• The KillerFrogs

Fire Jeremiah Donati. Really. He needs to go.

YA

Why would an EMBA alum be expected to know the names of residence halls? I don’t even know the name of the Rec Center where I used to take my family to swim and taught my children not to call me “dad” too loudly.

She ended up attending college at my undergraduate alma mater (and Mrs Pharm’s) which is Angelo State. Got her degree in three years and lived in a residence hall that was like luxury living compared to my RA days on the 10th floor of the Men’s High Rise. And far better than what she was shown on the campus tour although they did say they had nicer, newer halls. Three years...degree...no debt...gainfully employed with a salary I didn’t see until my early ‘30’s and bonus potential to boot. Thanks for asking.
LOL--Angelo State dorm rooms--real nice!!
42737_COM_0974.rev.1602779148.jpg

https://www.angelo.edu/life-on-campus/live/residence-halls/carr-hall.php
https://www.angelo.edu/life-on-campus/live/residence-halls/plaza-verde.php
https://www.angelo.edu/life-on-campus/live/residence-halls/vanderventer-apartments.php
https://www.angelo.edu/life-on-campus/live/residence-halls/the-massies.php
https://www.angelo.edu/life-on-campus/live/residence-halls/centennial-village.php

Endless Purple

made this comment a while back, but our youngest was very interested in attending tcu until she attended a few summer camps.

came back from the second and she asked me if it would bother me if tcu moved down her list and i said it was her choice. did ask her why the change and she said she coiuldn't relate to any of the high school kids at the camp or the students she interacted with. said she was one of the few who had a job and she was fairly certain she was the only one who bought her own car.

This is a very sad state for where is. I wish they could bring back that middle class group of working family students. BAsed on her description I probably would not have attended either.

Endless Purple

to be honest that sounds like a TCU Faculty member who thinks they have more power than then they do.

But let's face it - our faculty is a big bunch of whiner ass scared babies only concerned about themselves not the school masquerading as socially conscious "leaders" of our children.

Not just at TCU.

I think it is not just scared about their own safety, but their huge egos on proper govt controlled lives to an extreme. I look forward to bumping heads as I move into their realm.

Eight

This is a very sad state for where is. I wish they could bring back that middle class group of working family students. BAsed on her description I probably would not have attended either.

when i think back, i doubt some of the very best people i knew at tcu most likely wouldn't have been there with today's pricing.

not just tcu though, we knew more than a few families where the kids did not have job until they got out of college

Pharm Frog

Not her hall but still far nicer and newer than the one she was shown at TCU and I'm not complaining about anything on this because I don't care. Didn't care then and don't care now. I've heard repeatedly here that the TCU dorms are incredibly nice and I have no reason to disbelieve that. In fact, I am confident that they are and a lot of signs point to that including but not limited to the price of attendance. Conversely, my son lived in a horrid dorm his freshman year with community bathrooms allegedly remodeled during the Eisenhower administration. Still got his degree, no debt, and is gainfully employed as well. My daughter saw some incredibly nice residence halls at places she opted not to attend. Some were private schools and others public. Far too much "arms race" in residence living and I expect it to crash.

Endless Purple

when i think back, i doubt some of the very best people i knew at tcu most likely wouldn't have been there with today's pricing.

not just tcu though, we knew more than a few families where the kids did not have job until they got out of college

Not even just the money. I had a roommate my first semester. He was smart and a nice guy, but stereotypical frat guy with money. Not someone I ever would hang out with and if that was the type I thought was all of TCU, then I would have found another school.

Can't imagine hiring someone out of college that had not held a job before.

researchfrog

made this comment a while back, but our youngest was very interested in attending tcu until she attended a few summer camps.

came back from the second and she asked me if it would bother me if tcu moved down her list and i said it was her choice. did ask her why the change and she said she coiuldn't relate to any of the high school kids at the camp or the students she interacted with. said she was one of the few who had a job and she was fairly certain she was the only one who bought her own car.

This. This and what Maniac described are why I am going through the motions of seeing if TCU will come up with more financial aid. My son will go to UT-D for better than free and he'll be fine. Seems like TCU doesn't have much appetite for high performing middle class kids.

