve it at a lower level that us.

Concerning to me is in many areas with the Athletic Department - which have flipped places with both Baylor and Tech in the last 4 years.

Winning is a mindset that we had for a decade - losing can also become one if you let it.

flyfishingfrog

I want to win games - period.

This "we lose to the best and that makes us better" [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] that Aggy pushes is just that - [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. Getting you butt kicked by the best still makes you a loser.

I watch TCU for enjoyment - and winning is enjoyable.

If we could consistently win against B12 teams it would be more enjoyable that winning against MWC or WAC teams - obviously.

But losing to B12 teams that we have a "traditional rivalry" with is not more enjoyable than consistently beating teams in better vacation spots that Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas - sorry, watching TCU lose sucks regardless of what team colors are on the other side of the field.

JugbandFrog

I don’t think he gets the fact that we COULD be better, and my belief is that the AD is the reason why we aren’t. We have everything we need to be better than Baylor in almost everything, but we aren’t. The only person their is to blame is the AD.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I want to win games - period.

This "we lose to the best and that makes us better" [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] that Aggy pushes is just that - [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]. Getting you butt kicked by the best still makes you a loser.

I watch TCU for enjoyment - and winning is enjoyable.

If we could consistently win against B12 teams it would be more enjoyable that winning against MWC or WAC teams - obviously.

But losing to B12 teams that we have a "traditional rivalry" with is not more enjoyable than consistently beating teams in better vacation spots that Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas - sorry, watching TCU lose sucks regardless of what team colors are on the other side of the field.
Precisely. The “We’re just happy to be here” is a yuge pile of unmitigated dogcrap.

“oh but everything comes down to money. We won then because there were donors giving money who made our kids make tackles and catch passes and make blocks on the field. And now the people with money are dying off so the kids decided not to make tackles and catch passes and make blocks. “

73 makes some of the dumbest arguments in history.

steel said when we made this move that it’s a bad idea and would suck for fans and guess what, that was correct. And the future looks no different.

HG73

Precisely. The “We’re just happy to be here” is a yuge pile of unmitigated dogcrap.

“oh but everything comes down to money. We won then because there were donors giving money who made our kids make tackles and catch passes and make blocks on the field. And now the people with money are dying off so the kids decided not to make tackles and catch passes and make blocks. “

73 makes some of the dumbest arguments in history.

steel said when we made this move that it’s a bad idea and would suck for fans and guess what, that was correct. And the future looks no different.
Okay genius, what conference do you want to play in?

Eight

I don’t think he gets the fact that we COULD be better, and my belief is that the AD is the reason why we aren’t. We have everything we need to be better than Baylor in almost everything, but we aren’t. The only person their is to blame is the AD.

not defending jeremiah, but do you truly believe he has any influence over gary's program or the future of jamie dixon?

don't believe del conte had any say as well.