• The KillerFrogs

The case for keeping Jamie..

Farmfrog

I hadn’t perused the site in a few days having been away attending a funeral but I want to post a few thoughts I had.

1 No realistic Frog fan believes Jamie will be fired nor should he be after this trying season. He has built up enough good will to receive another year to see if he can turn the direction around. He doesn’t seem to be able to recruit the type of player he needs to win with. His roster building the last couple of years has left something to be desired.

2 His player development has been sorely lacking. Samuel still looks as ineffective now as he did two years ago. RJ is better but can we really say that is because of Jamie or the work that he put in but I can give Jamie some of the credit. LaDee seems to be improving so he gets some credit there as well. We won’t know about the freshmen until next year but they all have to get better.

3 The scheme we run is quite possibly the worst in all of the P5. There is no movement, no screens except at the top of the key and we never a play run to get our best players good looks. There was one good thing that came out of the UT game that no one has pointed out but I will let you think on it. Bottom line is we run a stagnant offense that starts 35’ from goal and depends almost exclusively on dribble penetration.

4 Here’s where I’m going to get vile, venom and ridicule but I have to say it. The OP states that all the resources should be funneled to football and that quite frankly is effing poppycock. If the administration believes that TCU should not strive to play at the highest levels then they should shut hoops down. I’ve stated many times that I’m a sports fan and follow all sports and if they ever say that I will cease to be a TCU fan. There is no reason not to be able to compete at the highest level with the resources that TCU has. Either make it a priority and treat it as so or shut it down.

Big Frog II

I don't think TCU has short changed the MBB program. We are spending plenty of money on it. Jamie had us going in the right direction the first 2 or 3 years, and then we seem to have lost our way. I don't know what has happened but we need to figure it out fast.

Froggish

thing is, as i pointed out in the thread about the game yesterday is tcu has spent significant dollars to improve various aspects of the program and are spending significant dollars for a head coach and staff of a team where players aren't improving as a whole and team play has been sporadic and disheveled

no need to spend more money, but the amount of money being spent does warrant expectations to be competent and competitive

100% agree but you can’t properly hold Jamie accountable (fire) without spending money. We are 18 months away from dropping sports. Paying Jamie to go away is an irresponsible way to spend what money we have left.

Froggish

I hadn’t perused the site in a few days having been away attending a funeral but I want to post a few thoughts I had.

1 No realistic Frog fan believes Jamie will be fired nor should he be after this trying season. He has built up enough good will to receive another year to see if he can turn the direction around. He doesn’t seem to be able to recruit the type of player he needs to win with. His roster building the last couple of years has left something to be desired.

2 His player development has been sorely lacking. Samuel still looks as ineffective now as he did two years ago. RJ is better but can we really say that is because of Jamie or the work that he put in but I can give Jamie some of the credit. LaDee seems to be improving so he gets some credit there as well. We won’t know about the freshmen until next year but they all have to get better.

3 The scheme we run is quite possibly the worst in all of the P5. There is no movement, no screens except at the top of the key and we never a play run to get our best players good looks. There was one good thing that came out of the UT game that no one has pointed out but I will let you think on it. Bottom line is we run a stagnant offense that starts 35’ from goal and depends almost exclusively on dribble penetration.

4 Here’s where I’m going to get vile, venom and ridicule but I have to say it. The OP states that all the resources should be funneled to football and that quite frankly is effing poppycock. If the administration believes that TCU should not strive to play at the highest levels then they should shut hoops down. I’ve stated many times that I’m a sports fan and follow all sports and if they ever say that I will cease to be a TCU fan. There is no reason not to be able to compete at the highest level with the resources that TCU has. Either make it a priority and treat it as so or shut it down.

TCU Basketball is not underachieving because of lack of resources..It’s failing because JD is failing. It is that simple. We are not a huge school with endless resources. The well of money from donors is relatively small. We have not yet even felt the the full weight of the financial fall out that COVID has thrust on TCU athletics. Preserving our football cash cow should be our #1 priority. I never advocated for reducing spending on basketball only that unnecessary spending for things like buyouts isn’t very wise.

JD could go tomorrow and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings a bit. He’s a third tier coach at best who showed his true colors when he wanted to use us to jump start his relocation to the west coast.

Francis Xavier

TCU Basketball is not underachieving because of lack of resources..It’s failing because JD is failing. It is that simple. We are not a huge school with endless resources. The well of money from donors is relatively small. We have not yet even felt the the full weight of the financial fall out that COVID has thrust on TCU athletics. Preserving our football cash cow should be our #1 priority. I never advocated for reducing spending on basketball only that unnecessary spending for things like buyouts isn’t very wise.