Mean Purple

The movement started long ago when market forces were removed from the college education equation.

Anybody can now take selected online classes created at Harvard and MIT for free.

at a time when the delivery of information has never been cheaper, “higher education” is more expensive than ever. Unsustainable.

oh but our children are entitled to the “college experience”. What’s that, living with no limits in their years most vulnerable to drugs and alcohol? In TCUs case, living in dorms that are more nicely appointed than their own family’s homes?

it’s nuts.
Agree to a point. My dorm sucked. it was always frickin cold. But the girls walking back and forth by our window to the school of dance was nice.

flyfishingfrog

This. This and what Maniac described are why I am going through the motions of seeing if TCU will come up with more financial aid. My son will go to UT-D for better than free and he'll be fine. Seems like TCU doesn't have much appetite for high performing middle class kids.
Did he early decision? 80% of the kids that get academic performance related scholarships during early decisions are what most would call middle class

but if you wait until the pool is significantly smaller dollar wise after early decisions grants and the number of applicants asking is larger - then you are going to get less

for all the complaining I hear from Alumni about TCU not wanting their kids - the percentage of those kids that early decision is amazingly low - so guessing their kids didn’t really want TCU that bad either

researchfrog

Did he early decision? 80% of the kids that get academic performance related scholarships during early decisions are what most would call middle class

but if you wait until the pool is significantly smaller dollar wise after early decisions grants and the number of applicants asking is larger - then you are going to get less

for all the complaining I hear from Alumni about TCU not wanting their kids - the percentage of those kids that early decision is amazingly low - so guessing their kids didn’t really want TCU that bad either

He did early action and met all the deadlines. Salutatorian, three-year high school grad, plenty of AP/dual-credit, 1560 SAT, and National Merit Finalist. Offered a Dean's Scholarship and $28k in loans each year. We don't make enough to pay tuition at schools like Chicago or Rice, but TCU admissions won't even return an email. Could've been a fourth gen frog.

ticketfrog123

He did early action and met all the deadlines. Salutatorian, three-year high school grad, plenty of AP/dual-credit, 1560 SAT, and National Merit Finalist. Offered a Dean's Scholarship and $28k in loans each year. We don't make enough to pay tuition at schools like Chicago or Rice, but TCU admissions won't even return an email. Could've been a fourth gen frog.

Chicago and rice have some of the best financial aid packages in the country. Post doesn’t make much sense.

never heard of a salutatorian not interviewing for chancellor scholarship. Knew plenty with much lower than 1560/1600 SAT scores

flyfishingfrog

Did you try and contact the dean of admissions? Heath would run naked through snow to make sure he returns every email he gets and your child’s stats are better than most Chancellor scholars - seems like something is amiss and he would have reviewed it personally

because your child is exactly who early action is built for honestly

Did you try and contact the dean of admissions? Heath would run naked through snow to make sure he returns every email he gets and your child’s stats are better than most Chancellor scholars - seems like something is amiss and he would have reviewed it personally

@researchfrog This. Call Admissions and ask for Heath directly.

SoonerFrogs

it was like this in Fall 1996. I went to orientation or whatever they call it and it was exactly the same then. I was a poor schmuck with absolutely nothing in common with anyone else there. My time at TCU was short lived because of it.

ticketfrog123

im not sure what Heath can change at this point. The chancellor scholar stuff has been decided - dean’s is the next highest scholarship but its value hasn’t increased in over 10 years I believe (stayed at 25k while tuition keeps going up)

overall, I agree it’s stupid to have such a huge gap between full tuition and the next scholarship tier is only 25k on a $65k cost of attendance

steelfrog

Tier 1

This post evidences to Steel that you haven't done much research.

Rice and Northwestern and several other schools give a full scholly if you qualify for ANY financial aid, essentially. (Rice's is a bit more limited but if you can't pay, you prolly would qualify for full). These would be need-based awards. A&M gives full scholly to NM Finalists (Steel's daughter gets PAID extra money every semester). But who cares if it's need-based or academic scholly. There are many other options also. At any rate, why would you send your kid to TCU when he could go to a much better school? Probably for less money?