• The KillerFrogs

OT: Concrete Prices

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I think it is going to be a while until prices pull back. It’s going to take a dramatic increase in rates to slow construction. For a few data points as to where we are compared about 6-7 years ago:

Concrete was $60/yd and now it is $120
Framing was $3.50/sf and now it is $6
Painting was $3/sf and now it is over $5
Lumber was typically $6-8/sf and now it is $15
Slab labor was $1.35 and now it is $2.50

We have to go a long way to get anywhere close to where we were 6 years ago.
Nope. No inflation happening in this country. Everything is fine.

Wexahu

Nope. No inflation happening in this country. Everything is fine.

I’ve noticed that everywhere I go eat lunch at work it costs me about a dollar more than it did 6 months ago. Doesn’t seem like much but that’s 8-10%. How “official” inflation is 2-3% is a head scratcher. Not to mention gas and construction prices. And of course my auto, home and health insurance goes up every year at least 4-5%, if I’m lucky.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’ve noticed that everywhere I go eat lunch at work it costs me about a dollar more than it did 6 months ago. Doesn’t seem like much but that’s 8-10%. How “official” inflation is 2-3% is a head scratcher. Not to mention gas and construction prices. And of course my auto, home and health insurance goes up every year at least 4-5%, if I’m lucky.
Core inflation measurements conveniently do not include food and energy prices. There is logic behind leaving them out but it’s definitely playing with the numbers. If food is up 20 percent it still costs more to live.

Lumber prices are up 130 percent since last April. I’m sure other building materials are as well. But I’m lazy and quit looking for more data.

Either way, there is plenty of inflation happening regardless of what big papa government has to say. And more coming. Can’t keep printing money without consequences.

Punter1

Paying cash will definitely give you a discount with most...as will doing a job during the slow months like December and January.

Starting a job now, you'll pay 20% more than in the dead of the winter.

Punter1

Core inflation measurements conveniently do not include food and energy prices. There is logic behind leaving them out but it’s definitely playing with the numbers. If food is up 20 percent it still costs more to live.

Lumber prices are up 130 percent since last April. I’m sure other building materials are as well. But I’m lazy and quit looking for more data.

Either way, there is plenty of inflation happening regardless of what big papa government has to say. And more coming. Can’t keep printing money without consequences.

Yep...but until the demand stops here in Texas prices will keep going up.

The problem is homebuilders are going thru their lot inventories faster than they and developers can get lots entitled and permitted so there is a true shortage in land and lots.

Consequently builders are overpaying for land and finished lots which drives up the starting home prices...and with tons of customers everyday buying homes, the builders keep raising the prices even higher.

Ron Swanson

If you’re interested in something more colorful than standard concrete, or just not having a disgusting broken up slab like I did, I used Eco-Stain to stain my front porch slab and back patio. I troweled on a whole new top layer using a concrete mix on the front porch and then stained & sealed it, then on the back patio I just stained and sealed it.

Probably cost me about $750 to do both if I had to guess. Here are some before and after pics. The front patio was definitely worth doing, it’s like a completely new space. Back patio I’m still working on, but the navy color was a nice change of pace to start.
0094BDD0-A1C9-4AF9-A6D9-DC3685C95BA2.jpeg 228D280E-0E8E-4793-A30E-A98947C266AF.jpeg 3C7B36B4-D83C-45AD-ABF1-EDDCCD3063F5.jpeg 0414429E-CBEA-45C9-ACE3-9A54CCAA80AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Mean Purple

Is $4,800 a good price for a 400sqft. concrete slab? Looking to install 40x10 rectangle in the backyard for a patio base.
Sounds high. Do they understand that it is just a patio pour and not a home slab with plumbing rough, etc? (Would still freaking be high for that.)

06DallasFrog

Lumber is insane. Adding $11psf in hard costs to our projects since last September. Mills keep finding ways to slow production and keep the price high.