JD could go tomorrow and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings a bit. He’s a third tier coach at best who showed his true colors when he wanted to use us to jump start his relocation to the west coast.
This is a very contradictory post.

Francis Xavier

I would put our odds, if we can keep the nucleus together, of making the tourney next year to be 60-70%.

I hope miles doesnt go, he has alot to prove. Rj same thing

kevin should stay, Souleymane is a freak athlete, Ledee looking better, Todd looking better.

I know what PJ is capable of. I dont know if it is a system thing or not, but to get into the open court defense must force turnovers.

heck, Easley showing flashes too. Either way, I stated my mentality. Tourney next year or bust. IMO.

denverfrog

Jamie gets one more piece of the puzzle and doesn’t lose anyone key and this is an automatic tournament team, he gets 2 then this team could easily be sweet 16. There will always be fans that peruse is the second tier teams that are having a good year or a name guy that has struggled for a couple of years and want a change. This team is no where near needing a new coach.

westoverhillbilly

i understand the discussion about academics etc...but how does that correlate to the inability to develop the talent on the roster?

how does that relate to the inability or resistance to run an offensive system that fits the talent on the roster?

I didn't state anywhere that Jaime is doing a good job of developing his talent or about his inability to run an offensive system befitting his talent. I'm actually starting to have huge doubts as five years has come and gone with 1 tourney berth.

My point is just that TCU men's basketball has been uncompetitive for 50 years with its conference mates in some part due to its not making academics passable for most of its players- many of whom aren't as gifted as the general student body. One of Tubbs' assistants told me that his players would give up after professors made life difficult for them which affected their on court performance, whereas in their prior time at OU, this was not an issue or anything even needing a discussion. This was on of the primary rifts that TCU and Tubbs had with each other.

Eight

I didn't state anywhere that Jaime is doing a good job of developing his talent or about his inability to run an offensive system befitting his talent. I'm actually starting to have huge doubts as five years has come and gone with 1 tourney berth.

My point is just that TCU men's basketball has been uncompetitive for 50 years with its conference mates in some part due to its not making academics passable for most of its players- many of whom aren't as gifted as the general student body. One of Tubbs' assistants told me that his players would give up after professors made life difficult for them which affected their on court performance, whereas in their prior time at OU, this was not an issue or anything even needing a discussion. This was on of the primary rifts that TCU and Tubbs had with each other.

"My point is just that TCU men's basketball has been uncompetitive for 50 years with its conference mates in some part due to its not making academics passable for most of its players- many of whom aren't as gifted as the general student body"

wow

OmniscienceFrog

Shut down the whole athletic department?
Or by "shut down" do you mean to just put no emphasis whatsoever on hoops and just play out a schedule every year? If you decided to announce the elimination of the basketball program you would also be announcing your departure from the Big 12 and any conference for that matter.

OmniscienceFrog

"My point is just that TCU men's basketball has been uncompetitive for 50 years with its conference mates in some part due to its not making academics passable for most of its players- many of whom aren't as gifted as the general student body"

wow
Do you completely disagree with the premise or just aren't willing to state it out loud?

Eight

Do you completely disagree with the premise or just aren't willing to state it out loud?

disagree that for 50 years tcu has impaired their basketball program by not giving their players a free pass.

we aren't exactly talking harvard or rice for that matter and somehow, some way we kept some athletes in school for 4 years who weren't exactly great students

Francis Xavier

Jamie gets one more piece of the puzzle and doesn’t lose anyone key and this is an automatic tournament team, he gets 2 then this team could easily be sweet 16. There will always be fans that peruse is the second tier teams that are having a good year or a name guy that has struggled for a couple of years and want a change. This team is no where near needing a new coach.
I generally agree. Hate to say it, but who the hell are tcu fans to act all high and mighty(when we were a Tourney team, didnt even pack the arena)

I do not believe we need a change. Taking the worst P5 team(save maybe rutgers) to even where we are now is a pretty good job.

we need some studs though.

Eight

I generally agree. Hate to say it, but who the hell are tcu fans to act all high and mighty(when we were a Tourney team, didnt even pack the arena)

I do not believe we need a change. Taking the worst P5 team(save maybe rutgers) to even where we are now is a pretty good job.

we need some studs though.

the worst p5 basketball program?

watchfrog

I know we all were hoping for more this season, but if you look at the record of the 13 losses only Providence, Kansas St. & Missouri are currently not in the AP top 25 (Mizzou was when we played them). Granted we would have likely lost all 5 of the COVID cancelled games but the Big 12 was especially tough this year.

steelfrog

Tier 1

wow
Racism alive and well...